Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspecelec View Post
IF you can access the National Electric code, Article 551.80 (B) This explains the feeders to the pedestal must be protected from physical damage.
you can log onto NFPA.org and get free access to NFPA 70 (the electrical code).

Good Luck
Can you use wood treated with creosote still for protection? Or does the plastic tape count?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #22

Take a stroll around some commercial buildings or parking lots in your neighbourhood and see how outside lights and other things are hooked up. I know a few light standards and powered gates of the top of my head where it's done the way you're planning to do. The permit and licensed electrician route is obviously an option too.

I repeat what has been stated already, make sure you wire your outlet 120 Volt only with a neutral.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #23

I had an electrician wire a 30 amp box just inside my garage. It does not interfere with the door operation at all. I considered a pedestal but was concerned about it getting damaged.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I would bury it and put the pedestal near the plug on the RV. I hate wires laying on the ground.
Me too. They are "Lawnmower Magnets".

I'm looking for a ready made 4' power cord to fit my TT. That's all I need to go from pedestal to power connection at the pad in my back yard. I don't even like the coiled cable sitting under the TT on it's pad.

The post makes a nice "aiming point" for when I am backing my TT into it's storage position. Helps me get a good alignment side to side and also shows me when to stop backing up.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #25

Looking at your picture again, now on my computer instead of the phone you might be able to secure it to the side of that railroad tie / 6x6 on the edge of the parking pad, which would serve to protect the conduit from impact for most of its length. And I assume right along there is where the pedestal would be so it's right in line with your destination.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This post wins the thread! Asking people on the internet electrical code is not very smart!
On the contrary, I can point you to a dozen other forums where electricians from all over the world gather to do just that. That is what the internet is for after all, isn't it? Sharing of knowledge and ideas? Perhaps your use of the resource "varies" from mine. To each his own, I guess. I don't judge.
I will, however, point out that I hold a valid journeyman card. I was just hoping to pick the brain of someone that had more experience on the subject than I. Maybe my only misstep was posting my question in the wrong forum.
Back to the subject at hand;
I did, after several attempts, contact someone in the building dept. who could answer my question. He stated that the only variation from the NEC was burial depths. I also happened to be out of town the other night at my folks house. I spoke with my dad about it. He's also an electrician, but mostly retired. He gave my plan the ok, as long as it was in conduit. He even volunteered to drive into town and give me a hand when I do the work. I dismissed the idea of mounting it closer to the trailer, mostly for aesthetics. I don't like the idea of it sitting in the middle of the yard, Id rather it sit up against some kind of structure. If my tt faced the other direction I would consider mounting it up against the privacy fence. But where it sits, Id prefer it was next to the garage. Im also planning to install an opener for the gate sometime in the near future and was going to draw power from the box for the opener. So it makes sense to have it all at the gate. The power cord along the gravel doesn't bother me, it sits mostly under the trailer and is out of the way of the mower.
I also dismissed the idea of using a power pedestal over a box. The pedestals are twice the price and all come with a 50a outlet that is not necessary. My father suggested mounting a box on unistrut vs a wooden post and anchoring it down to the concrete just in front of the gate. I liked that idea. Unistrut is galvanized and will hold up to the elements better than an wooden post, and will probably look a little cleaner.
So as of now, that's the plan. I ordered the box and some of the unistrut material last night. I will do the install in the next few weeks as time allows. I can post a follow up if anyone is interested.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I can post a follow up if anyone is interested.
Please do.

Tags
electric, electrical, power