Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I love it too! Politics suck but everything else is incredible!

Almost got tickets to tonight's Michigan's sweet 16. We have Univ Michigan connections.
A & M plan is to abuse Michigan in the paint with there bigs,,,
If the Zebras allow them to do that we will be in trouble !!!
Michigan must make the 3s come down like Rain !!!

GO BLUE !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm glad I don't have these problems. I just go to my local station and by Non-ethanol fuel. Gotta love Florida.
X2 but I still use Sea Foam as well as the premium gas. I really believe that major temperature swings also contribute to needing stabilizer in small engine tanks. Running mowers till they run out of fuel causes carburetor jet problems without the stabilizer in the fuel when the engine quits. I ran a snow blower out of gas last spring without stabilizer in the tank and this winter that thing wouldn't start to save my sole, which of course was when I needed it.

I was told that with the carburetor empty of fuel that condensation is probably causing the issue since I didn't put stabilizer in the tank. I really don't know if it is true, but I can tell you that the machine is still sitting in my garage not running and gathering dust.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
X2 but I still use Sea Foam as well as the premium gas. I really believe that major temperature swings also contribute to needing stabilizer in small engine tanks. Running mowers till they run out of fuel causes carburetor jet problems without the stabilizer in the fuel when the engine quits. I ran a snow blower out of gas last spring without stabilizer in the tank and this winter that thing wouldn't start to save my sole, which of course was when I needed it.

I was told that with the carburetor empty of fuel that condensation is probably causing the issue since I didn't put stabilizer in the tank. I really don't know if it is true, but I can tell you that the machine is still sitting in my garage not running and gathering dust.
Did ya try spraying some Ether in the carb ???
Old 03-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Did ya try spraying some Ether in the carb ???

Are you kidding? I have multiple small engines that work perfectly and start when needed but I have stabilizer in all of them or ran them out of fuel with stabilizer in the tank which of course has small amounts of stabilizer remaining in the carburetor. The fact is that I accidently overlooked putting stabilizer in this one is totally my fault and I'm paying for it. Sorry, but I don't ever spray Ether in anything.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #105

Running the carb dry is the absolute best thing to do. Problem with stabilizers is that they are basically just oil so if you leave the carb bowl full of gas when you shut it off and it sits there for months, the fuel evaporates and you have a bunch of oil gumming up your carb.

Problem with starting an engine with ether is that it is so volatile, you can possibly get an ignition while the piston is coming up in the compression stroke. Possible bent connecting rod on an engine especially one with more than one cylinder.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Running the carb dry is the absolute best thing to do. Problem with stabilizers is that they are basically just oil so if you leave the carb bowl full of gas when you shut it off and it sits there for months, the fuel evaporates and you have a bunch of oil gumming up your carb.

Problem with starting an engine with ether is that it is so volatile, you can possibly get an ignition while the piston is coming up in the compression stroke. Possible bent connecting rod on an engine especially one with more than one cylinder.
Your probably right,,, bit when all fails I turn to Starting Fluid !!!
I have used it a million times,,, no problem so far !!!
KNOCK on WOOD !!!
Sometimes when it is - degrees it is the only way to start my old tractor !!!
I have found a Heat lamp on the engine for a couple of hours really helps,,, along with a battery maintainer on 24/7 !!!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #107

Quote:
Your probably right,,, bit when all fails I turn to Starting Fluid !!!
First thing I reach for when a small engine won't start is the spark plug wrench. Remove it, visually inspect, reattach the plug wire, and pull the cord a few times (with switch on of course). If no spark, nothing is going to make that engine start.

The older the engine gets the more likely that moisture has invaded the insulation on the plug wire at the very least. If you are lucky and the engine does start, heat will dry the wire out and your good for the next season. Guess what happens the next year?

Starting fluid has it's place but I can't remember when I last owned a can of the stuff.

FWIW, a fresh spark plug every year is a cheap way to save some wear and tear on arm muscles. Replace it at the same time you change oil, service or replace air filter. Those are things you're supposed to do BEFORE the unit NEEDS it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
First thing I reach for when a small engine won't start is the spark plug wrench. Remove it, visually inspect, reattach the plug wire, and pull the cord a few times (with switch on of course). If no spark, nothing is going to make that engine start.

The older the engine gets the more likely that moisture has invaded the insulation on the plug wire at the very least. If you are lucky and the engine does start, heat will dry the wire out and your good for the next season. Guess what happens the next year?

Starting fluid has it's place but I can't remember when I last owned a can of the stuff.

FWIW, a fresh spark plug every year is a cheap way to save some wear and tear on arm muscles. Replace it at the same time you change oil, service or replace air filter. Those are things you're supposed to do BEFORE the unit NEEDS it.
Lack of proper maintenance is not my old tractor problem,,,
It will start fine when the temps are 30 or above,,,
Not so pretty much below 0 !!! I only used it once this winter,,, it was -21 !!!
Uses of Heat Lamp for a couple of hours seems to do the trick !!!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #109

Is your tractor a 6v system?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
... I ran a snow blower out of gas last spring without stabilizer in the tank and this winter that thing wouldn't start to save my sole, which of course was when I needed it.

I use ethanol free gas in every small engine I have and I run them out of gas without stabilizer every year for more than two decades...I have never taken a carb off of any small engine in my care two stroke or four and I never have any issues starting them after being stored. Snowblower/weedwhip/lawn mower/atv/generator/motorcycle/chainsaw. Fuel injected stuff gets stabil.

-I think your machine has another issue.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #111

Quote:
Lack of proper maintenance is not my old tractor problem,,,
It will start fine when the temps are 30 or above,,,
Not so pretty much below 0 !!! I only used it once this winter,,, it was -21 !!!
Uses of Heat Lamp for a couple of hours seems to do the trick !!!
I read of a trick used to start old engines in the cold that made some sense.

It regarded poorly maintained military APU's used to start plane engines on super cold days. The engines were so worn out the compression was low and as any diesel owner knows, compression warms air. The operators would apply a "bush fix" by removing spark plugs and squirting some 30W motor oil into the cylinder. Not much, just enough to help the upper ring to seal in the cylinder. Crank engine and it usually started quick but would belch a huge cloud of smoke for the first few moments.

Once warmed up the units restarted fairly well until they were left to cold soak overnight.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #112

Just noticed the new EU2200i has a fuel cut off spot on the side dial to run the engine out of fuel. I guess folks like me who always use red Stabil and still have hard starting issues/ carb issues after storing for more than a couple weeks have finally convinced them a design change was needed to avoid warranty claims. That said I switched to Stabil 360 after the last starting issue and carb cleaning on my EU2000i. I may try Sea Foam if it protects against ethanol water issues.
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.williams View Post
I may try Sea Foam if it protects against ethanol water issues.
The only time there are ever water issues with ethanol is when there is so much water, the fuel reaches a saturation point and phase seperates. If that is occurring, the problem is in the supply chain or how the fuel is stored. It's more of a problem in a marine environment where you have open vents and fuel fills where water can enter.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #114

Any Generator that the fuel in gravity feed should have a fuel shut off valve !!!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #115

Quote:
Any Generator that the fuel in gravity feed should have a fuel shut off valve !!!
Yep.... otherwise, first time a float valve fails, you have a crankcase full of fuel.

It's not because people convinced them of a design change!!! Anyone who owns a small outboard motor or a motorcycle also knows this.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #116
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
For Sure ???
Yup comes in quart cans. We use it at work on all of our small gas powered engines. Eliminates the ethanol issues.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #117
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken the Honda 2000"s have a fuel pump.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post

They do.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
But you still need a fuel shut off if you have those if the tank is mounted above the carb.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #120

My understanding is that many earlier vehicles/equipment had problems with the introduction of ethanol fuels because the rubber fuel lines and seals reacted badly to the alcohol. Anything reasonably modern shouldn't have this issue, but there's still a problem with the tendency for ethanol to be hygroscopic, which means absorbing moisture from the air. Using the proper stabilizer, running the engine then shutting it down by closing the fuel valve to empty the carb should prevent future starting issues.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote