Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Installing Sirius Radio Component

Hello just wondering if anyone out there installed the component for Sirius radio. Our motorhome has the app but the actual Sirius radio component was never installed. Just wondering how easy it is to install ourselves or do we need to get a tech guy/gal to do it. We purchased the component for $70 online back in May and have not done anything about it yet LOL.
michelledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #2

You can install it yourself. Antenna can be placed in nearest ceiling vent. It will work through the plastic vent lid and MaxxAir covers just fine.
From the ceiling vent there will be a chase in the ceiling to a ceiling light. If the light is near the wall you can fish your antenna cable from the vent to the light. Exit the light and work your way toward the radio.
I used some small surface cable channels to cover it in places.

Look for my post SiriusXM Antenna Install

Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Paul. We didn't receive an antenna with the component. The component goes behind the dash and attaches to the Jensen system. I guess we need to look into getting the antenna (?) When I called about the Sirius system, they didn't mention separate antenna.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #4

Antenna is a small square (1"+-) with 20+ feet of very small coax cable. It plugs into the component and the component has a larger diameter cable that goes to the radio. They came together when I ordered. Check your box again.

I Velcro'd the antenna in the ceiling vent.

Did you order from Crutchfield?

Paul

Paul
Old 08-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #5

SiriusXM Antenna Install is under Modifications and Updates

Our unit is a Class C. Once I got to the side wall I routed the wire down to the overhead bunk platform then along the seams until I could get into the cab. Once in the cab I hid the wire behind rubber trim molding around the door frame moving toward the dash and the SiriusXM component.

I placed the SiriusXM component under the dash and connected it to the radio while I was replacing my single din radio with a Kenwood double din unit. Therefore, I already had the dash open.

What type of RV are you installing it in? You maybe able to get behind your radio and connect the component without removing the radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	146933
Dash component. Antenna connects at the silver connector on right. Radio cable connects on the other end (I think).

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	146934
Antenna in ceiling vent

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	146935
Wall/ceiling surface cable chase if you can not run it inside.

Paul

Additional consideration. My Kenwood was Sirius Radio "Ready". This indicates that the external SiriusXM component is needed to decode their satellite feed. Some radios already have the Sirius fully built into them. They only need the satellite antenna connected. If your unit is this type then the items you received may be different than mine.

Paul
Old 08-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

I have been reworking the routing of the SiriusXM antenna cable today due to the RV shop cutting [emoji34]the coax cable while replacing the roof (they will be replacing the cable).

Here are some updated pictures.

Antenna Velcro'd on fan housing.

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	146956

Ceiling chase from vent to light fixture. Wall surface chase from light to bunk base.

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	146957

Paul

Paul
Old 08-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

We had ours done by a competent and knowledgeable business BOOMERS in Merrimack NH
Cost $200.00 worth every penny
Good luck
Rita
RDANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

I am just amazed by the responses and information on this particular post. Thanks so much everyone! We are a little nervous to install this ourselves so I will probably seek out a professional. Our Jensen Radio shows the app for Sirius radio but we couldn't connect. When I called Sirius, they told me we didn't have the actual Sirius component installed so I purchased it but didn't realize that it had to be installed LOL. Thanks again. We have a 2016 Coachmen Cross Country Sportscoach 404rb.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Ok, I was able to crawl behind the dash (Believe me it was not easy and my left side of neck/shoulder are killing me now LOL) but I was able to find the Sirius adapter of the Jensen to connect the Sirius component end. Initially I couldn't see it because it was on the opposite side of the Jensen and the wire was hidden with all the other wires UGH. We are good now! I wonder if I could just Velcro the antenna to the dash if we would still get decent reception? We're going to give it a try instead of doing some maneuvering with the antenna wire. Thanks again everyone, great info!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #10

As long as it has a good view of the sky it may work. It might be influenced by the direction you are traveling (i.e. heading north may not have as good a view of the satellite). It is definitely worth trying.
Paul

Paul
Old 08-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #11

Sounds good, we're going to give it a try.

Tags
radio