RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes, about $.50 more but well worth it as little as I use in the small motors that I have. Don't put it in the cars and truck.


Itís what I use in my Hondaís. Itís also the fuel of choice for DW Mercedes E-350.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Itís what I use in my Hondaís. Itís also the fuel of choice for DW Mercedes E-350.
Any fuel can go bad if it sits long enough, that's why stabilizers where developed, people used them way before Now. It reminds me of the diesel change in the 90's , it was said it would blow all your seals and glow plugs. Simple, either run the carburetor dry or add the keep fresh stuff or run it monthly. No need to buy expensive non E gas, Shell and Exxon just loves you. Carborators have ALWAYS varnished.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,277
Spock, don't know why my statement quoted you, it was just a general statement I made, my phone has a mind of its own. Has nothing to due with your choice of gas for your car.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Actually the Mercedes E-350 has a requirement of 91 octane, DW uses 93 octane. Her fuel is usually fifty cents more a gallon than my diesel but itís a car she has always wanted.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Always used ethanol fuel in all my engines. Never an issue and never added any snake oil. My friend is a chemical engineer for Chevron. He says the issues are completely overblown.

Yes the ethanol sbsors water but unless you get to the point where it reaches saturation and you get phase separation, you won't have an issue.
Ya Right !!!
I totally disagree with your friend the Chevron Chemical Engineer !!!
I have receipts for a new Carburetor & a new Fuel Pump on my Generator from last year,,, for over $800,,, that proves to me that Ethanol is GARBAGE !!!
I now keep Snake Oil in my fuel !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Actually the Mercedes E-350 has a requirement of 91 octane, DW uses 93 octane. Her fuel is usually fifty cents more a gallon than my diesel but itís a car she has always wanted.
If the Mercedes requires 91 octane she is doing it no favors by using 93 !!!
93 octane could do more trouble that good !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
If the Mercedes requires 91 octane she is doing it no favors by using 93 !!!

93 octane could do more trouble that good !!!


Well itís a 2013 and no trouble with the engine, 91 octane is hard to find in ethanol free gas. We donít use ethanol fuel in the Mercedes
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well itís a 2013 and no trouble with the engine, 91 octane is hard to find in ethanol free gas. We donít use ethanol fuel in the Mercedes
That might be a good reason to buy 93,,,
As long as it does not confuse the Computer ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Ya Right !!!
I totally disagree with your friend the Chevron Chemical Engineer !!!
I have receipts for a new Carburetor & a new Fuel Pump on my Generator from last year,,, for over $800,,, that proves to me that Ethanol is GARBAGE !!!
I now keep Snake Oil in my fuel !!!
Proves my point! A carb is never going to be damaged by ethanol. In fact, ethanol if anything will clean the carb! Gotta love the scare theories though!

I think I will believe the chemical engineer!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
That might be a good reason to buy 93,,,
As long as it does not confuse the Computer ???
The engine has knock sensors to adjust the timing to the fuel.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The engine has knock sensors to adjust the timing to the fuel.
If you say so ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Proves my point! A carb is never going to be damaged by ethanol. In fact, ethanol if anything will clean the carb! Gotta love the scare theories though!

I think I will believe the chemical engineer!
I guess all the service tech @ OWAN/Cummings should talk to your Engineer buddy !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #93
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,926
Ok fellas. Let's agree to disagree. Y'all are talking in circles.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
If you say so ???
Worked for an automotive electronics company working on the engine ECUs so yes.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #95
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,276
I use ethanol-free premium gas in all my small engines. I always put Sta-Bil in the gas can, too, since I don't use a lot of gas in one season - the gas might sit there for several months. So all the fuel they get is non-ethanol with Sta-Bil treatment. The lawnmower and snowblower are run dry before storage.

I also use ethanol-free gas for the last fill-up when storing my 1982 Gold Wing motorcycle for the winter and add in some Sta-Bil, too

For what little extra it costs, I choose to use ethanol-free gasoline for piece of mind. If the Sta-Bil is duplicating the ethanol-free benefit, so be it. It's cheap insurance.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
If you say so ???
Not just Babcock, car manufacturer's say so too.

Modern gas engines use the computer to adjust timing for all conditions, including fuel. It's how they achieve max efficiency.

When "knock sensor"says too much advance for the fuel and conditions the computer retards spark.

A far, far, cry from distributor's with vacuum and centrifugal advance mechanisms.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
I was not disagreeing,,, I know very little about today's autos !!!
I can figure out how to change the oil & that is about it !!!
Unless FORD has change there thinking,,, they always said if an engine was setup to run on 87 octane,,, that it was a waste of money to run higher octane fuel !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Unless FORD has change there thinking,,, they always said if an engine was setup to run on 87 octane,,, that it was a waste of money to run higher octane fuel !!!
That is correct. Most of the time, the timing parameters are set up to retard spark on a knock condition but will not keep advancing until knock if a higher octane fuel is used. However, there are certain engines, for example the Ford Eco boost, that will do that.

When I worked in the auto electronics company, we worked with Toyota racing. They used our cylinder pressure sensors and changed timing on each cylinder independently. Certain engines now do the same thing using various methods to detect knock. We would actually do a signal analyses on the pressure sender output to detect right when a ping was detected and back off the timing slightly on that cylinder as well as modify fuel delivery.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That is correct. Most of the time, the timing parameters are set up to retard spark on a knock condition but will not keep advancing until knock if a higher octane fuel is used. However, there are certain engines, for example the Ford Eco boost, that will do that.

When I worked in the auto electronics company, we worked with Toyota racing. They used our cylinder pressure sensors and changed timing on each cylinder independently. Certain engines now do the same thing using various methods to detect knock. We would actually do a signal analyses on the pressure sender output to detect right when a ping was detected and back off the timing slightly on that cylinder as well as modify fuel delivery.
Love yer location,,, People's Republic of Kalifornia !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Love yer location,,, People's Republic of Kalifornia !!!
I love it too! Politics suck but everything else is incredible!

Almost got tickets to tonight's Michigan's sweet 16. We have Univ Michigan connections.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.