Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #21

This is from Wikipedia. It says the larvae spend months or years inside the wood developing. You should have a case for a manufacturer defect since it was probably in the wood when the trailer was built. Check your mfg date and science may be on your side.

Powderpost beetle larvae spend months or years inside wood while developing, feeding mainly on the starch content. Their presence is only apparent when they emerge as adults, leaving behind pinhole-sized openings, often called "shot holes".[2] They may also leave piles of powdery frass below. Shot holes normally range in diameter from 1⁄32 inch (0.79 mm) to 1⁄8 inch (3.2 mm), depending on the species of beetle. If wood conditions are right, female beetles may lay their eggs and re-infest the wood, continuing the cycle for generations.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Are the holes all in a close section of the wall? I mean does it appear that they are all within a 32" or so section where it could have been one frame member that is involved? How long since the manufacturer date of the trailer? I would guess there is a good possibility one of the boards was infected when the trailer was built. I highly doubt the wood is treated.
It appears right now the damage is on a vertical stud next to the entry/exit door to the garage. The trailer rolled off FR’s production line sometime in August ‘17. This trailer is couple months old. The beetle in the wall have a life span of several months to a year. It appears the batch ,I have are in the active stage with adult beetles exiting looking to reproduce. This takes months with an active colony to take place. So the larvae was already in the wood during manufacturing. FR has a tainted batch of wood. Who knows how many new trailers are effected.

Also as for my trailer. It is unknown the extent of the infestation due to it happening behind closed walls. Also there could be dormant groups in other beams. Or they could be spreading in the walls and laying eggs on other struts.

It is unknown right now! But it is a big deal. This could possibly be something huge in regards to FR currently manufacturing of trailers. It will be interesting to see what they do with my trailer. If they will do anything.... standby to standby.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
This is from Wikipedia. It says the larvae spend months or years inside the wood developing. You should have a case for a manufacturer defect since it was probably in the wood when the trailer was built. Check your mfg date and science may be on your side.

Powderpost beetle larvae spend months or years inside wood while developing, feeding mainly on the starch content. Their presence is only apparent when they emerge as adults, leaving behind pinhole-sized openings, often called "shot holes".[2] They may also leave piles of powdery frass below. Shot holes normally range in diameter from 1⁄32 inch (0.79 mm) to 1⁄8 inch (3.2 mm), depending on the species of beetle. If wood conditions are right, female beetles may lay their eggs and re-infest the wood, continuing the cycle for generations.
EXACTLY!!! This is obviously tainted lumber used by FR.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #24

I certainly think that a buyback is in order.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I certainly think that a buyback is in order.
I would like a new trailer! Same model. Maybe FR can throw in a couple free upgrades as good measures.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #26

Storing infested wood in the garage ?

In our house buying saga the owner blamed a 'renter' for storing infested firewood under the house. Our home inspector told us the infestation had been years in the making. That dealer who gave you such a 'good' deal may look for a scapegoat. Infested firewoodl was stored in the garage!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #27

So spoke with a rep with FR warranties.

He wants me to drive it back to the dealer I purchased the trailer from. No one else.

From there the dealer is going to remove and replace all the paneling in the rear garage. Also the dealer will inspect for further damage and go from there.

Hmmmm.

Won’t let me take it to a FR dealer down the street from me. He stated he would not do a buy back of the trailer. He stated he is doing what he feels is the right thing and attempting to make the fix.

So now some time next week, I have to drive several hundred miles round trip to drop off the trailer at my dealer and let them have the trailer for god knows how long.

This is going to be an interesting thread as I update the process.

I will say I do trust the dealer I bought the trailer from. Small dealer and I feel they are trust worthy.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
Scoundrel

If you financed your purchase you may want to contact the lender also and explain whats happening. They have a vested interest in a solution to this problem also.

I'm not sure what I would do if it were me, but I don't like the idea bringing my brand new camper in to be refurbished because of an infestation that occured long before it was sold to me. Thats just not right.

My .02

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 11-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #29
Senior Senior Member

Typical manufacturer's (not just FR) response to a problem of their making.
Trouble as I see it is how will your dealer know he has found all the wood that has been infected with out dismantling the entire rig?
And you know that's not a possibility.
Taking it back to the selling dealer just makes it harder on you and more likely you will just let it drop (IMHO).

Good Luck to you.

BTW, We have bought two TTs out of state and were lucky to not have any troubles with either. It is a crap shoot.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #30
D W

You might want to contact your Insurer ASAP. You can always pit your Insurer against FR and the dealer. Your dealer has already told you he's never seen this before, so he obviously knows nothing about entomology. Unless they trace down and irradiate all the larvae, just replacing some panels isn't going to solve the problem.

The outlook is not good, so far.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #31

no matter how you handle the trailer repair, here is a link to a paper put out by the University of KY specifically on that type of beetle...

https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef616

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #32

I am staying optimistic. I am not here to bash FR. This is an obvious issue. I am hoping they will make right on this and do what is necessary.

I will keep this post updated.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #33

Following this one. Just bought a new FR product (Coachmen) in July.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #34

So, I have looked at the trailer again and found the infestation to not only be in two vertical studs in garage, but found dust and holes in the bathroom walls. The bathroom is on the same side and continues from the garage. It is a continuous trail.

It seems it’s not isolated to just on piece of wood, or paneling as FR hopes it to be. It appears as the vertical studs / frame (structurally) is infested with the beetles. This is a serious game changer.

Really unknown till the walls are opened up. I am taking the trailer to the dealer this coming Wednesday day.

More to come.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #35

Postpowder Beetles look for moisture.

Those nasty critters are hard to eradicate. The pest control expert that came to look at the house we were going to close on said he would have to tent the whole house and pump gas longer than for termites since the larvae are buried deep in the wood and are harder to reach. Few people know what Postpowder beetles are and how destructive they can be.
Looks like you are able to keep your cool, that's half of the battle !
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #36

Emptied the trailer today and removed small creature comforts I installed in the trailer. Man what a pain in the arse that was.

Anyway, I am east bound and down tomorrow morning. Have about a 5 hour drive from my house to the dealer I purchased it from.

From there, I will leave it in the hands of the dealer. We have communicated on the phone and the process will start with photos and then pulling the infected areas apart and see what exactly the beetles are coming from.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #37

Wow, good luck! Please keep us posted. Seems like your FR has Lyme Disease.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOtac View Post
Emptied the trailer today and removed small creature comforts I installed in the trailer. Man what a pain in the arse that was.

Anyway, I am east bound and down tomorrow morning. Have about a 5 hour drive from my house to the dealer I purchased it from.

From there, I will leave it in the hands of the dealer. We have communicated on the phone and the process will start with photos and then pulling the infected areas apart and see what exactly the beetles are coming from.

Stay tuned.
Man I really hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. But when I read stories about how long a dealer has a persons trailer for repairs, it makes me wonder. This sounds like it could be quite involved.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 11-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #39

I agree with another poster on this thread — get your insurance company involved.
Also - Any use of an insecticide can be harmful or worse to you and your family.
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I agree with another poster on this thread — get your insurance company involved.
Also - Any use of an insecticide can be harmful or worse to you and your family.
2 X on that. I never let any insecticides around where I play. Also keep a good log and all your recipes for what this is going to cost you (gas,mileage,lodging,time) good luck Tim
Closed Thread

Tags
defect, infested, postpowder, warranty