Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

leak from vent on lp regulator

new regulator purchased from ebay leaks out of the vent when I turn gas on.
when I disconnect regulator from camper I can hold my thumb over outlet and it no longer leaks out of vent.can someone explain why..thanks
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
I owe it all to bacon.

Sounds like a bad regulator with/or a bad diaphragm. We have had a few in our camping club go bad within a year or two of camper purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Bad regulator! don't use this regulator it has a hole in the diaphragm that is leaking the LP out the vent very dangerous don't use. Hope you can return to eby seller or get a replacement.

hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

????? did you install the regulator with the LP gas hose from the supply tank to the in port on the regulator and out port to the device you are supping LP gas to. If plumed back words it may leak gas out the vent.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
new regulator purchased from ebay leaks out of the vent when I turn gas on.
when I disconnect regulator from camper I can hold my thumb over outlet and it no longer leaks out of vent.can someone explain why..thanks
Had one do the same thing. Best buy one at RV Dealer. I think it blew the seal when filling LP or maybe just bad regulator.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

thanks for the fast replies everyone.. But why does leak stop when outlet plugged by my finger .. does it have something to do with a flow needed for diaphragm to function correctly scratching my head and then pulling my hair on this one. ebay seller has not responded yet . he has sold many on ebay .. sooo am hoping he can get another to me before camping trip in another week
Old 08-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

It stops leaking when you put your finger over the vent because you're stopping the flow of gas out of the pinhole leak in the diaphragm of the regulator. The vent is there to let air in and out of that side of the regulator so the diaphragm can move in and out to adjust gas pressure. All the gas should be on the sealed side of the system. Bottom line, if there's gas on the vent side, the regulator is bad.... And dangerous!!
2016 Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL
jimmie2gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #8

jimmeetwoguns I never said I had my finger on vent reread the post I said I hold a finger over the outlet not the vent..
I can stop the flow of gas with my finger over the outlet...but when regulator assembled back to camper, the leak through the vent is very noticeable..
Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
jimmeetwoguns I never said I had my finger on vent reread the post I said I hold a finger over the outlet not the vent..
I can stop the flow of gas with my finger over the outlet...but when regulator assembled back to camper, the leak through the vent is very noticeable..
Same answer. Unsafe. Buy new one. Don't mess with blowing up.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #10

tom48 sure is very easy to say unsafe,but no one can explain why no leak out vent when regulator unhooked from camper and outlet plugged...
I know is an unsafe condition.i just want to make sure is not resulting from a leak in my camper that causes the regulator to vent the gas ..like a safety valve or space shuttle science crap I don't understand.so please someone who understands where im going with this please reply.tyvm
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Same answer. Unsafe. Buy new one. Don't mess with blowing up.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #12

Sailor, sorry if I misunderstood your original post. are you smelling gas, or just hearing gas passing thru the regulator? If you're just hearing it passing thru the regulator, you might check for a broken line somewhere else in the trailer or an open valve on an appliance. That would explain why it seems to stop when you close off the regulator with your finger. You can put a little soap solution on the vent to see if gas is leaking. It will blow bubbles from the vent if leaking. I spent over a decade in the LP gas industry and am very familiar with these regulators. It is odd that it would leak when hooked up but not when plugged with your finger. As I said before, unless there is a hole in the diaphragm, it's a closed system.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL
jimmie2gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #13

Well Actually in addition to saying UNSAFE, I have been thinking it through and not sure either. Pretty sure either the way the diaphragm is set a pin hole leak in same and when you put FULL BACK PRESSURE on it it puts the diaphragm in a position where it is not leaking. Seems however that if hooked to the TT and NOTHING gas is on,(which is hard to achieve without effort since so many things light automatically if inadvertently left on) then that would have the same effect. If it is like my stamped together one, you probably cannot take it apart and fix it so I am back to the beginning. It is unsafe so do not use it. I guess as a last resort look more closely where and when it is leaking to rule out other things like not being threaded on the tank well and blowing a way that made you think it was the vent leaking. Maybe start over, pull things apart and rethink the install from connecting the tanks to the position of the switch over valve, to the teflon tape (gas type) on your junctions. When in doubt BORROW one form someone and see it it installs nicely on yours? OR BUY ONE LOCALLY so you can return it if it does not fix the prob
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #14

I give up... bought another regulator from a different seller. same issue. leaks through vent when hooked to camper..what in the hell is going on..
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Site Team

Ebay

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I give up... bought another regulator from a different seller. same issue. leaks through vent when hooked to camper..what in the hell is going on..
Same make and model? Maybe both from a bad batch, or maybe, I say again, something about your install. Different seller, means I guess eBay so maybe different named seller actually same seller with same bad product. Is there no local store you can buy from. Just this once?

The answer has to be right there in front of you. I am sure more than just me, wish we were there to help figure it out.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #17

ok got it... I figured since regulator stops leaking with finger over outlet. decided to crawl under and start removing each line ..started with the line that goes to rear of camper for outside stove hookup. I got lucky holding thumb over the male end all leaking stopped. capped it with brass cap from hardware store about $4.00
the line that leaks is above fresh water holding tank.. unable to see what caused the leak..
still do not understand the pronounced gas leak from vent but I do not care anymore all good and I have a spare regulator ... thanks everyone for input this is an awesome forum
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Sailor, I realize you've posted you found a leak and fixed your concern but I want to be sure for those who later read this post know was occurring with your regulators and why they both "leaked".

In gas regulators, the vent performs TWO functions.
1. It allows the air space around the main diaphragm to move or 'breathe to atmosphere' when necessary during regulation of the main gas flow.

2. It allows an escape route for gas from the internal relief valve should the system build extreme pressure on the regulated side of the gas system.

I suspect your leak was large enough the internal relief was not or could not seat.

The system needs to maintain enough pressurization for the relief to properly seat. Your leak simply wouldn't allow that to happen.

Glad you found the culprit and didn't have any misfortune in the process.
A gas leak large enough to allow the vent to not seal could have been disastrous!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #19

Anything to do with LP, especially regulators and hoses, is just something that is not worth giving up safety to save a few bucks.

I myself have seen too many cheap regulators leak on various peoples trailers, and I am to the point that all I will use/recommend is those by Marshall Excelsior ... they might cost a few dollars more, but they generally last a long, long time.

Tags
leak, vent