Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #1

Keeping house door open

There is no latch to keep the house door open. I have looked at the shock mechanism attached to the door but see nothing to move. Can anyone speak to this?
DarleneSangiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #2

HI, and welcome to the forums, Darlene.

It's a fairly common bit of kit on most trailer/rv doors, though some may be being delivered solely with friction hinges (serving to hold the door in any position its put, minus some large gust of wind). What trailer do you have/to what "house door" are you referring?

A lack of a latch can be easily remedied, merely with a trip to the Amazon: heres a 2-pack for $8. Drill, screwdriver and some sealant/caulk and you're in buisiness.

FWIW, we have a friction hinge AND a latch, but we have almost never used the latch.

Hope this helps!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #3

I have a 2014 Sunseeker DS2860 DS-CD. The door only opens 90 degrees so an outside latch would not work. I think there must be a trick to the mechanism on the door, I just can't figure it out.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneSangiorgio View Post
2014 Sunseeker DS2860 DS-CD.

Ah, understood - a wrinkle! Could it be by design, such that the door and the awning don't interfere with one another?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 11.39.35 AM.png
Views:	59
Size:	607.6 KB
ID:	274616  
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #5

I think I may have figured it out. The mechanism attached to the door is a gas stop. I will replace it to see if that fixes it.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #6

Here's your 90° door holder:

These last days, rarely weeks, as someone -- or a gust of wind! -- will grab the door and close it even when held open with this device and break the plastic. There are metal versions which won't break but the screws and maybe part of the wall and door will be ripped out.

Struts have their own problems -- usually severely bending the door -- when forced closed. I usually tie ours to the awning poles with bungee.

-- Chuck
Old 06-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
I think I may have figured it out. The mechanism attached to the door is a gas stop. I will replace it to see if that fixes it.
You can remove the gas stop first and see if that resolves your issue before buying one.
I suspect that the door and gas stop is working as designed.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulvey View Post
You can remove the gas stop first and see if that resolves your issue before buying one.
I suspect that the door and gas stop is working as designed.
If the original poster has a door positioned right beside the awning as shown in #4, his door cannot open past 90 degrees without hitting the awning brace.
He is stating that his door WON’T STAY OPEN.
These types of gas stops are for holding the door at a designated position, not for closing the door.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #9
Another adventure awaits!

Could it be that it is a friction door, which poster is not aware of as mentioned above, and therefore does not need a latch? That happened to us, when we bought this 5th wheel ... have to say, much prefer friction door ... can set it open at any distance and it does not move; very handy ...
Old 06-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
There is no latch to keep the house door open. I have looked at the shock mechanism attached to the door but see nothing to move. Can anyone speak to this?
If this is what your door has (top or bottom) it is supposed to allow the door to only open 90° and also keep it there (open). It may be that the strut needs to be replaced (worn out).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddser.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	274662  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #11

The door will fly open and closed. I would like it to stay open to be able to use the screen door. There truly is no resistance in the mechanism.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #12

Yes, that is what it has. At the moment it does not allow it to stay open. The door swings open and closed at random. There is a screen door inside.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:43 PM   #13

Our Rockwood has the same strut. You cannot use the latch pictured because the door won't open far enough. I've tried half--dozen different latch designs without success. My "tacky" solution is to hook a bungy cord into the hole for manually working the slide and hooking the other end on the strut. The best solution just might be to remove the strut and use one of the pictured latches. That door swinging in the wind is very annoying.
Terry2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #14

Thanks. We've been using a bungy too. I think we might try changing out the strut.

Tags
door