Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

main door gas strut pulled out by wind

We have a 2013 Flagstaff 30WFKSS. The main entrance door has a gas strut at the top of of door to hold is open at 90 degrees. Last week was windy where we were camping and sure enough, the wind jerked the door out of my hand and proceeded to rip the screws out of the camper side and bend the metal trim around the door. Has anyone had this happen to them and come up with something heavy duty.
I can't us the usual manual door latch as the front arm of the awning is right beside the door.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Just straighten the door and use 3/16 pop rivets. I moved both the pivot and the anchors 2" closer to the hinge and got more than 90° and it still clears the awning arm by over 1" and it helps close the door.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I read your post on the relocation but thought you used a different piston. I was also thinking about using some aluminum strap (1/4" x 1-1/2" x 8" long) mounted above the door and on the door for new mounting location.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Used something similar to fill the holes and thru bolted on the camper wall and put a backer strip inside and nylock nuts. Has worked and not loosened in 2 yrs now.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #5

I had same problem. Replaced original screws with larger diameter screws. Works so far but I like the rivet idea a lot better.
DAB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

I'm going to try OldCoot's method as soon as I get the camper home. The camper and wife have been in Texas since March. I had to fly back to SD to work a few weeks. I'm now back in Texas and we will hit the road first thing in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
door, gas, led