Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Moisture under bunks - Shamrock Expandable

We own a 2007 Shamrock expandable and for the most part, like it very much. This summer, however, we camped for 7 nights in a row in cool weather and discovered that in the morning, the bunks under the mattresses were wet. I mean wet - one bunk is now wavy underneath. We tried sleeping with the bunk warmers plugged in, and with the flaps unzipped somewhat and it made no difference. This is a serious problem. Is there a remedy?
dkitzerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Site Team

this is a problem with many hybrids and popups that have mattresses with fabric bottoms.
some other brands have mattresses with vinyl bottoms and don't seem to have this issue.

it's condensation from temp differences between the outside and the body heat on the mattress.
i use Reflectix on the bunk door and a wool blanket on top of that and then the mattress. this seems to reduce the moisture quite a bit.
others have used just the Reflectix. there is no 100% fix yet, from what i've read. a lot of us are trying different solutions.
another hybrid owner bought something called Hypervent, that's used on boats, in the bed berths. they stated it helped a lot but it cost a lot.

getting the mattress off of the door so the temp differences don't come into play.

it would help to ask this question, in the Expandable section, since it's a hybrid-specific question.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

I sure don't like to hear that, but thanks. I'd think if it's a design flaw like that, that FR should be replacing the mattresses.
dkitzerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #4

When we had our 2001 shamrock we use to put 1" blue Styrofoam insulation under the mattress, it helped in real cool to keep some of the condensation from getting the mattress wet
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkitzerow View Post
I sure don't like to hear that, but thanks. I'd think if it's a design flaw like that, that FR should be replacing the mattresses.
most hybrid/popup manufacturers make them with fabric bottoms. so all of them would have to replace.
i'm also not convinced that the vinyl-bottomed ones don't also have moisture, inside of the vinyl. you just can't feel it. and it may be more subject to mildew/mold while the fabric-bottomed ones may dry out better.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote