Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Mini Lite Bike Rack on Bumper

I currently mount 2 bikes to the ladder without issue, but need to add a 3rd bike to the equation. After lots of research it seems like my most viable option is to go with a bumper mounted bike rack. The front frame mounts seem like an option, but are pretty expensive, and I already own a bumper mount that I haven't used yet.
I have read all of the warnings about not mounting to a sturdy setup, and my '17 Mini Lite bumper is welded right to the lower frame. It looks and feels pretty darn sturdy. Has anyone else attempted this on a Mini Lite and how did it work out for you?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campordie View Post
This looks like what you need. Seems like this guy has the right idea. lippert jack it.

The Lippert jack is 25 pounds, add another 50 pounds for 2 bikes and now I'm looking at 75 lbs of added tongue weight.
I can see the benefit if I put the 3rd bike on the ladder. My first preference would still be to use the rack I inherited vs. spending another $200...
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
No Bike Rack on the rear bumper, never! Not designed for this. You are talking a mini light camper here, lite frame, lite bumper. The tongue is your best bet.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ha-161045.html

Also, you can add a receiver hitch to the frame of your TT so mount a bike rack into, but you can't just add it to the bumper.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ha-161045.html

Also, you can add a receiver hitch to the frame of your TT so mount a bike rack into, but you can't just add it to the bumper.

Yikes! Well, I don't want that to happen! I'll need to look into the receiver hitch, I would think that my bumper would get in the way based on the height of the frame, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

I just found this from another forum post, and lots of rave reviews:
https://mount-n-lock.com/all-product...bumper-failure

With this reinforcement is a bumper mount not so crazy?

Based on the feedback above, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Curt 13703 adjustable hitch receiver, but I read a review that said it didn't work with the Mini Lite's I-beam construction, since the brackets were too big. The lesson, as always, is that nothing is easy.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Site Team

There are other considerations beside just the bumper. To make your unit a "Lite" a manufactured I-Beam frame is used. These are not as strong as the standard I-Beams used on larger units. It is very important that when considering what others have done, you take into consideration what model the others own. You already added the weight of the ladder rack and bikes to the frame.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #8

Fair point Flybob. With that being said, would I not have the same issue with mounting a hitch receiver to that same "lite" frame?

I would like to see what other Mini Lite owners have done so I'm not reinventing the wheel here.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

I know of others like myself and you with mini kites and some have added a receiver hitch fabricated by a trailer service center. They paid around $200 to have it installed and travel with: bikes without any issues.
tandum3745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 AM   #10

I spent some time measuring last night, and I don't have room to install a hitch receiver unfortunately. There's only 4.5" from the edge of the I-beam to where the underbelly enclosure is, and I'm not going to start ripping that open to access the steel. At this point it looks like my options are either mounting to the front frame and adding that weight to the tongue weight or adding safety struts to the bumper.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:31 AM   #11

I have had mixed results with trying to travel with bikes. And everyones situation is different, so I dont presume to know the details of your situation.

We have used the bike bunk and had no issues with it at all. It was bullet proof, so to speak. But it was also "above" the propane bottles, making it a chore to get them refilled.

We then used the Jack-It system that was mentioned up above. But, and this is just my opinion, that device was garbage. We used it once on a trip from Maryland to Miami and back. On the return trip, somewhere in the Daytona FL area it failed and broke. The hollow square tubing they used looks like it ripped. I could see the bikes in the rear view and they were fine, next time I looked, they were leaned waaay over to the side. Pulled over and found the Jack-It had broke/torn.

We used both of those systems because the truck bed was 5.5'. We have since gotten a new truck, and this time specifically got the 6.5' bed. We just remove the front wheel from the bikes and they fit perfectly under the tonneau cover. We could fit a 3rd if we needed to, but its just us so there are only two bikes. Many people use bike racks because their truck bed has other stuff in it, so they cant use their bed for bikes. Thats why I mentioned not knowing your specific situation. "If" you can put them in the truck bed, thats the best way (my opinion) to travel with bikes

Another thing we considered, but never did, was to install "cleats" for bikes on the under side of the dining booth bench seat (the plywood under the cushion). The forks of the bike would attach to the cleats. When you arrive, remove the bike from the trailer, flip the seat over, put the cushion in place. But I have concerns about bringing the bikes in and out of the trailer, the door isnt particularly "wide".

Seems there is no "perfect" or "universal" solution. Some people even put a hitch on the front of their tow vehicle and put bikes there, I personally dont like that idea, but thats just me. But as was mentioned above, I would never trust the rear bumper. Seeing the rear mounted bike racks bounce at slow speed over speed bumps in the campgrounds blows my mind, the forces applied to them are incredible. It freaks me out a little whenever I am behind an rv with bikes on the back. Hope some of this information helps a little

Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #12

Thanks Semperfi. I currently have 2 bikes on a ladder rack, and keep an eye on them with my rear camera and there is no movement. This might not be the perfect solution but it has worked so far. I've been putting the 3rd bike in my truck bed under the tonneau cover like you. It does fine but the problem is that it take up half of my truck bed. I haven't taken off the front tire, perhaps I should consider that as it sounds like a quick loosening and tightening of a nut is all that's involved. That would probably save some room. I don't love the idea of bringing any outdoor item inside for transport, but I may explore that as well.

Tags
bike, bike rack, lite