Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #1

Landing Gear Question

We just picked up our Rockwood 8285IKWS yesterday and are excited about getting it ready for our first trip. This is our first fifth wheel, having upgraded from travel trailers. I guess my questions are basic so I apologize for that.

The first is about plastic leveling blocks. I have always used them on our TT to level the wheels and then for pads underneath the stabilizing jacks. Are they strong enough to put under the fifth wheel landing gear? It seems to me that there is a lot of weight on the landing gear.

The second question is about getting the landing gear even. If you get the wheels pretty level from side to side with blocks, then find that the ground under the landing gear is uneven, how concerned are you with getting both landing gears pads to hit the ground at the same time? I would think you could carry a 2 x 8 board that is 1.5 inches thick and another that is half that (like a deck board). Do you also need one that is half that too so that you can get really close?
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

Plastic blocks are strong enough and interlock not like wood, but not good during the winter. they will freeze into the ground.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
Always Learning

I generally prefer wood under my landing gear. Not sure why, though.

I also try to get my landing gear to make contact with the ground at as close to the same time as possible. I carry 4 or 5 pieces of 2 x 10 rough cut lumber and a piece of 1 x 8 for "fine tuning" the contact. The 2x10s are different thicknesses, so depending on my mood- I may try a thinner or thicker one.

Whatever you do, watch out for aliens:
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Plastic blocks are strong enough and interlock not like wood, but not good during the winter. they will freeze into the ground.
Some folks even cover the top & bottom of the plastic blocks with alum tread plate and bolt to the pads to keep them from breaking on gravel and sinking/freezing to the ground.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Some folks even cover the top & bottom of the plastic blocks with alum tread plate and bolt to the pads to keep them from breaking on gravel and sinking/freezing to the ground.
Is your horn broke yet?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Somewhat right of center

I cut up some 2x10''x10ft PT wood into a bunch of 10x10s and stack them grain opposite to whatever height I need. Don't care much for plastic.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I got a PT 4"X6" from Lowe's and cut it down to about 13" and have one under each of the landing gear and the rear stabilizers. Works well. They just ride in the back of the truck just inside the tailgate so once I'm level side to side (I use the orange stackable blocks) I put one on the ground and disconnect 5'er from TV. The 4"X6" blocks work well in the sand. As far as both landing gear touching down at the exact same time, rarely does that happen. I haven't had a problem yet and I've seen the landing gear 2" off from one to the other.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns4147 View Post
The second question is about getting the landing gear even. If you get the wheels pretty level from side to side with blocks, then find that the ground under the landing gear is uneven, how concerned are you with getting both landing gears pads to hit the ground at the same time? I would think you could carry a 2 x 8 board that is 1.5 inches thick and another that is half that (like a deck board). Do you also need one that is half that too so that you can get really close?
You can set the landing gear legs different one side to the other...I think the hole spacing is about 1". I carry a 1/2" thick board if I need something between.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Is your horn broke yet?
TURBS
Not the only one that has them. na, na, na, na.