Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
Alta Owner

Kitchen sink draining to black water tank

I own a 2021 Alta 2850KRL and my sink drain goes to my black water tank instead of the grey water tank. Found out the hard way - I just happened to flush the toilet while my wife was draining the sink. The tank was pretty full and the pressure caused by a the sink water going into the black water tank caused the toilet to shoot black water out of the toilet, on to the floor. Pretty disgusting! I have been having to dump the black water tank every couple of days and thought something was up. So I did an experiment where I drained the tank and just ran the sink. And sure enough, it filled the black water tank.
In looking at the Alta 2850KRL specs on the Internet, it says I should have 60 gallons of grey water (2 30 gallon tanks) but I only have 30 gallon capacity. My sensor light for grey water tank number 2 never gets off empty.
Does anyone else have or have had these issues?
Alta 2850KRL Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
Always Learning

Oh good lord that's disgusting. Call East to West's warranty department and see what it's going to take to get corrected.

In the meantime, extend your experiment to every water fixture so you can definitely state what goes to which tank.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

I agree. Disgusting. The good news is that it didn't shoot blackwater from the kitchen sink and spray your wife.

Definitely a warranty item.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
Alta Owner

Missing grey water tank

I posted about my kitchen sink draining into my black water tank about a month and a half ago. I took my East To West Alta 2850 KRL to Bish’s RV Service Center in Omaha as they are a East To West approved servicer. It has been there for a month and a half and they just figured out that the trailer is actually missing the second grey water tank. How does this happen? Now after waiting for a month and a half just to have Bish’s finally figure out that there is a missing tank, I have to wait even longer for the new tank to be ordered, have it delivered, and get it installed.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #5

My guess is that the manufacturer had supply problems with the grey water tanks so instead of stopping production they plumbed kitchen sinks to black water. I wonder how many other units out there are like that? Manufacturers call it "substituting". I call it a different word.

You know my grey water tank fills up very quickly. Maybe I should check and see if it really holds 30 gallons as specified or if they "substituted" a smaller tank.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
Alta Owner

Update on Kitchen sink draining into black water tank

What a nightmare! Turns out that even though all of the documentation that I have says that I should have 60 gallons of grew water capacity, I actually only have 30 gallons of grey water capacity. I was told that they only installed 1 30 gallon grey tank and plumbed the kitchen sink into the black waster tank as I figured out my self rather disgustingly.(see fist post) East To West says they will pay for re-routing the drain to the grey tank but I am just out of luck as far as getting the second grey water tank. I couldn’t be more dissatisfied with a company than I am with Forest River/East To West. I was told that after another hundred units like mine rolled off the production line, they started putting in the second grey tank. I would not have purchased this trailer had I know that I was only gettin 30 gallon capacity instead of 60. I was never told that the brochures and documentation were wrong. What a pain in the rear! Every time I have to go around my trailer to dump the grey water that fills up way to often, I am going to be reminded just how bad of a company Forest River/East To West is.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #7

I would file a small claims lawsuit. Especially since plumbing the kitchen sink to the black water tank clearly presented a health hazard.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
Alta Owner

Drain re-routing

East To West is going to pay to have the kitchen sink drain re-routed. So the issue of the toilet erupting should be resolved. However, now the kitchen sink will be tied into the 30 gallon grey tank along with the bathroom sink and the shower. This wouldn’t be a big deal except that unless I am at a full hookup site, I will have to pull off to a dump site every 2 days to dump that grey tank. What a pain! I don’t think the dealer knew about the missing tank. But the manufacturer sure did. The control panel even has a button for a grey water tank # 2 and there is even a sticker on the side of the trailer to show you were the dump plunger handle is suppose to be.

A person would hope that a company would do something to make this right but all I have gotten is a ‘sorry’.

I’m am so disappointed in East To West.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

What I have done with my trailer that has only one grey water tank is add a twist-on waste valve to my dump drain. When my grey water tank is full, and my black water tank is only at 1/3, what this allows me to do is open the grey water permanently installed valve behind the closed additional valve I added. Then I can open the black water valve and let the grey water tank equalize into the black water tank. Then shut the black water valve, followed by shutting the grey water valve. This gives me a little bit more capacity in the grey water tank and there is very little possibility of any substantial amount of black water flowing backwards into the grey tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	252912  
Old 04-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #10

Yup it's sad , should be a exciting time for you and because these companies are so poorly run and poorly built it's a stressful time .
I'm going to use my new trailer 2 years then sell it off. I have better things to do than fix poor workmanship .
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
Yup it's sad , should be a exciting time for you and because these companies are so poorly run and poorly built it's a stressful time .
I'm going to use my new trailer 2 years then sell it off. I have better things to do than fix poor workmanship .
Well...in 2 years time you should have fixed all the problems due to poor workmanship and have just gotten to the point where things are as you want them? That's the way I see it - you are selling off all of your improvements for someone else to enjoy.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #12

We don't have the same rig as you but can offer what we learned when we bought our 5er.

Like yours, the 5er has a black tank and 2 grey tanks. What we found was the galley and the shower use the same grey tank and the bathroom sink and the washer/dryer use the other. Since we don't have a washer/dryer, that tank hardly fills ---- how much water do you use brushing teeth!

It was suggested that if I wanted to use both tanks to increase the grey capacity, that I could install a valve at the outlet (where you connect the sewage hose and open both grey tank valves. Supposedly they would fill together.

Haven't done that because we've learned to live with the factory config. However next time we're in the market, it'll be a question I will ask.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #13
Alta Owner

Resale value?

I am a little concerned about the resale value as, unlike East To West, I couldn’t sell the trailer without letting the person looking to buy it know about it’s short comings.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Always Learning

First, this sucks. I'm sorry it's happening.

I almost wonder if a legal drafted letter might get things moving. BUT, it also stops all warranty talks. So... it's a toss up. (And that legal discussion is totally out of bounds of this site's rules.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta 2850KRL Owner View Post
This wouldn’t be a big deal except that unless I am at a full hookup site, I will have to pull off to a dump site every 2 days to dump that grey tank.
Get a sewer tote, no sense in moving the whole camper. Offload into a tote and run it up to the dump station.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:00 PM   #15

Late to the party...

I know I'm late to this one, but with our extremely limited usage and being somewhat of a novice RVer when we purchased I had no idea I have this same issue.

I too have a 2021 Alta 2850 KRL. I always thought the black water tank filled kind of quick, but never realized what was wring until this past weekend. We had a family gathering in Galveston and I took the RV and also rented a beach house for the family.

We used the beach house for showers and using the restroom and only used the RV for washing dishes since I cooked all the meals outside the RV.

When I checked my tank levels expecting the grey water to be full it was almost empty and the black water tank was full. After some inspecting it looks like I too am missing one of my 30 gallon grey water tanks and my kitchen sink is obviously plumbed into the backwater tank.

It appears only my shower and bathroom sink is plumbed into my grey water tank. I guess this explains why the second grey water tank level indicator has never worked either...
SHaynes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, drain, sink, tank, water, water tank