Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
It'll cost more than $350 to sue them, and you'll alienate yourself as a customer. But if it were ME.... I'd do it. Partly because I'm stubborn that way. Partly because they are shirking their responsibilities and I can't stand to see people do that. And partly because next time it happens, they will do the right thing instead of the wrong thing.

If I were treated like Daniel was....that statement would not even cross my mind. THEY already have done the alienating by refusing to give you back your property in whole as it was left. I personally would never give them any of my hard earned money ever again and would probably list them on this and every other rv forum I could find. Sounds like they need a schooling of just how fast customer relationships with dealers can be spread.
There is also the possibility of Small Claims Courts, where if you do win, the other party has to pay legal fees which aren't that much along with the judgement and there also are no attorneys involved. I won a case back in the 80's against a rental property owner. I was just 18 then and they thought they could take advantage of my youth.
Anyway, good luck with whatever avenue you chose,
Steve

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #22

Well, here's my take on it:

If the dealer can show they took "reasonable care" of your unit, they may very well not be liable for a theft.

This could be as simple as proving the locked the unit or as complex as a locked compound/interior storage.

It's all going to depend on your state/province and how they view it.

A good point is raised though, unit out of your care, make sure it's secure/nothing to be stolen.

Vandalism is another story.

Now, on a personal note:

I'd be p!ssed if it was me! I would be insistent on the dealer paying for the loss/damages.

But if it came right down to court for 350-500 bucks, I'd save my sanity and just move on.

Probably end up with a better tv then the unit came with and just consider it a not-so-cheap lesson learned....

P.S. My trailer is in winter storage beside my garage in the driveway. Greenbelt right next to it. Now I'm going out today to remove my tv and concertone just in case.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Well, here's my take on it:

If the dealer can show they took "reasonable care" of your unit, they may very well not be liable for a theft.

This could be as simple as proving the locked the unit or as complex as a locked compound/interior storage.

It's all going to depend on your state/province and how they view it.

A good point is raised though, unit out of your care, make sure it's secure/nothing to be stolen.

Vandalism is another story.

Now, on a personal note:

I'd be p!ssed if it was me! I would be insistent on the dealer paying for the loss/damages.

But if it came right down to court for 350-500 bucks, I'd save my sanity and just move on.

Probably end up with a better tv then the unit came with and just consider it a not-so-cheap lesson learned....

P.S. My trailer is in winter storage beside my garage in the driveway. Greenbelt right next to it. Now I'm going out today to remove my tv and concertone just in case.....
I too have removed my tv's for winter storage...the concertone tho....well...if they break in...I hope they DO take it....I'm not a big fan of the concertone. Chances are they'd be back to return it.

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengb View Post
I too have removed my tv's for winter storage...the concertone tho....well...if they break in...I hope they DO take it....I'm not a big fan of the concertone. Chances are they'd be back to return it.
All electronics have value to a thief.

If they're going to bust into your car to rip the stereo out of the dash, they'll just as easily rip the concertone out of the softwood cabinets.

It may be a harder item for them to move (sell), but once the cabinet is F'd and the unit is gone I still have to fix it and buy another one.

Better to just remove the temptation in the first place me thinks.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #25

sounds like a bunch of crap to me don't just take there word for it they need to prove that you were informed of this
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #26
MI Camperz

Legal costs?

In reply to those who felt you would incur legal costs to "fight them"....
I question why that would be the case since small claims court (for a loss this small) would barely cost anything and you don't need a lawyer.
Hope you can get the dealership or your insurance company to cover it though. I concur with the person who commented that your insurance company could pressure the dealer if they are legally responsible. Insurance companies are good at going after people to pay instead of them.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #27

Spare tires and tire racks are another hot item, i had one removed the first time I toke my camper in for service......and yes, the dealer was not going to replace it, but they did sell me one at cost.......Thanks Reichart's
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post

If your unit was locked while at the dealership, where were the keys kept? On a panel in plain sight, with all the keys for every unit? Or locked up where no one could access them? If the keys were locked up, and there was no outside damage (doors, windows, etc.) I would question as to whether this was an "inside" job. Either way, I'd be finding a new dealership to service my TT from now on.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote