Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Leaky check valve

Made it out for the second time this year - YEAH - only one issue

While boondocking the check valve for the city water hook up leaks when under pressure from the water pump, looks like I'll have to replace it, quick fix for the trip... I hooked up a hose end valve to work as a manual check valve.

By the way, boondocking... batteries held up well, water supply exceeded my needs, did not overfill the gray or black tanks, everyone stayed warm and well... fishing was the pits... oh well, better luck next time
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

Those valves do fail from time to time. Your right, easy fix. Had to do it on our old motorhome once. I had a screw in cap that I used to plug it with until we got home. Not a bad item to carry just for that purpose. Glad you had a good trip, sorry the fishing wasn't good, hope you didn't get skunked. We will be heading out for our first bass trip next week, just hoping for good weather as it looks like a hurricane outside the window right now.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Knower of Some Things

They had a bad run of those over the last year or two. It seems like they fixed it now. Just in case, I still carry a plug.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #4

Didn't quite get skunked, but we only caught one bass, it didn't even give a fight, could hardly tell it was on the line, (sounds kind of like the small trucks pulling humungus trailer stories) but we sure did drown a lot of worms.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

When you winterized, did you blow out the city water line? The check valve holds a small amount of water inside it and if it freezes it can break the valve internally.

I made a (1/2 NPTfemale -> hose fitting male -> one way check valve) tool on my outside shower hose (hand wand removed) to route RV antifreeze to both the city water connection and turbo flush water line during winterizing to make sure that does not happen. Don't forget to sanitize the tool when you are done for next time.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Before replacing it, how about making sure there is not a piece of grit keeping the valve open ?? You could blow air through there, then follow us with a couple of water shots. If that didn't work, then you know that replacing it is the only option.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Before replacing it, how about making sure there is not a piece of grit keeping the valve open ?? You could blow air through there, then follow us with a couple of water shots. If that didn't work, then you know that replacing it is the only option.
Good point! I second that idea.

One bass huh Flyrotor? Where was it you went? Where there's bass I'll be there!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote