Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

King-Sized Bed Support Problem

The bed support in our new/used camper is in terrible shape. The camper is a 2014 Silverback 33RL. At this time I have no idea how to repair or rebuild it. To make matters worse, it is a large bed (king-size) leaving little space to work in the room.

1. The front, left corner is damaged.

2. The gas spring is still there but it is disconnected.

3. Obvious attempt to repair the problem.

4. Sad to say this is the good side.

I am also very concerned about what is below the bed support. I'm thinking of making a frame to lie beneath the bed out of "2-by" material with a board down the middle and just let it lie there unbolted. The I wold replace the particle board with something like 1"x12" material. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
Failure is my business

Hmm. I'm not a fan of the long-term durability of particle board, especially in an area that could see significant humidity. If it were mine, I'd probably tear the whole thing out and rebuild it from scratch with plywood using the old pieces as templates if possible.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #3

looks just like our king size bed! the top of the frame that the mattress laid on is just thin plywood with no support for it other than the sides of the frame. my wife and I and both over 6' tall and with the weight that goes with that. we were concerned that we would simply break the thin plywood. so I built a frame out of 2 x 4's that run down the middle under the plywood to support it. it is now very stable. as far as the struts separating from the plywood I ran longer screws from the top down through the plywood sheet and into the blocks that the struts are attached to. then put some felt dots (like the type used to put on table legs) over the head of the screws to protect the mattress from the metal screw heads. seems to work.

Tags
bed