Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #21

That info really helped, especially about the propane and air in the lines. If I turn on the stove burner does that get the air out and prep the line?

thx

Judy
Judygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #22
New TT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judygo View Post
How much water should we put in the tank before we leave (don't you always need some water in the black tank?) We are plugged in here at the house(50amp) fridge works, tv, stereo and lights. The fridge switches from elec to propane, how does food stay cold while you're driving?
We are new to TT's also and just purchased the Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. We brought it home last weekend and moved it today so we could have some trees cut down. Only our 2nd time of driving and pulling.

As to how much water should be put in the black tank before we leave - we were told to put a gallon or so of water and one of the pod packages down the toilet right before you leave so it could be sloshing around and coating the black tank while it is being towed. We haven't been out yet but will be going on our first trip in 4 weeks when the campground opens.

As for how the food stays cold, we were told in our walk through to turn the refrigerator to "auto". Once you unplug from the electric service at home, and turn the propane tanks to "on", the refrigerator will switch to propane while it is being towed down the road.

We found some good Youtube videos from salespersons from various companies by searching for our model. They did a walk around the camper and inside and highlighted how to use each item. It made it not seem so overwhelming when we did the walkthrough when picking up the camper from the dealer.

Good luck and !
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehorn View Post
Facebook has a group call RV Newbies that is a very good resource. Specific questions get better answers. I learned a lot there.
Darn - RV Newbies and Travel trailer Life groups on FB are closed. If you belong could you send me an invite?
facebook.com/judy.goff
Judygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #24

Red Rock Camp grounds NV

Quote:
Darn - RV Newbies and Travel trailer Life groups on FB are closed. If you belong could you send me an invite?
facebook.com/judy.goff
Moenkopi Loop, Las Vegas, NV 89161
blm.gov
(702) 515-5371

I would hook up your TT fill the fresh water tank and propane and head over to Red rock Camp Grounds. It is close to home and you will be dry camping there. You will find most of what you need to know by enjoying the real thing close to home. The wind can pick up there at times, I use an electric re-chargeable drill motor with a 3/4 socket to lower my levelers. You can cut 2x8 or 2x12 blocks for blocks but I find the plastic LEGO blocks more convenient to store an carry. Remember weight is your enemy when towing a trailer. This time of year it can get down to freezing out there so you will be using the heater.
Be sure your TT is level, that means the right kind of hitch. After the trip you will need to dump and clean the holding tanks. You can dump fresh water before you get on the highway but you will need to know where the dump sites are in your area. You can try:
Sanidumps: Finding RV Dump Stations near Zip code 89161
The sites are not all open. I find it harder and harder to find dump sites. I have used the Flying J north of town on1000 E Cheyenne Ave.
just add hotmail to my name to get in touch. Enjoy the road, harold
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #25

Check Lug Nuts and Tires

We were told the lug nuts on TTs tend to loosen as wheels flex during towing, so we re-torque the lug nuts occasionally. There should be a decal on your TT listing the proper torque specification and tire air pressure.

Also when traveling do a visual check of the tires when you stop for a rest. Give them a kick or use a hammer to give them a thump. In the mornings, before setting out, while the tires are cold check the pressures.

You can get a low cost 1/2" drive click type torque wrench a six inch extension and the appropriate size socket at Northern Tool. Performance Tool Click Torque Wrench — 1/2in., Model# M200DB | Torque Wrenches| Northern Tool + Equipment)
Klutch 5in. Extension — 1/2in. Drive, Dual Position | Adapters, Extensions Joints| Northern Tool + Equipment

Tire gauges can be found at auto supply stores everywhere.
Sprinter2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #26
Canadian Member

Quote:
That info really helped, especially about the propane and air in the lines. If I turn on the stove burner does that get the air out and prep the line?

thx

Judy
Yes. The stove burners won't likely fire right away. Once the air is purged enough they will light and once they've been burning for 20-30 seconds all the air should have been purged out of the system and the other propane appliances should operate.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #27

I have little to add other than invest in a one or two night stay at a nice campground that is close to home. We have the same camper- and it was also our first one. Got it about a year and a half ago. Made a lot of silly mistakes like on our third trip, the mother in law came along. We let her have the bedroom while we slept on the pullout. It got quite cold that night and the furnace didn't kick on......because I forgot to turn on the propane bottle. DW and I were toasty with the fireplace though. Also had a panic with the water pump running for 5 seconds every minute or so. Turns out it was the cap over the "winterizing" lines.

We've outfitted it little by little so it has its own dishes, silverware, towels, and toiletries etc. So it's mainly just "food, clothes and go".

Also, some progressively longer trips are good to get used to setting up the hitch and towing.some of the stuff you won't know until you go.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
facebook.com/judy.goff
I tried to add you to the group but I can't get your name to take. I sent you a friend request, if you accept that maybe I could then add you. After you're added you can un-friend me, I won't take it personal.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #29

A mobile RV company refers to mobile RV technicians, who come to your location when you need service. They usually travel with a van full of commonly replaced parts, and virtually all of the one's I've used have been very competent. With all the RVers who visit Vegas, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. Google mobile RV repairs and see what comes up.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #30

Go on YouTube and search Petes RV how to videos, they have some awesome videos on dewinterizing and preparing your RV for camping. Best of luck!
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #31

some thoughts...

make sure you know how to turn the water heater on using either propane or electric if you have both. make sure you do not turn on the electric if you do not have water in the hot water tank.
find the battery disconnect switch and know how it works.
as mentioned in another post the refrigerator will cool using propane while you are towing.
tire pressure sensors are easy to install but you must configure the monitor.
make sure your tires are inflated properly.
going to a large parking lot and practicing backup into a space is a good idea. we used kids soccer cones to mark a space to back into but you can use anything.
learn how to dump the tanks.
i don't know the valves on your trailer but learn how to fill the fresh water tank and how to connect to city water and use it without the fresh water tank. if using the fresh water tank, know how to turn the water pump on and off.
consider an electrical EMS system for incoming power.
learn how heater and a/c work

go on a shake down trip close to home. try everything and relax.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #32

one more thought - if you have two propane tanks you probably have an automatic change over regulator. learn you to read it and how to swap the tank it is displaying status of.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #33

It is also important for the spotter and driver when backing up to practice together. Hand signals, or cheap radio, or cell phones. It can be very frustrating, and potentially dangerous, if you guys are not on the same page. Seen many arguments that get pretty ugly over backing up.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #34

x2 on Mark Polk and RVeducation. He also sells videos on his site that explain everything. I bought six of the videos. very useful for when I had just bought my first tt. good luck - Lisa

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to