Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Hydraulic pump cycles ever 15-20 seconds

Just got back from almost picking up my Motorhome from servicing. Been for the last number of weeks for warranty work.

I noticed that the Hydraulic Pump was making a noise as if it was coming on - it last a few seconds but repeatedly do the same thing every 15-20 seconds. I pointed this out to the tech. They were stumped. They replaced the Master Brain Controller thingy. That didn't do it. Then the pressure switch - nor this. They called the Lippert(I think this is the brand of hydraulics) Tech on call today - they said this was a symptom of a diode coming from the Emergency Brake feed. They replaced that too. We all thought this resolved...as I was packing up an pulling out - I got out to hook the TOAD up. I be dog gone if it didn't do it again. Twice to be exact and then it stopped. Fortunately my service advisor was right there with me when it happened.

They last thing left to replace is the wiring harness for which they would have to order. So my trip to pick up will be postponed - shooting for the end of next week now - fingers crossed that takes care of it.

Anyone ever hear of something like this happening? This is all new to me.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Failure is my business

Was it doing this while it was on the wheels and not leveled?

If so, I'd start looking for a small leakdown or bypass in whatever other systems the hydraulics support.

I've seen this on mechanical equipment that had position sensors involved. Unit would cycle to correct position and shut off. Then it would drift because of a bypass leak which would cause it to cycle to move back to position.
Current vehicle list: 17 RAM 3500 4x4 Cummins Aisin 4.10, 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilstein 5100's Derale oil cooler, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 278,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
Days Camped: 2016: 43, 2017: 83, 2018: 44, 2019: 78
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
Was it doing this while it was on the wheels and not leveled?

If so, I'd start looking for a small leakdown or bypass in whatever other systems the hydraulics support.

I've seen this on mechanical equipment that had position sensors involved. Unit would cycle to correct position and shut off. Then it would drift because of a bypass leak which would cause it to cycle to move back to position.
Yes - this happened with jacks down or up and slides in or out. I am pretty sure there were no leaks or evidence that anything was leaking at least.

I talked to them today - they are ordering a new Hydraulic Assembly - there can't be much else that can be replaced. Friday's phone call was left at the slide was stuck open and couldn't get it back in.

This is just weird to me.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Team

It is most likely an internal relief stuck open.
Replacing the unit complete, is the easiest remedy.

Tags
hydraulic, pump