Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 09:34 PM   #1

Hot Bunk

I have a feeling that I’m going to be spending a lot of time here. We purchased the Flagstaff Microlite 25BRDS. We have owned 2 Jaycos. Apparently we were spoiled and didn’t know it. This thing is absolute JUNK! You would not believe the number of things that have broken or fallen apart already. I am keeping an extensive list. If anyone is reading this considering buying this brand, turn away now before it’s too late!!

We have bunks that do not get airflow. My son likes to keep the window closed because he has horrible allergies. The lower bunk turns into an oven! The rest of the camper is cool but I can’t get air into his bunk. The top bunk is freezing where the vent is. Any suggestions about how to direct some of that air down below? I thought of rigging up some type of vent hose with a fan but space is already limited and I can imagine the kids kicking it all the time.

I camp a lot without my husband and I expect I’ll need to be coming back for advice often. Thanks for reading this far

Steph
HungryHungryStephO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #2

Perhaps a rechargeable fan (or two) to circulate some air where appropriate.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:20 PM   #3

I agree with the fans. You could also try some type of air diverter. Depending on what your vent looks like, something like this might work https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9427...834681&sr=8-11
Old 06-10-2022, 12:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryStephO View Post
I have a feeling that I’m going to be spending a lot of time here. We purchased the Flagstaff Microlite 25BRDS. We have owned 2 Jaycos. Apparently we were spoiled and didn’t know it. This thing is absolute JUNK! You would not believe the number of things that have broken or fallen apart already. I am keeping an extensive list. If anyone is reading this considering buying this brand, turn away now before it’s too late!!

We have bunks that do not get airflow. My son likes to keep the window closed because he has horrible allergies. The lower bunk turns into an oven! The rest of the camper is cool but I can’t get air into his bunk. The top bunk is freezing where the vent is. Any suggestions about how to direct some of that air down below? I thought of rigging up some type of vent hose with a fan but space is already limited and I can imagine the kids kicking it all the time.

I camp a lot without my husband and I expect I’ll need to be coming back for advice often. Thanks for reading this far

Steph
Is this a new trailer? If so, was any of the HVAC system operated and tested during the PDI/walk-through?
I have to say that the Flagstaff/Rockwood lines are two of the best loved brands, with a better quality reputation than most brands.
Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:30 AM   #5
Steve & Linda M.

The workmanship on, probably, the majority of RV's today is not what it used to be. Jayco could very likely be included in that group, although we haven't owned one since we owned a 2006 5th wheel. Several of the RV's we've owned since the early 2000's have been, not only disappointing, but very disappointing. Unfortunately, it's not easy to know what you are in for until you have spent time in the specific RV. Reviews may cover features and some design aspects, but often have a fear of disclosing downfalls.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
Canadian Member

Steph, welcome to the forum from just east of Toronto.

I will echo Bikedan’s comment about the quality of the Flagstaff/Rockwood line. I’m on my third Rockwood (the sister brand to Flagstaff and exactly the same trailer except for fabric and graphics). I’ve walked through a lot of Jayco trailers in the same price point and I would never buy one. I’d buy a used Rockwood before I’d buy a Jayco and we have a Jayco dealer just 15 minutes from my house. So I’m surprised that you are having a lot of issues.

As Bikendan asked, is this a brand new Flagstaff or previously used?

Can you list the issues you’re having? We are here to help. In case you weren’t aware, this forum is not affiliated with Forest River although there are a few factory folks who participate. We are FR product owners sharing knowledge and experience.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #7

people citing the quality of Jayco gives me a chuckle. 7 years ago, we were at a dealer looking at a Rockwood hybrid i was sort of interested in....well, there was a couple there that i overheard her say she just wanted to get rid of her "Jayco piece of trash"....all the manufactures can improve.

l have not had a lot of issues with my Flagstaff Shamrock but i am willing to screw a loose item back in myself.... with these things bouncing down the highway, i expect some things to loosen up (sometimes the state of interior after getting to our destination is evidence of a rough trip with drawers open and overhead storage contents on the floor)... we have a back hallway with a bed back there that does not get the cooler air. i use a tower fan, slim enough to not block people but able to provide cooler air to the back.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that installing a fan will help circulate the room air into the lower bunk space. A small fan could be mounted under the upper bunk.

List the other issues you have and we can suggest remedies.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryStephO View Post

Steph
I agree with fans. A small one either standing or mounted might be all that's needed (just need to move a little air). I don't think bunk airflow issues are restricted to any specific brand. They are little caves. Our top bunk gets lots of a/c and low bunk not so much. We directed the vent to blow out of the top bunk. Of course all this is moot if you close the bunk curtain.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #10

I own a very similar model to the OP's only without the bunks. It's been pretty much free of all the defects people complain about on "Covid Era" units.

As mentioned earlier, bunks are like little caves and air circulation is severely limited. Battery operated fans will make a big difference.

As for Quality, the recent disruption in all aspects of our society (COVID) has had it's effect on quality. Manufacturers, especially in the RV industry, are having issues filling positions with qualified workers. Also add to the mix supply issues and record demand for new RV's.

As for all the things that break? RV's aren't exactly like houses. They're built a lot lighter for obvious reasons. They're towed or driven down roads that aren't always smooth which leads to loosening of nuts, bolts, screws, and even glue joints.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #11

Not junk

Seem they all have their quality issues. Things break, things fall apart, things work, and then fail. Whether it is a Forest River, a JAYCO, a Lance, a Newmar, or a Provost, they are all built the same way. They travel over smooth roads, rough roads, through heat, cold, rain, and snow. Some have simple systems, some have complex systems. If one puts it on a showroom floor and it doesn't move it will likely be defect-free for years. Use it every week or for weeks at a time and things will break or fail or wear out. Use and abuse is a prime factor toward issues.

Maintenance should determine not only things that need repairing but attention to things that are likely to fail. Diligence makes for enjoyable trips, short or long.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk