Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2024, 10:13 PM   #1

Losing 12v

Hi I need some help I keep losing 12v power for some reason. I have solar in my rv I have a Cherokee 294GEBG. Everything was working fine but about a month ago I started having 12v power problems. Is my battery disconnect supposed to be on or off I'm connected to shore power. This is starting to get on my nerves I had my ac running today on auto I came home and the 12v was off no breakers were tripped but I turned off and back on the converter breaker and it came back on but I lost it about 10 to 15 mins later it's like the ac or something is draining something I don't know I'm just throwing something out here because I don't know what's going on. My battery is reading 13.6 Ai just don't understand why this keeps happening sometimes it seems like when it's overcast it happens. I'm not really sure maybe my converter is going out can someone shed some light on this please.
Strubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:44 AM   #2

The battery should be on when plugged into shore power, It acts as a buffer if there is a surge.

I’ve always thought that a AC to DC converter designed run batteries needs like a modern load.

If the battery is on, you should not lose 12 volts until the battery is dead, If the converter iCBis on, it should charge the battery and it won’t die. If the Converter is CB is off, the 12 votls will drain until the battery is dead.

If the battery switch is off and the converter CB is on, then that may explain your problems.
chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:51 AM   #3

Converter is the battery charger AND it also acts as a power supply, powering all the 12v devices.

You don't actually need any battery if you have the converter plugged into 120v shorepower.
Some things with real heavy loads ,like slides........ may need a battery to help them get started.

Converter will keep your battery charged as long as they are connected together and you have 120v... the disconnect switch should be ON

PLUS.... there will be some 30 amp squarish 12v Breakers located under the trailer on the FRAME near the battery
You also need to make sure breakers are OK too ... most will have a little tiny button on the side that you press IN to reset.

Easiest way to tell is you battery is connected
1) Turn off the 120v converter.... (unplug shorepower) and any solar
2) turn ON a 12v item like a light or roof fan
If anything 12v works even slightly, then the battery IS connected
If solar panels... do the above test at night if you don't know how the solar is connected.

You will then have to test if your battery is any GOOD
it may not be accepting a charge any longer.
How OLD is the battery and what type?

Basic test if Converter is working....
a) Disconnect the battery main negative
b) connect shore power
Your Lights and all your 12v items should work

Make sure converter is turned ON at the main 120v breaker panel.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

120v shore power and 12v battery power are separate things
the ONLY thing that joins them is the CONVERTER or it may have been upgraded to INVERTER/CHARGER

Air conditioner, wall outlets for 120v appliances ONLY work on 120v shorepower,
other than the previously mentioned CONVERTER ... Ignore anything that runs on 120v if you are testing/worried about 12v problems.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:05 AM   #4

OK so the battery disconnect was in the off position the circuit breaker is on I couldn't find any 30amp squarish breakers near the battery. I'm gonna leave it on and give it a few days but I will have my ac in and sometimes I lose 12v which on turn shuts off my ac because the thermostats are 12v I don't know what's going on or why it just dies I habe 13.6 v and it's not going down I just lose the 12v randomly sometimes and in my tests in weeks previous I don't think it mattered if the switch was on or off I still lost 12v.This is a, 2023 model so it was made in 2022 probably sat on the lot a year before it was bought. None of this was happening for the first 2 months or so I would leave my acs on all day but come home and they would be off because I lost 12 which killed the thermostats which killed the 12v.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:28 AM   #5

Batteries are 0 to 12.6 volts. Any reading over that you are reading something trying to charge the battery recently. Nothing else! Turn off solar.

You need to turn shore power off. Go have lunch. Come back two hours later.

Use your voltmeter on the terminals of the battery. Write it down. 0-12.6 volts.

Plug shore power back on. Wait a few minutes. Now test the terminals on the battery the same way. You are now reading the Converter voltage. Should be 13 to 14 volts. This will verify if the converter is likely working. Wait an hour to see what happens.

If not folks will help figure the problem out.

Do, step one first.

We have a battery monitor which makes rv life easier. Batteries are the weak link. Too much flying while blind without the monitor.

Wet cell batteries take time to charge. Lots. You likely need 24 hours.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:33 AM   #6

I can't turn off solar I have no option to I have a controller in my storage compartment but it only has options you can't select only read.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:34 AM   #7

To be honest I think the converter/inverter is going out that's why I'm losing 12v randomly it might last for a week but then boom out of nowhere I come home no 12v.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #8

Let me ask a stupid question this seems to happen when my acs are left on for long amounts of time could the acs have a, safe mode where they will shut down the 12v if there's a problem I'm not getting any error message on the thermostats at this point I'm just grasping for straws.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:51 AM   #9

Or could the inverter/converter be getting overhead and shutting down I hate all the low voltage stuff is so sensitive to any and this trailer is nothing but alot of 12v systems.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #10

What voltages are you seeing at the battery with your shore power unhooked?
At the convertor with your shore power unhooked?

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:04 AM   #11

Well I don't know I haven't done that yet I can't actually get to the converter it's in a wall.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:06 AM   #12

I mean do does the battery even matter really with the inverter/converter doesn't is convert 120 to 12v that's why I can't understand why it does this is hasn't done it since last night but I have kept the ac off since last night.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:07 AM   #13

I'm thinking the converter might be going out or maybe I have a bad cell in the battery.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:14 AM   #14

The solar is off at night, so tripping the converter breaker and measuring the 12 VDC after a few minutes at night would be the test.
chrisski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:16 AM   #15

When the sun goes down the solar is off!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:16 AM   #16

ac's work on shorepower

even if you had NO battery the CONVERTER will power the 12v thermostat
it will get power as long as you plug into 120v somewhere.

If your Air conditioner is NOT working
a) confirm you are getting 120v from the shorepower via campground pedestal
Or if you are mooch docking from your garage at home (like I do , for storage)

Make sure OTHER 120v items work.... does your microwave work?
make sure your converter is ON

if nothing works on the 120v side... check your breakers at the INTERNAL power center
cycle the breakers fully on/off ..... sometimes they trip but they appear to be ON

check the outside connections ... the POWER cord and the breaker in the pedestal or garage (whichever applies)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thermostat
does the light come on when you cycle the buttons (show you got power to it)

turn it on fan only............ does the fan in the air conditioner run?

if the simple tests show that some parts of the air conditioner work...

set thermostat to 60 degrees
turn it to auto COOL

the fan should come on listen for compressor.

If it does not get cold or start you'll need someone who can look at it and determine what is broken , could be a :
thermostat
capacitor
contactor
softstart (if fitted)
don't just replace parts unless you know how to test them... $$$$$$$ costs soon add up!

Most of the time a a/c will have some part that will run even if something else is busted
such as the Internal fan... is independant of the compressor
Old 02-11-2024, 11:28 AM   #17

Yes the ac works fine but the thermostats is on the 12v so when the 12v goes out it takes out the ac because the thermostat dies. Like I said I think the converter is getting overheated or something or it's going out. Sometimes it works for a week and I come home I have no 12v everything else works but the 12v.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:30 AM   #18

I bought my Coachman Catalina Legacy in 2021 at the rally .
In 2023 had to have the inverter replaced due to no power at all.
Worked great Unit sat for 4 months everything worked for about 2 weeks and again absolutely no power. It has a dedicated plug no problem there. Put battery on charge will work IF on charge. New battery going in today.

I have had problems with this unit.
Water vent hose came off, water all over the inside of the trailer.
While using the table for a bed the holders on the seats broke off, Grandson was not hurt.
The inside slide wall are coming apart.
Twice no power at all.

Wish I would have stuck with the Cherokee brand.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:44 AM   #19

Well I have a Cherokee but I'm having some power problems.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:18 PM   #20

OK so it just happened again lost 12v power for no reason it just got dark here my battery disconnect is on and the circuit breaker for my converter is on. I had to manually flip the breaker off and back on to restore the 12v power. I don't understand this I'm getting frustrated is the solar bot charging the battery correctly or is my battery bad or is the converter bad. I have to pay someone to tow this to the dealership I'm tired of dealing with this issue.

Tags
12v