Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
jsk

Lippert Axle Bearing

I pulled the wheels off last weekend to check things out and found a possible bearing going bad. It is the famous Lippert 5200# axle with their sealed bearings. Lippert is sending new everything but we have a trip planned this weekend. I would like to replace the bearing before leaving. First - are the sealed bearings replaceable with greaseable ones?
Second - if so, what bearing do I need or is there a # I can cross reference?
Third - Since there is not a grease fitting how do I grease it after installation?

I would like to have all of the parts before I get started.

Thanks
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #2

If you don't get the sealed bearings in time for your trip you may find ones locally that you must grease by hand or machine. All it basically is pressing grease into the rollers by hand. This is the old school method we used many years ago.

Here is a few links to show you how.
G503 WWII Jeep Axle Wheel Bearings Grease Packing.Applies to 1942,1943,1944,1945 Ford GPW Willys MB Jeeps

Trailer wheel bearing replacement/fitting guide | UK-Trailer-Parts
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

I took my 28RKBS (2010 model) to my dealer to have him check play and grease leaking from the wheel bearings. (never-lube system) I left it with him and by the time I drove home (40 min. from his dealership), he called me and told me he had been in touch with Lippert ( the axle maker) and they were sending me two new 5200#axles, hub, with greasable bearings less brakes. It should be back on the road next Wed. That is good because we are leaving for Florida the following Tues the 6th of Sept. All this is not costing me anything.
bpdlk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdlk33 View Post
I took my 28RKBS (2010 model) to my dealer to have him check play and grease leaking from the wheel bearings. (never-lube system) I left it with him and by the time I drove home (40 min. from his dealership), he called me and told me he had been in touch with Lippert ( the axle maker) and they were sending me two new 5200#axles, hub, with greasable bearings less brakes.
I pleaded for 6k axles even though the current ones were 5200k. Lippert said they were required to send what was on the unit. When UPS made the delivery they had shipped 6k axles. Wait and see - you never know what you might get. Hope it all works out.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle