Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Jacks down while in storage

Does anyone know if its recommended to NOT store your RV with the hydraulic leveling jacks down? Ive seen it both ways, and am not sure of the correct procedure.

Thanks for any help

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS, 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

If it's hydraulic, I would say why not. It'd take the weight of the tires and if they would lose pressure during that time they wouldn't be ruined.
I do it.
Or am I wrong?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
Does anyone know if its recommended to NOT store your RV with the hydraulic leveling jacks down? Ive seen it both ways, and am not sure of the correct procedure.

Thanks for any help

Have done it both ways, no glaring advantage to either. But if jacks are left extended you should lubricate the exposed pistons regularly with lube to prevent corrosion and pitting = leaks.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I've never heard a recommendation on this. IMO, since the jacks are stabilizer jacks and are there to help stabilize the trailer when you are living inside, there is no need to have them down exposed to the elements when in storage.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Always store with jacks up it keeps the chrome on the rod protected.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Look at construction or farm equipment stored outside for many summers and winters, I have never seen rusted hydraulic cylinders in my life unless they were physically damaged.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Look at construction or farm equipment stored outside for many summers and winters, I have never seen rusted hydraulic cylinders in my life unless they were physically damaged.
Thats because they rusted and were replaced. Store them up and protect them, makes perfect sense to me.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Thats because they rusted and were replaced. Store them up and protect them, makes perfect sense to me.
Well, I once pulled an old hydraulic cylinder out of the ground and the only shiny part with no rust was the piston and I know farm equipment, trust me.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Well, I once pulled an old hydraulic cylinder out of the ground and the only shiny part with no rust was the piston and I know farm equipment, trust me.
Oh, I'm sure you do. I am not doubting what you just said, but think of this. Take the folks that are near saltwater, the highest grade stainless rusts. I was agreeing with the other poster who said store it in the up position. Its simple and eliminates the chance of rust.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Bear in mind, farm equipment is probably triple chromed hd steel . RV jacks are nowhere near the quality.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Oh, I'm sure you do. I am not doubting what you just said, but think of this. Take the folks that are near saltwater, the highest grade stainless rusts. I was agreeing with the other poster who said store it in the up position. Its simple and eliminates the chance of rust.
I give you that, saltwater could probably do a lot of damage but then hydraulic cylinders would be the least of my concern.
I should maybe try it out and cover an old cylinder with fertilizer and see what it looks like after a year.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Jacks down while in storage

To the OP, there is no right or wrong way to store your RV. If you want the jacks down to take weight off your tires then do it. But like stated you are taking a chance of corrosion on the jack legs. You need to keep them lubricated if you do this. Then wipe all the lubricant off before retracting to prevent whatever hard particles are stuck in the lube. If you don't wipe them down you are taking a huge chance of cutting the rubber seals on the jacks. This is worst than the leg corrosion.

If you care more about your jack legs then store your RV with them up. No maintenance if done this way.

Here is what I do, I made some 8" or so blocks out of 2x6 treated wood. They fit under my jacks when I am aired up. As my air bags loose pressure over time the jacks come to rest on my blocks. This way, my jacks are up, plus the weight of my coach is not entirely on my tires.

Remember, there is no right or wrong way.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Hydraulic cylinders are plated with hard chrome to prevent rust and have special wipers on the cylinder to clean the rams being retracted. Construction and farm equipment work in much more adverse situations than merely standing under a protected mh or trailer. If you want to store them down, it should NOT give you any problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Bear in mind, farm equipment is probably triple chromed hd steel . RV jacks are nowhere near the quality.
Having worked in the farm equipment industry as a design engineer, the hyd. cylinders are not triple chromed, it is a single plating of hard chrome which is an industry wide practice on all hyd. cylinders including those used on mh, trailers, etc. There is nothing special about farm equipment hydraulic cylinders other than maybe the length, pressure or mounting methods.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

My concern is if they are stored down, and they seize in that position

tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
My concern is if they are stored down, and they seize in that position.
It's your coach, so do what makes you feel comfortable.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Having worked in the farm equipment industry as a design engineer, the hyd. cylinders are not triple chromed, it is a single plating of hard chrome which is an industry wide practice on all hyd. cylinders including those used on mh, trailers, etc. There is nothing special about farm equipment hydraulic cylinders other than maybe the length, pressure or mounting methods.
You may be correct on the farm machinery, but I always thought "triple chromed" was an expression for thick chrome. Once plated cannot plate again correct? Anyway my motorhome does not have chrome plated jacks. According to Lippert they are aluminum alloy. The pistons appear to have a honed surface to scrape dry each deployment, not mirror chrome.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Anacortesians

The first season, I parked my Class A with the jacks down to relieve the tiresof some of the coach weight. Within 2 weeks, the piston-rods were showing rust. I polished it off and retracted the jacks.

I contacted the system manufacturer for advice. They said "If you're close to salt water, do NOT leave them extended for long periods." They defined "close to" as within 60 miles! We're probably within 60 yards of salt-water marina waterfront. They stay retracted when we're at home and we're careful if we camp near the ocean.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
You may be correct on the farm machinery, but I always thought "triple chromed" was an expression for thick chrome. Once plated cannot plate again correct? Anyway my motorhome does not have chrome plated jacks. According to Lippert they are aluminum alloy. The pistons appear to have a honed surface to scrape dry each deployment, not mirror chrome.
Hard chrome is not shiny and can be put on anything metallic. Triple chrome plating is decorative chrome.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

Lots of statements about the chrome not rusting. The previous owner of my TT left the slid outs out for over a year and both of the "chrome" rams began to rust. He had already purchase one new hydro ram as it was leaking from the seal being torn from the rust which I installed after purchasing the TT. I have had this TT for four years now and the other one is finally leaking like a siv in the retracted position.
So I would say there is great potential for the leveling jacks to also rust. But I'm no expert. Here is the current leak. It has been leaking for about 4 months.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413644823.659431.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	64918

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413644552.271305.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	64916
Here you can see the rusting, this was enough to damage the seal and cause the leaking.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413644597.998613.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	603.9 KB
ID:	64917

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to fix this or even use the TT this years we had twins back in May. I had de winterized it in the hope that've would go out. But no go, and then the leak started in July

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage