Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Question Loosing eng power limp mode

Hi guys new to the forum and to the rv world we recently purchased 2009 Coachman Freelander 2100cb with a Freightliner chassis and a Mercedes drive train. The unit only has 15k and is extremely well taken care of unfortunately we have had several issues that no one seems to be able to fix. Lazy days 7 weeks Mobile rv Tampa no clue throwing parts at it. We are loosing power while driving the eng goes into limp mode allowing just enough power to get to the side of the road .Once I shut the eng off and recycle the key everything works an power is normal no codes no ck eng lights just frustration. The diesel filter has been changed so that's out .We have no faith in the unit at this point and are afraid to take a trip. We are also having generator issues no power to the rv once the genny is started this is also intermittent the have tested the breakers and all are fine there is nothing getting to the panel. It does not have a transfer switch so that's not it. we live close to Tampa so if anyone has a good service guy they use any recommendations would be helpful . We are at wits end with no fix as of yet any help is greatly appreciated.
Travelinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

does the engine go in limp, or the transmission?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

The engine when I stop the rpms will not go over 3k after I recycle the key normal rpms normal eng sound.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

with no codes, thats a mercedes system so the shop would need the mercedes software to scan for codes, not just a obd2 mercedes has there own system

its a soft codes if you cycle the key and out goes away.

i would suggest taking it to a mercedes dealer and let them scan for codes.

and if you drive it there and it goes in limp mode don't shut it off or you'll erase the codes
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

That's my issue no one here works on Mercedes diesels except LD I called the Mercedes dealer and they jus giggled no we do not svc rv,s. The other issue is it took 900 miles to happen the last time .
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Loosing eng power limp mode

Sounds like a firmware issue in the onboard computer. When you make it to a dealer with the Factory provided diagnostics, you may want them to re-flash your computer. I also agree with previous responses - once you shut the engine off, the possibility exists that the error code will not remain in the system. However - it should. You may also want to have them check the onboard low voltage regulator on the board. If it is not able to maintain a charge to the battery on the board, this may be why you are not retaining error codes.

Good luck. I'd love to hear the final diagnoses.

Douglas Houston
99 Suburban 3/4 454 4.10
34 FKWSS V-Lite - (soon to be proud owner)
Flower Mound, TX
dhouston16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

We had the exact problem in our tow vehicle. It was the turbo. We ended up going about 50 miles at 20 to 30 mph until we turned it off at a gas station. Then it ran fine again. Some error codes shoed up. They replaced it under warranty. See if you can get Mercedes to check the turbo if it has one.
rlcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

Had the same thing happen on a Ford Expedition. Mine was't a diesel, but I don't think it matters. The problem was with the Electronic Throttle Control. In newer vehicles, there is no direct linkage between the gas peddal and the engine throttle. Instead this is all done electronically. Sorry to say, it cost me @ $600 at a Ford dealer.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Old Ram Guy

Are you using DEF fluid in it? My Ram cuts the speed of the truck when the DEF level gets below a certain point.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #10

The repair was covered under the 100,000 power train warranty.
rlcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

Made an appointment with Tampa truck center they are a certified Mercedes repair shop with the correct diagnostic computer obd2 will not work with this system lower tech. This unit does not have the dpf fluid not sure what that is the older units used it. Not a turbo eng hope it's just a computer flash everything is like new. Will update when I get a diagnosis.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #12

I agree on it being a firm ware issue. I had a similar issue with my tow rig and it ended being 2 things they needed to up date the firm ware and they had a recall on one of the computers over heating causing issues. They installed a larger fan on the system for cooling. No problems now.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #13

A friend had the same problem with his Class A Freightliner. Turned out to be a bad sensor. I think it was the water in fuel sensor. Happened several times. Finally got to a Freightliner dealer who diagnosed it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #14

I had a 2009 sprinter with that same problem, ended up to be the EGR valve replaced it end of problem
northdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Ok guys got the good and bad news I was able to get it into limp mode and took it right to Tampa truck center they did an express write up and found a soft code for the egr valve. Bad news is they want 1.100$ to replace it.I am a little shocked at 17k but who knows have read that they can be cleaned I am a certified master mech and think I will give it a shot if not I will replace it.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #16

Life was much less expensive before emission control... sorry to hear that. Good luck cleaning the one you have. Please post results.
2013 WFKSS-30 V-Lite
2015 - 209 days
dhouston16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I bet if you look around someone is offering a egr delete for that unit.
Unless by law you are required to pass an emissions test

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://m.dieselspec.ca/6-brand-mercedes.html?cat=2

[emoji85] [emoji87] [emoji86]

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #19

After talking with Good Sam and going over the contract the egr valve is not a covered item of course it's not and 1,100.00 is out of the question. Trekked back to retrieve the coach and the svc advisor Nichole took care of me after I explained my situation she only charged me 25.00 for diagnosis not the 125.00 I signed for. The estimate was for 3.0 hrs in labor at 145.00 an hr and 525.0. in parts . Being a tech for many years I popped the hood expecting to see the valve buried and a pia to get out. To my joy it was right there in my face and took me all of 17 minutes to remove. I was surprised to find that it was clogged and the valve was stuck in the halfway position. There were a couple of videos on U Tube about cleaning them and after some further research on the sprinter forum I have found this to be a common problem and a flaw in the design. Going to get some Seafoam cleaner in the am and soak it clean it and reinstall will see what happens if it fails I have access to sprinter parts and my cost for the valve would be 325.00,200.00 less than the dealer.Will keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #20

My f150 does the same thing when i manually operate the trailer brakes. Once i got the trailer brake module where i wanted it, it has never done it since.
rominks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, modifications