RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J8manski View Post
Thank you all for all the advice! This is more or less what I was looking for. Its hard search this question as most of the time when I see "extended warranty" in a search, its people who are set in buying one and are looking for the best one, or people who have extended warranties and are trying to use it. I am glad that so many people on here have not really had any issues that made them regret not buying the warranty. I read the fine print, and I see what "should" be covered, but I do know they still find ways around sadly. Aside from talking about if this warranty is like that or not, my main question was if I should get one. And it seems as if most people (who have responded so far that is), think I would be safe not getting one. Someone mentioned I do not know how well it was taken care of before by previous owner, which is a gamble; I agree. However only being 1 year old, I really hope they couldnt have messed it up that much...... guess I will see.

To the person who said that 12 years is a lot of time to finance and being upside down and what not. We plan to pay it off sooner then the pay date. We chose a cheaper price tag to keep payments low, but plan to pay more then that monthly towards principle to pay off sooner. But if anything were to happen to the wife or I, we can fall back to the lower monthly payment and not have to worry about late fees or losing our camper and hurting our credit score. We built in our own safety net I guess you could call it. Thank you though for the input, its nice to see people looking out for others.

I will still keep my eye on this and see what others chime in and say though. I just want to hear from a random assortment of people from around the country and not just from my in-laws and theyre friends. Not saying I dont listen to them or care what they have to say. But you get 1 person who has a bad experience with a camper, and itll turn the whole group of friends into insisting you NEED a warranty because JOE had a bad experience with his camper..... and they didnt mention that JOE doesnt know how to level his camper and thats why he bent his slide rack or something(not sure if thats a thing, but sounds like it could be hahaha). Thanks to everyone for your input so far!

You sound a lot like a younger version of me, and in pretty much the same boat as far as the financing goes. We just bought our first brand new (but not first) TT this past July. Had some issues first camping trip, but nothing that I couldn't fix, or didn't get replaced under warranty. (The electric jack was under a recall and should have been replaced before we picked the trailer up, but wasn't) My 2 cents, as previously stated, skip the warranty, put some, or all of the money you would have spent on it aside, and fix things yourself. as I'm sure you already know, there is a lot of self satisfaction in knowing you can, and doing the actual repairs. Good luck in whatever you decide, and happy camping!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by J8manski View Post
Thank you all for all the advice! This is more or less what I was looking for. Its hard search this question as most of the time when I see "extended warranty" in a search, its people who are set in buying one and are looking for the best one, or people who have extended warranties and are trying to use it. I am glad that so many people on here have not really had any issues that made them regret not buying the warranty. I read the fine print, and I see what "should" be covered, but I do know they still find ways around sadly. Aside from talking about if this warranty is like that or not, my main question was if I should get one. And it seems as if most people (who have responded so far that is), think I would be safe not getting one. Someone mentioned I do not know how well it was taken care of before by previous owner, which is a gamble; I agree. However only being 1 year old, I really hope they couldnt have messed it up that much...... guess I will see.

To the person who said that 12 years is a lot of time to finance and being upside down and what not. We plan to pay it off sooner then the pay date. We chose a cheaper price tag to keep payments low, but plan to pay more then that monthly towards principle to pay off sooner. But if anything were to happen to the wife or I, we can fall back to the lower monthly payment and not have to worry about late fees or losing our camper and hurting our credit score. We built in our own safety net I guess you could call it. Thank you though for the input, its nice to see people looking out for others.

I will still keep my eye on this and see what others chime in and say though. I just want to hear from a random assortment of people from around the country and not just from my in-laws and theyre friends. Not saying I dont listen to them or care what they have to say. But you get 1 person who has a bad experience with a camper, and itll turn the whole group of friends into insisting you NEED a warranty because JOE had a bad experience with his camper..... and they didnt mention that JOE doesnt know how to level his camper and thats why he bent his slide rack or something(not sure if thats a thing, but sounds like it could be hahaha). Thanks to everyone for your input so far!

Don't waste your money . most items will last much longer then you will own the camper and past the 12 yrs . you can replace fridge , water heater, converter ,pump , etc for less then the 2000. so don't worry about this kind of stuff . maybe insurance which the loan will require you to have for catastrophic events like a wreck or a tire blow out . in fact a tire blow out could cost more in many cases then a fridge . if a fridge goes you can just replace the cooling unit for less then a grand . the big thing is to take care of your investment , make sure you keep an eye on seals and caulking etc
PS slide motors for the most part are easy replacement s just stay away from slides that have the cables . they seem to be the most problematic
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #23

Another piece of advice about Insurance. Call your auto insurance carrier and see how much it is to add your camper to your policy.

We pay $35 every 6 months with USAA It Is Not an extended warranty and covers the camper only when it is connected to our truck.

But , when we had a wheel hub fail they paid in excess of $7000 to repair the damage. The $35 is Cheap in comparison and we are glad we pay it.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #24

If I could handle the price with the insurance added in I would not buy the insurance and keep the payment the same, that way you could pay off the camper a little early. I brought a five year warranty from Camping World thatís not any good. READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!!
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #25

Keep in mind that a lot of items inside an RV have their own individual warranty like the furnace. My Berk has a one year warranty, but each furnace has a two year warranty. Regarding refrigerators, I have learned that most refrigerator manufacturers don't offer extended warrantees for RVs due to the rough ride the appliance gets. I'm with the majority, put the money in a savings account and don't touch it. With your DIY skills and online parts availability, I can't think of too many things that you won't be able to repair. And, you won't have to give up your camper for a month or two waiting for a dealer to get to it which is the norm. And, above all, don't forget you have this forum to depend on. Just post an issues on a thread and you'll normally be overwhelmed at the great advice you'll get from those who have had the same problem. Happy camping.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #26

I on the other hand did buy an extended warranty from my dealer on my new 2016 Cedar Creek. The warranty cost was around $2200 for 10 years starting from new. Will in my case the warranty has paid for itself.

These repairs could not be done by the average handyman at all. The driver side slide in 2018 failed. The track and gear that drives the slide in and out failed. This was a tooth failure to the track. This allow the slide to open and close uneven and you could hear the track jump over the drive gear. Both drive gears and tracks for this slide were replaced. In opening and closing the slide as it was out of alignment the slide topper was damaged by the upper rear corner, tearing the topper fabric. So, a new slide topper was required. I than had the fireplace LED control display fail last year when we were camping. The entire fireplace was replaced at the end of the camping season.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #27

Ever buy a new car and had to listen to the hard sell for the extended warranty? I once almost walked away because the salesman wouldn't take no for an answer. It's pretty obvious why they want you to sign up, and it's not for your benefit despite the sales pitch, it's profit for them.
I too am pretty handy with a screwdriver and rarely find a problem I can't fix myself, so as a rule I just say no to any extra warranty expense.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #28

Just chiming in. I agree with everyone, save your money besides, you will be making upgrades and improvements and that is like well sorta, warranty repair.
I have a class C motorhome and yes, got the extended warranty mainly because of the drive train. After 5 years, only used it one time to the tune of $450.00. Not complaining as the best warranty is the one you never use but I had peace of mind.
Had a blowout that caused $1800.00 damage to the RV which was covered by my insurance, not the extended warranty. Understand what is covered by your insurance.
I do have my appliances serviced every year and after 6 years of ownership, I have not had any appliance failures.
So take the money you were going to spend on a warranty and put it in a coffee can. Do this every year. I believe it will add up.
Just know how things work and have a mental what if plan and enjoy.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
It's pretty obvious why they want you to sign up, and it's not for your benefit despite the sales pitch, it's profit for them.
Exactly this.

There was a comedian that had a great bit about warranties. He kept going back and forth with the salesman.

customer: Why do I need a warranty?
salesman: In case it breaks.
customer:Well if it's going to break, I don't want it.
salesman:It's not going to break.
customer:Well then why do I need a warranty?

I think at the end of the bit the salesman admitted that he'd get a kickback for selling it.

The best warranty I've ever gotten was when we bought a new washer. It's a 5-year warranty and if we go the entire 5 years without using it, we get our money back.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
The best warranty I've ever gotten was when we bought a new washer. It's a 5-year warranty and if we go the entire 5 years without using it, we get our money back.
I've been offered that as well, but as always, there's a caveat. If you know you'll get your money refunded (less interest, of course) if you never use the warranty, then you are less likely to use it for anything other than a rare major expense. Even though it is better than other offers, the house always wins!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I on the other hand did buy an extended warranty from my dealer on my new 2016 Cedar Creek. The warranty cost was around $2200 for 10 years starting from new. Will in my case the warranty has paid for itself.

These repairs could not be done by the average handyman at all. The driver side slide in 2018 failed. The track and gear that drives the slide in and out failed. This was a tooth failure to the track. This allow the slide to open and close uneven and you could hear the track jump over the drive gear. Both drive gears and tracks for this slide were replaced. In opening and closing the slide as it was out of alignment the slide topper was damaged by the upper rear corner, tearing the topper fabric. So, a new slide topper was required. I than had the fireplace LED control display fail last year when we were camping. The entire fireplace was replaced at the end of the camping season.
2200 for 10 yrs is not a bad deal . 220 a year is cheap . most are 2000++ for 5 years
Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #32

I always warn people about buying an RV. If you cant fix things yourself then you better have deep pockets. Dealerships charge astronomical prices for the parts and labor. They also will keep your camper for months at times. You are better off watching youtube videos and making your own repairs. Just last year I had to disassemble one of my power stabilizer motors due to water intrusion. A new motor was $278 and who knows what the labor would be. Cost me a $3 can of brake cleaner and a $3 can of wd40. If you cant fix stuff and you aint rich then you need that warranty.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #33

I just bought new, dealer offered an extended warranty for $2000, no thanks...later offered it $1500, no thanks. I'm sure he would have settled for $1200 if I wanted it. These extended warranties are negotiable, read the fine print before you buy one. Many gotchas.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
2200 for 10 yrs is not a bad deal . 220 a year is cheap . most are 2000++ for 5 years
That does sound like an amazing deal. Almost too good to be true. Probably one of those warranties you can never actually use as the FINE print will find a way out of repairs lol

Thank you all again for the input here. We are getting VERY excited about this purchase and all the camping we will be doing. And all this advice is taking a lot of stress off our shoulders knowing that its not common for major things to break on a camper. I am starting to lean towards no Warranty and save the money for upgrades(already have a few in mind haha). The info that has helped me the most honestly, was the link to the refrigerator parts. I feel very confident in being able to repair that myself. Also looked up AC units and say I can buy a brand new one for like $600(not sure if that specific unit works on my RV or not, but gave me a good price point). I also have a friend in the HVAC business I just thought of who could work on the unit for me. He is able to work on closed loop systems like these RV AC units, so that MAY possibly save me some money too if it got to that point. Also, these forums look to be the most help of all. I feel that if I have a good community recourse, I feel confident in repairs myself. I know a huge cost of shop repairs are part price mark ups and LABOR. LABOR kills any repair job cost. I guess I am seeing the warranty as being a renter of an apartment vs no warranty would be like buying a home. We bought our first home 3 years ago, and everyone told me that buying a home is a lot of work. And it is a lot of work, but I accept all the work myself and not pay someone to do it. And I think I am starting to feel comfortable taking on the repairs of a camper myself. Costs less monthly, but is more work on my end, and thats the same as a house(sorta, my house cost more then apartment rent, but its also 3x the size with about 20x the land, and if I stay for 15 years and leave, I will hopefully get money back unlike an apartment). I never thought I would put this much thought into a Camper lol
J8manski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #35

I agree , don't buy the warranty, do however check it out top to bottom, especially the roof, I purchased a used WOLF PUP , and the dealer had missed the patch on the roof and a year later when I took it in for the annual inspection they discovered that the roof was rotten and didn't cover that in the forever warranty, so we are out $5000. for a new roof.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #36
DaLexusGuy

How Cute...

Nubees are SO CUTE!

"How often do things break?"

...honest answer..."ALL THE TIME!!"

It is my strongly held belief that only those who know how to repair things using their intellect, their tools and their hands; those who live for the the next opportunity to show off those skills where ever and whenever it may popup (no pun intended) should be buying an RV. Otherwise, your RV will always be in the shop. Always, like for months and months.

The rest of you (you know who you are) should just rent and give it back when it breaks (which it will).

Hopefully I answered your query with clarity.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Nubees are SO CUTE!

It is my strongly held belief that only those who know how to repair things using their intellect, their tools and their hands; those who live for the the next opportunity to show off those skills where ever and whenever it may popup (no pun intended) should be buying an RV. Otherwise, your RV will always be in the shop. Always, like for months and months.

The rest of you (you know who you are) should just rent and give it back when it breaks (which it will).

Funny but very true.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Nubees are SO CUTE!

Well that eliminates about 90% of rv owners
Old 03-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #39

"The world is an imperfect place, screws fall out all the time."
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

Slightly off topic, but a purchase with that long a payment schedule is likely to seem like a millstone around your neck after a while.

Not saying not to do it, but think about how long you will be under water -- obligated to payments on an asset of continually declining value.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
I have to agree. 12 year financing? On a depreciating asset? seriously? I donít think warranty vs DIY is your biggest financial issue here.

Many RV parks wonít even let you in if your trailer is more than 10 years old! Some go as long as 15.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote