Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Installing a TST Monitoring System

I am planning on getting the TST 507 system and a repeater. My question is what is the best way to hook up the repeater? They say it is hooked up to 12 Volt. So one comment was to attach battery clamps to the wires in the repeater and the connect to the coach batteries, which on our Rig is under the steps (Sunseeker 2860ds) so the repeater would be attach somewhere down there which i wonder how that would affect its transmission of a signal?- another way is hook it up to a light - not sure how to wire it? Is there a way to plug it into a wall socket and keep it simple and then attach a plug or are wall sockets (Are the wall sockets AC DC). Thanks for your feedback - Steve and Dianne
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

Are your sure you need a repeater? I am running four TST507 trailer sensors on my 36' Prime Time Crusader 322RES and don't need a repeater. That keeps things simpler.
Nights camped 2016=47 2017=67 2018=53 2019=121 2020=76 2021=106
dennisewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Our sunseeker is 32 feet the we have a karkaddy and toe a jeep renegade so we are around 46/47 feet total. I am going to out the sensors on the kaddy was was told I should also have them on the rear wheels of the car / what do you think?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Since mry truck monitors truck tires, my system only does the the the trailer tires.
I installed the repeater, don't know if I needed it or not, but since on our 5er, the battery was in the front, it was no big deal to do it.
It came with the alligator clips so it was about a 15 minute job to do it and make it neat with wire ties.
If you CAN do it, why not just do it?
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

The battery on our coach is under the steps so I wasn't sure if were it is located would affect the signal. I'm wondering if the rear tv in the back of the rig is 12dc I would thing so but don't really no what plugs are ac vs D.C. - if the tv is D.C. Can I just put a plug on it like the tv and use that outlet?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
The battery on our coach is under the steps so I wasn't sure if were it is located would affect the signal. I'm wondering if the rear tv in the back of the rig is 12dc I would thing so but don't really no what plugs are ac vs D.C. - if the tv is D.C. Can I just put a plug on it like the tv and use that outlet?
Yes you can. You could also get a splitter and leave them both plugged in.

Victor 12 Volt double outlet lighter adapter 05102-8 - Read Reviews on Victor #05102-8
Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the information/ the forum is the best we have had our RV for 2 years and without it I think I would go nuts thanks - I'll go with the double outlet adaptor seems like the easiest. The reason I'm a anxious to do this is we were coming back from the UP of Michigan and lost air on the inter dully in Canada. the outside tire looked low but I checked it and it was fine / a few weeks later we had a tire service come before a trip and the stem extender was loose 40 psi in the inside rear tire . So we drove about 600 miles with one tire at 40 psi
Old 08-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our Legacy is very close to 40' and I also monitor the sensors on our toad, so I needed the repeater. Tried without it and would lose a couple of signals for most of the time. I actually purchased (for about $12) a converter for 110v to 12v and installed it in the bedroom cabinet over the TV, then hooked the repeater to that. When we're driving, we typically have the generator running for the AC and, if we don't, the inverter powers the 110v circuits, thus the repeater is on. Another thought I had before that was to connect it to the 12v line powering the rear running lights. I drive with the tail lights on to trickle charge the toad battery, so that would power the repeater while I'm driving but not drain the battery when parked.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Repeater

The repeater is 12dc right since it would run off the coach batteries? So your saying that we the converter you can use 110?
Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

That's right. Here's what I bought on Amazon. Plugs into the same outlet as the rear TV and sits in that cabinet out of sight. The converter is meant to power LED lights from 110v, so it draws very little power and works great. http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #11

TST Repeater

A couple of things:
1. I spoke with TST about the need for a repeater. I have a 28' Overall length Class C and flat tow a Ford Edge - total length is about 48'. I have sensors on all wheels, including the TOAD. TST told me that I would not need a repeater as long as the sensor batteries where in good condition. When they get weak, the repeater will allow the receiver to still read them. I am towing without the repeater and the TOAD sensors are picked up fine by the receiver.

2. TST did suggest that I could install a repeater in an interior closet or storage bay. 'Blocked' signals would not be an issue. They have great customer service - call with any questions.

3. I urge you to remove the valve stem extensions. The only problems I have had with my tires were all caused by leaking valve stem extensions on the inside dully tires. Once the tire went totally flat (before the TST) and the second time the TST went off when the pressure fell by 10%. I was able to pull over, diagnose the problem and replace the extension / top up the tire. I have purchased Dully Valve Stems which eliminate the extensions and will be installing next week.

Best of luck.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaplan View Post
A couple of things:
1. I spoke with TST about the need for a repeater. I have a 28' Overall length Class C and flat tow a Ford Edge - total length is about 48'. I have sensors on all wheels, including the TOAD. TST told me that I would not need a repeater as long as the sensor batteries where in good condition. When they get weak, the repeater will allow the receiver to still read them. I am towing without the repeater and the TOAD sensors are picked up fine by the receiver.

2. TST did suggest that I could install a repeater in an interior closet or storage bay. 'Blocked' signals would not be an issue. They have great customer service - call with any questions.

3. I urge you to remove the valve stem extensions. The only problems I have had with my tires were all caused by leaking valve stem extensions on the inside dully tires. Once the tire went totally flat (before the TST) and the second time the TST went off when the pressure fell by 10%. I was able to pull over, diagnose the problem and replace the extension / top up the tire. I have purchased Dully Valve Stems which eliminate the extensions and will be installing next week.

Best of luck.

Good info. Just to clarify, my rig is a DP, so it's possible I needed the repeater due to signals being blocked at the engine compartment and surrounding structures.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #13

Get a valve stem tool and check all stems for tightness and keep it in your kit.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

Quote:
I am planning on getting the TST 507 system and a repeater. My question is what is the best way to hook up the repeater? They say it is hooked up to 12 Volt. So one comment was to attach battery clamps to the wires in the repeater and the connect to the coach batteries, which on our Rig is under the steps (Sunseeker 2860ds) so the repeater would be attach somewhere down there which i wonder how that would affect its transmission of a signal?- another way is hook it up to a light - not sure how to wire it? Is there a way to plug it into a wall socket and keep it simple and then attach a plug or are wall sockets (Are the wall sockets AC DC). Thanks for your feedback - Steve and Dianne
We just recently came back from a long (2900) mile trip and discovered we did need a repeater. The contact info for the person who helped us determine where to hook it up is:

Debbie Fields
Operations Manager
Truck System Technologies, Inc.
p: 770.889.9102 | f: 770.889.9054 | c: 678.247.3515
4250 Keith Bridge Road, Suite 200| Cumming, GA 30041

She was VERY helpful and knows installations so I am sure she can tell you where best to mount your repeater.

BTW, wall outlets are 120 Volt unless it is a round cigarette lighter type outlet. That is 12 Volt (you want 12 Volt)

I would think that near your battery compartment would be a perfect spot though, It is centrally located to collect signals from all yoru sensors and then re-transmit to your monitor.

Good Luck! You are going to LOVE the system and the peace of mind it brings, we certainly do
Old 08-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #15

When you stay replace with dully stems do you mean the ones that replace the existing stems and are straight, vs the dully braided extenders. I saw a kit wasn't Amazon and they want 120.00 for 2 inter extenders and two for the outers . If you don't mind which model did you get and were they that expensive? I also received feedback on the existing stems do you know if the are rubber it's a sunseeker e450.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #16

Dually Valve Stems

These are sold by a number of dealers. See Dually Valve Stem Kit for Class C Ford E350, E450 - DL1FC - FREE SHIPPING

or

DL1FC Chrome Duallyvalve Kit

These are for some E450's w/16" wheels

You must know your chassis, wheel size, the number and dimension of the hand holes.

You get 2 metal long straight and 2 metal curved valve stems to replace your existing valve stems. You also get 2 rubber inserts to hold the long inside stem from moving around.

Note that you can also get a kit with an additional 2 straight long stems for the front wheels - helpful with simulators (like hub caps) and TPMS caps on the stems.

Hope this helps.

Toad - 2016 Ford Edge SEL AWD w/6 cyl
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #17

TST informed me that my lost signal on the driver side was from the slide out over the tires on my last travel trailer. the new toy hauler is longer but the slide does not cover the wheels. I just cannot seem to get the darn things to pair.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
TST informed me that my lost signal on the driver side was from the slide out over the tires on my last travel trailer. the new toy hauler is longer but the slide does not cover the wheels. I just cannot seem to get the darn things to pair.
Do you have a repeater?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #19

Quote:
The repeater is 12dc right since it would run off the coach batteries? So your saying that we the converter you can use 110?
We also have the TST507. We plug the repeater into the 12 VDC plug at the back of the coach that is also used for the TV. We found that some of the rear wheel signals were intermittent as were those on the Toad. The repeater eliminated any signal dropouts.

You can wire it to any other 12 volt DC source, but we found the one for the the TV well located and convenient.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Do you have a repeater?
Yes. also have a longer 5th wheel trailer than the last one. it will be installed as soon as I can pair the sensors to the receiver and repeater (hoping to try it next week)