Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 04:18 AM   #1

It's mine(TT) - How do I get it ready to go somewhere?

My Rockwood Ultralight 2906ws is sitting in our side yard here in Vegas. We bought it new from Jamatt in OK. Our son in NE picked it up and finally delivered it here last Christmas. So.. we never got a "how to" lesson from the dealer on how to do anything with the TT. It still has antifreeze in it. Need to get that drained out. What are the steps to get it ready to go on a trip?

I have printed out some checklists and we plan to thoroughly read the owner's manual from Rockwood. I'd love to ask you all how YOU got ready for your first trip with your TT. I've spent hours on yootube looking for "how toos". I knew the people on this forum would be the source to help an old Veteran and his wife out.

We need to see if the heater works(fireplace is fine)AC works, how to read the instrument panel and work it. How the stove works and should we use it. How much water should we put in the tank before we leave (don't you always need some water in the black tank?) We are plugged in here at the house(50amp) fridge works, tv, stereo and lights. The fridge switches from elec to propane, how does food stay cold while you're driving?

Our first trip will be the warranty check up at Camping World in Vegas. Any advice on doing that?

When do I need to wash and wax the TT for the first time? Right now it looks pretty good. Do I need a slide brush and do I need to get on a ladder and check the top of the slides always before closing them? Are RV tire pressure sensors hard to put on? Should I have Camping World do it?

Any answers, links, videos or pdf files to the above questions would be greatly appreciated. We'd like to take our first real trip to Paso Robles wine country. Anybody been there with your RV?

Thanks - Judy in Vegas
Judygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

First off- Congrats..
Is there anyone around you that could help you and show you everything and how it all should work??
If not, get CW to show you how everything works.

Second-
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Do you have any options other than Camping World. Do a search here and you might find people have "issues" with at least some of them.

Tire pressure sensors are not hard to put on; setting the alarms will take a few minutes. If you buy the TST 507 system, their people are good to answer questions from users.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Congrats.
Sounds like you are a relative newbie to camping.
Do you know other more seasoned campers that might be able to walk you through the many basics you've touched on?

None of the getting ready things are terribly hard but having someone who can show you these things would help.

Have you towed before?
Are you all set there?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Canadian Member

Congrats on your new Rockwood!

I subscribe to several YouTube Channels that have mods a maintenance videos. Look for "RVgeeks", "Love Your RV" and "RVProject". Search YouTube for "RV Walk Through" and you'll be able to find some decent videos but it would ideal if you can have someone do the walkthrough in person maybe at the dealer or with a friend or neighbor.

To test the propane systems (fridge, stove, furnace, water heater) you'll need the propane turned on and you'll have to get all the air out of the lines. Its best to turn on a burner on the stovetop and let it burn for 20-30 seconds before trying to use any other propane appliances.

For the furnace and AC, just set the temperature on the thermostat to something that will make them come on. Keep the doors open when you start up the furnace because it may have to burn off some coatings that will smell.

Tire pressure monitoring systems are fairly easy to install and program. Many here like the TST 507 with flow through sensors.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

This might be the best $10 you'll ever spend!

https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Dummi...ummies+camping
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

an idea would be to take it to a local campground for a weekend or 3-4 days... ask around other campers around you if they could spend a few minutes and give you some pointers... I'm sure you will get all the help that you need.

At this point you are just a bother to a dealer that did not sell this TT.

Bring some bottled water to drink, and use the campground showers until you feel comfortable in the trailer to use the water system.

The TST 507 TPMS is great.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

Good posts! You're on the steep side of the learning curve! Everyone was there ! See how you are treated at ⛺️ world , they might be one of the good dealers ! I hope so ! Enjoy
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #9

Search for a PDI Checklist (Pre Delivery Inspection) on this site or Google. I would go through that at home. The PDI should cover all operations of the TT. This will give you enough information so you can ask CW what you don't know. Most CW's have full hookup locations so you should be able to check everything there. If you have any specific questions later just ask those here, there are so many great folks here that will be glad to help you out. Welcome and Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

A shakedown trip at a nearby campground is always a good bet with a new trailer. In addition to being able to get help from fellow RVers (you'll find we're a friendly, helpful bunch), there are ALWAYS issues that come up on a first trip. Its the best way to figure out what you need to bring along, and also to find out about little (or big) things on your trailer that aren't working. I would stay near home, but do it like you would be doing a regular trip...at least overnight...and use all of your systems. RVing is a wonderful adventure, but a bad experience on the first trip can ruin it for the future.

Have fun and enjoy your new toy.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

I'd suggest driveway camping for a couple of nights. Get in there, sleep, heat or cool down. Cook dinner. Use the bathroom sparingly but definitely try it out. Then you will have a need to dump and that's an experience everyone should be able do right off the bat! (Gloves, good hoses, hand wipes and a small bottle of bleach belong in your dump kit). Travel with mostly empty tanks - keep a bit of water (or add a few bags of ice cubes in your black tank.) Use bottled water till you get to your camp site. Take half of the stuff you want to pack. Take a journal or pad of paper for listing what you need to put back in the house and things you forgot (tooth brush? Toilet paper?). Drive to empty parking lots and practice parking, backing up, etc. And remember BOTH of you should be able to do all of these things. But most of all have fun!
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

go to a local campground get out and stare at you rv like what do i do know and other campers will come to your aid
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

Might try finding a mobil RV company in you area and see what they would charge to come out and show you how everything works.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

[QUOTE=RSchleder;1430456]This might be the best $10 you'll ever spend.

We may be or may not be a good book,,, but this is my fourth trailer and a Lance camper in between and up to mid way about 2 units ago, I didn'tknow squat. .

This forum and YouTube have taught me alot.

I would start on YouTube and listen to all 90 or so video shorts by Mark Polk on RV Education
101. He puts up mostly 3 to 8 minute lessons on every item on an RV. The RV Geeks are great too and offer longer more detailed lessons. Plenty of others too. LOVE YOUR RV plus every guy who ever did a mod or repair for the first time seems to have videoed it for YouTube. Good luck and enjoy. Remember, if you are handy with tools and have some time, nearly every thing there is for an rv is cheaper on amazon and you can do a better job your self than half the monkeys working in an rv shop.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #15

Don't know if there is only one CW in Vegas but I stopped by the one off Boulder Hwy a couple of weeks ago to buy a sewer hose holder. There was no one around in the store and at the cash registers. There was a guy at the service desk, he was just finishing up helping someone. I had the holder and was ready to check out, he looked at me and as I was about to say, "can you ring me up", he got up in a hurry and went out the door without even acknowledging me. If that is any indication of their service dept, I would not go there...

I must have seen 1/2 a dozen RV places in the short time I was there, there surely must be one with a better reputation to take it to...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #16

[QUOTE=DrLewie;1430730]A shakedown trip at a nearby campground is always a good bet with a new trailer. In addition to being able to get help from fellow RVers (you'll find we're a friendly, helpful bunch), there are ALWAYS issues that come up on a first trip. Its the best way to figure out what you need to bring along, and also to find out about little (or big) things on your trailer that aren't working. I would stay near home, but do it like you would be doing a regular trip...at least overnight...and use all of your systems. RVing is a wonderful adventure, but a bad experience on the first trip can ruin it for the future.

Absolutely true above! We took a 2 day shakedown trip close by home. Even in your side yard is ok. Flush the heck outta the water system to get rid of nasty taste, turn on the furnace and check heating, turn on the Fridge to get that going (be sure you are level), and play in it overnight like you were camping!

Just check the tire pressure before leaving and every few days when you finally get on the road. You'll learn. Lots of friendly folks in campgrounds will be so willing to help you with things too. Hands on is a wonderful way to learn.

Have a blast! Michael
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Facebook has a group call RV Newbies that is a very good resource. Specific questions get better answers. I learned a lot there.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #18

Local camping is probably be best way if you have never camped before. A night in the driveway might help you bring the things you need before you try that.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #19

We ARE new to towing and Rving! We have a friend who will come over and help us get the antifreeze out and set up to go with them on a short trip to RedRock. We will get our new ProPride 3 1400 on Friday. I know once we fire the 2906ws up and check her all out we'll be fine. First time's the hardest.

Judy
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #20

What's a mobile RV company? We have Blue Dawg, Findlay CW, Johnnie Walker and a couple of other dealers here in Vegas. You mean just call them?

Judy

Tags
how to