Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

How picky are you and should I be concerned?

So I just got back from the dealer where I have an XLR HyperLite 30HDS on order. I see that my toy hauler has apparently just come in and is sitting on the lot. I took the opportunity to walk around it and look it over real good and I have a concern.

The first thing that both my wife and I noticed while walking up to the front door was a buldge, from the inside out, thats larger than the size of a .50 cent piece. This buldge is eye level on the side and it looks like something is between the wall and the fiberglass. My concern is mostly that it could be a screw that will eventually pop through but also the fact that it now sticks out like a sore thumb to me. They have two other 30HDS's in stock so I went to look at those to see if they had it as well.

The first one that I looked at is already sold and it did not have it. The second one I spotted immediately, but it didn't appear as bad. As I got right up to it I noticed a small chip in the center of the buldge and then saw that it was spot painted over, most likely at the factory. I plan on calling my salesman in the morning to discuss it with him before I sign any papers on it. I guess I just fear them saying that it's just minor and all travel trailers have flaws. I just don't want this to become an issue in a year or two of towing it and camping in it.

I am attaching pictures so hopefully they upload. The first is a side view of the buldge on my TH and the second picture is of the buldge/chip that was spot painted on the other TH. It's kind of hard to make out in the picture, but right in the middle there is a darker circle where the paint is slighty different.

Just want some thoughts on what your reaction would be and would you wait on a different one that is on order? They have two more that are due in soon. Thanks for any input and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150329_163148.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	72484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150329_164339.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	72485  
Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

What is on the inside in that spot?

I would not take the unit like that but maybe I am too picky ...😃
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

No technical advice. However, trust your instincts. It's a large purchase and you shouldn't hand that money over unless you're 100% satisfied with the unit.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
No technical advice. However, trust your instincts. It's a large purchase and you shouldn't hand that money over unless you're 100% satisfied with the unit.

+1.....
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post

X2. Trust your gut. Be very picky. Before you hand money over make sure everything in and on your trailer is perfect. You do not want to deal with it under warranty later. Speaking of, checkout the second year warranty in the library. Not sure if xlr is included, but worth checking out. Also, there is a pdi checklist inv the library.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
What is on the inside in that spot?

I would not take the unit like that but maybe I am too picky ...��
I went inside and there is nothing but a bare wall. It could be something between the wall stud and the fiberglass or it could be a screw inside the interior wall that got screwed in too deep. I am not real educated I guess on the construction of the walls so I'm just guessing.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
X2. Trust your gut. Be very picky. Before you hand money over make sure everything in and on your trailer is perfect. You do not want to deal with it under warranty later. Speaking of, checkout the second year warranty in the library. Not sure if xlr is included, but worth checking out. Also, there is a pdi checklist inv the library.
Yeah, the warranty. I asked about the second year and was told I could get that or get the extended warranty for 4 years. I was not a fan of the extended warranty option, but was told that i could get 4.99 interest rate if I bought the warranty as opposed to 5.99 if I didn't. Payment was actually a little lower with the warranty added at the lower interest rate so it was a no brainer..
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Team

The second year warranty is from FR is reasonably priced and probably worth it, Call FR as ask if it is available on your unit. You can buy it from FR directly if needed. The others they are trying to push are third party warranties (kick back to dealer) . You need to be careful with those as some are very restrictive and there are way too many outs for the company. The FR warranty should have no impact on the interest rate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

That's a decent sized bulge for it to show up in a picture. I'd stay away from any unit that is not perfect when new
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I wouldn't take the unit under any circumstance.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

A spot repaired and painted area on a brand new trailer?? Run ,dont walk.That spot will only get worse with age and will never be right.The only way to repair the filar skin is to replace the whole side skin. As far as I would be concerned,that trailer is a total right from the factory and should be priced accordingly.But,its your call....................
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Don't accept the " buy it and if the bulge gets worse we will fix it under warranty" You could be without it for a while as they haggle with FR. Their motivation to fix it will be very different once you sign the contract.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
A spot repaired and painted area on a brand new trailer?? Run ,dont walk.That spot will only get worse with age and will never be right.The only way to repair the filar skin is to replace the whole side skin. As far as I would be concerned,that trailer is a total right from the factory and should be priced accordingly.But,its your call....................
Thanks for all the advice to everyone so far. To be fair though, the one that has the spot paint repair is a different trailer that is in stock. The one I was going to get has the buldge but no repair. I just looked at the other ones that were on the lot to compare and possibly transfer my deposit to a different unit, but thats not happening now. Like I said they have two more on order due in any day so hopefully one of them will meet my expectations.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Don't accept the " buy it and if the bulge gets worse we will fix it under warranty" You could be without it for a while as they haggle with FR. Their motivation to fix it will be very different once you sign the contract.
Flybob, my wife and I thought the same thing, that they would tell me they would fix it if it got worse. I don't even want to go down that road.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

If it were me I would always focus on that spot. I would hold out for another trailer. It's a big investment and you don't want to always have to look at that spot and wonder if you did the right thing.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #16

If it's not right- don't take it. Better to wait now for another trailer than be stuck waiting to get this defective one fixed - which will never be totally right. Cash is still in your pocket, so it's the only time you have power to demand a proper unit!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #17

have it fixed now. I had a bulge in my 5er and when they checked it out the frame had missing welds and it started coming apart. It had to go back to the factory to be rebuilt took 5 months.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #18

You will be looking at it every day you are at the trailer. And it will bother you every single time. I would walk.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #19

I went back to the dealer today and had my salesman meet me by the trailers. I showed him the one that was spot repaired first and then the one that has the buldge in it. He was able to see the problem with both of them right away. He said he will let the service shop know about the problems. He assured me that my deposit will transfer to a different trailer and that he would check the next one delivered to make sure there's not the same issue.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 AM   #20

We found a smaller but similar bulge on our 5er after we took delivery. Took it back and they pulled the fridge to double check for screws and found nothing protruding. They had it repaired and even though I knew where to look I can't tell where they repaired it. i had same concern as you when I saw it. I agree with the others on the fact that I would have everything you find repaired pre delivery and before signing paperwork.
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote