Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
Why they don't fix their own? I've been watching my guy fix his car. He had what he thought was just a simple regreasing and sealing a wheel bearing. Once he got the wheel off and didn't see what he expected, he asked me to find something on line about it. He's 75 yo and wasn't up on advancements. It has taken him 4 days so far, with me helping and he's not finished yet. He is determined to finish it. I think it' going to take a few more days. I'll be thankful to see it finished. I'm tired of all the cursing from our drive way. LOL
I've got three sayings I've used over the years about doing it yourself..

1. It always takes longer than it takes.
2. Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand all the problems.
3. For some, it only costs a little bit more to do it yourself.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #22

Mechanicals

My dad taught me the basics of car maintenance and I built on those skills as the need arose. I do all of the work on my Sunseeker it has needed so far. Nothing I've needed assistance with so far that I didn't find here or youtoob.
In turn I've taught my son and daughter.

Now, my brother-in-law the tax lawyer...
He's so book smart he can't hit his butt with both hands, no mechanical sense at all. I taught him the lefty loosey, righty tighty mantra when we were assembling his first Ikea furniture. I looked over and he was looking at the screw driver trying to figure out which direction to turn it. His wife recently told me he still does that, after all these years.
That being said, I have let mechanics work on my cars and change my oil just due to time factors.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I deleted my original post about not understanding why most folks don't work on their own equipment.

I was frustrated when I posted it and didn't mean to offend anybody.
I didn't see your original post and I doubt people were offended. I enjoy working on my stuff but as time go on injuries and infirmities piling up I just can't do much anymore. A five minute job that I might be able to acomplish will incur a five hour recovery.

My advice, do as much as you can while you are able to do so.

Enjoy life,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I've got three sayings I've used over the years about doing it yourself..

1. It always takes longer than it takes.
2. Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand all the problems.
3. For some, it only costs a little bit more to do it yourself.
X2

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #25

If I have the time, I get satisfaction out of fixing things myself. I have more or less been a repairman since I got out of college but I am by no means great at fixing my TT or my old TC. I just enjoy trying to do it and the satisfaction of doing it when I fix it right, about 80% of the time.

Now one of my buddies, who also does the same job I do, would much rather pay to have someone else do the work and enjoy his time doing other things.

I also used to bring home some bad parts and would have my kids, at the time 7 and 10, take them apart using real tools so they would know how to at least use them. They actually had so much fun, they put together a propane smoker for me. Hopefully in a few years I can get them to fix the things they break in the TT.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #26
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
life without whine.....Go to a restaurant!.....lol..........Factory gave me all the parts, it's up to me to put'm in the right place....do all my own work on RV and truck/cars.....can't see pay'n for something I can do...from cabinets to auto transmissions..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #27

Agree with Delco, do what I can let othersvdo what I can not. I get into trouble sometimes misjudging what I am capable of doing. Grew up on farm 25 miles from small town, having a Mr Fixit from local shop not always on a timely event. Bringing in crops was the priority. On the issue of special tools, have purchased a few of them over the years, have loaned them out on occasion. Not many repair shops next door to where I camp, so some minor repair skills are needed to keep moving down the road.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I do most of my on work. However, frustration has a price tag. For those few things I let someone else do it.
X2 there are some things that I dont have the ability to do. Like a big driveway to pull my camper onto at home. Otherwise I love doing thing on my own, to a point.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #29

Of course there are things I can't do such as welding and time prevents me from learning but for the most part if I can't do it I will try to learn and do it myself. I've been too disappointed in the few times I've taken a vehicle to a mechanic. For example, I did take my last F150 to a shop for an oil change once and that cost the shop about $350 for damges when they forgot to reinstall the shield correctly and it fell off while driving home.

What I have trouble understanding are:

a. Taking an RV back to dealership for warranty to replace a burned out LED light. Cost of fuel and time not worth.

b. Oil changes. It takes me 10 minutes or less to change oil. A fumoto valve is worth every penny. How does taking it to an RV dealer save time? I drive my truck onto a ramp, slide under it with on a creeper, flip the fumoto valve on and remove and replace the oil filter. I can do this in my Sunday best clothes with a pair of gloves on. The argument about warranty coverage is bogus; just keep your receipts and a log.

c. Flat tires. Disappointed to see younger men staring at flat tire with cell phone to head. By the time AAA comes out, they could have changed it themselves. What is it that prevents them? What will they do if they are in a rural area with no cell phone service?

d. A member in my ATV club that takes his ATV into the shop to have tire pressures checked with no other scheduled maintenance. I wish this story wasn't true but it is. He's the same guy that asked me to lend him gas on a ride because his ATV died 20 minutes into a ride. His gas petcock valve was off and he didn't know his ATV had one.

e. Lots of people in my neighborhood use electric mowers and electric lawn tools because gas ones are too hard to start and use. My mower is 14 years old, my gas string trimmer is 12 years old, my snowblower is 30 years old, and my tiller 5 years old, and my chainsaw is at least 12 years old. Each start and run flawlessly and all I do is add a double dose of stabil at the end of each season. I use an oil extractor to change the oil in my 4 stroke engines.

There just seems to be an overall lack of mechanical aptitude in men today. My subdivsion supports half of the handyman industry in my city it seems.

Gotta go, sprinkler system needs to be blown out and I can't justify paying someone $55 to do it for me.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #30

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
/* Grumpy Hippie Mode On */
Jeff Says ... When I was a younger schitt, about freshman in high school which was mid-seventies, my folks gave me a 19 Inch Sears Color Television.
Which at the time, was a pretty big deal.
They also gave me the service manual.
By my sophomore year, I had ... a working Color Television in my bedroom.
They set me up with a mid-sixties Impala when the time came.
Driving around taking pictures for Dad's business was part of the deal.
The auto parts store was walking and/or bicycle distance.
Arguably, parents make it too easy for their kids.
/* Rant Mode Off */

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #31

You have to place value on your time. Some people's time is worth more than others... and would rather pay to have work done.

Some people work on their own stuff because they can't afford to pay.

Lots of reasons for one way or the other. I would say this probably isn't an all or nothing thing. Each person has their own threshold for:
Value of time
Money
Ability
Investment for equipment and training
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #32

My truck has a small fuel leak. The other night DGS looked at it. I sprayed degreaser and washed it off. I was thinking....mmmm. I might carry this somewhere before my 2k trip. It isn't dripping or anything, but I smell it. I used to spend many hours to save a little money. Generally my labor is free and $100 hour for someone else isn't. On the other hand if I got it fixed for a $100 I would be happy. I have overhauled engines, changed gears/rear ends, manifolds, carbs, asst. gaskets, radiators, brakes, bearings etc... I have worked on many a/cs and other stuff for other people, but I don't like working on cars anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #33

My BIL always takes his trailer back to dealer for everything few years ago we were at state park with only electric after a few days SIL complained of water only trickling out of faucets I found valve by pump closed BIL had no idea where to start since he has it winterized and takes it back in spring to in winterize
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #34
B47

Interesting thread representing different reasons for doing/not doing various maintenance tasks - all valid.

But there are two sides to this -for those who choose not to do what might seem to be simple maintenance,there are those who choose to most,if not all of their own maintenance.

I believe the age of the person who does their maintenance factors into this. Most of you who are older,like myself, learned how to replace ignition points and use a dwell meter, change spark plugs and coils,replace leaf springs,use a timing light,etc. Why - 1) because the older cars were simpler to work on, 2)perhaps either we fixed it ourself or it didn't get fixed.

Today's vehicles are almost all electronically run by computers. Their are no more coils,spark plugs are either impossible for the average guy to reach,let alone replace, and some do not need changing. We just bought a new 2016 Buick Envision that's equipped with the new Stop/Start feature that stops the engine at stop lights and then starts when you hit the acceralor pedal. Now do believe I'm going to tackle that job when/if it doesn't work?

So I think the guys who are younger and never had older vehicles have reason not to how to do what some of older guys think is simple.

On the other hand,I believe today's cars are more reliable that those some of us learned our maintenance skills on.

Just my .2.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Generally my labor is free and $100 hour for someone else isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

That is part of the problem. You aren't placing value on your time.

Your labor isn't free. It is time lost. There is a monetary value that can and should be placed on it.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #36
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
My time is only valuable if working on someone else's stuff
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

Your labor isn't free. It is time lost. There is a monetary value that can and should be placed on it.
Being retired, my time is free as long as I enjoy working on something. My time is only worth something when I am working on something for someone else and then only sometimes is it worth anything and then it's not worth much.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #38
DDC

The only time I don't fix my own stuff is when it is covered by warranty, then I look at it as 'NOT MY JOB'. I feel lucky I have this ability and it came naturally my older brother while intellectually brilliant is lucky if he can screw in a light bulb, some have it some don't it all works out in the end.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Being retired, my time is free as long as I enjoy working on something. My time is only worth something when I am working on something for someone else and then only sometimes is it worth anything and then it's not worth much.
X2

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post

I suppose this was/is a miss-quote. What I should have said is...

My money is tight and if I can save electric, fuel, GS, camping, labor costs etc monies then it is a win/gain for me. I was born poor, raised poor and live poor. It is reflected in saving money where I can. People at work laugh at me for being tight. It's O.K. cause I know what my checking account looks like.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote