RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS
 
Guapotims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Robertsdale, Alabama
Posts: 65
License Plate mounting

Maybe I missed something here. Is there a special set of screws one can buy to attach the license plate (tag) to my travel trailer. I bought the automotive type screws with nylon nuts that would fit on an auto or truck bumper. The screws are too long and will probably scratch the surface of my fiberglass. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the night shots.

Pic's: Forest River Forums - Guapotims's Album: License Plate problem
Guapotims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Moment
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 178
Good question, I just used short bolts with lock washers and nuts. Ran the bolt from the backside so I wouldn't scratch the trailer.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Just Love to Camp
 
TheFordes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,429
Just looking at it have you tried flipping them around and cutting them off
__________________
Camped 54 Night 2012
XLR Thunderbolt 386*12
"Bertha The LeadSled" is her name

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Senior Moment
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Just looking at it have you tried flipping them around and cutting them off
Not sure how you would run screw in from backside, that's why I went with nuts and bolts.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS
 
Guapotims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Robertsdale, Alabama
Posts: 65
I thought about turning them around, but wouldn't be able to tighten (or hold) the screw heads.
Guapotims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
Maybe I missed something here. Is there a special set of screws one can buy to attach the license plate (tag) to my travel trailer. I bought the automotive type screws with nylon nuts that would fit on an auto or truck bumper. The screws are too long and will probably scratch the surface of my fiberglass. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the night shots.

Pic's: Forest River Forums - Guapotims's Album: License Plate problem
Just go to the hardware store and buy (2) 1/4" x 3/4 stainless steel bolts and washers and ss nyloc nuts and put the head of the bolt on the trailer side.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Senior Moment
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
I thought about turning them around, but wouldn't be able to tighten (or hold) the screw heads.
I used open end wrench to hold bolt head on backside.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS
 
Guapotims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Robertsdale, Alabama
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just go to the hardware store and buy (2) 1/4" x 3/4 stainless steel bolts and washers and ss nyloc nuts and put the head of the bolt on the trailer side.
Yep! Think I'll do just that! I'm still curious as to does anyone make a ready use screw set for TT's?
Guapotims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
Yep! Think I'll do just that! I'm still curious as to does anyone make a ready use screw set for TT's?
Home Depot has license plate bolts & nuts. They are packaged in a green header plastic bag and manufactured by "Crown Bolt." The bolts are marked as "License plate bolts" and sized as 1/4"-20 X 5/8". The display places this bolt package to the lower right of the display and just outside the gamut of the green packaged bolts. You have to look closely for this particular bolt where I shop. I am attempting to attach a scan of the package, but may/may not succeed. You can supplement the included nuts with a nylon insert locking nut.
Attached Images
 
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rugged Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,106
I just use plastic ties.
__________________
Terry/Bernadette
Lily the Yorkie
2019 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Home Depot has license plate bolts & nuts. They are packaged in a green header plastic bag and manufactured by "Crown Bolt." The bolts are marked as "License plate bolts" and sized as 1/4"-20 X 5/8". The display places this bolt package to the lower right of the display and just outside the gamut of the green packaged bolts. You have to look closely for this particular bolt where I shop. I am attempting to attach a scan of the package, but may/may not succeed. You can supplement the included nuts with a nylon insert locking nut.
Only problem is they will eventually rust and make brown streaks. That's why I use stainless steel hardware on the license plate.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Toy-aholic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chalfont, PA
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Only problem is they will eventually rust and make brown streaks. That's why I use stainless steel hardware on the license plate.
Me too
__________________
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW 6.6 D/A
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE
EXGMTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.