Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #1

More Bubbles On The Walls

A while ago I found bubbles developing under the back window. When I arrived at my camper on Friday evening, I found a new display of bubbles over top of the slide out, what a SHOCK. I went up on the roof Saturday morning and inspected the roof and found a small hole on the edge, now the location of the hole is about three feet from where the bubbles display developed on the inside but yet there is no pattern.
The short wall next to the slide out to the rear of the camper has a cluster of very small bubbles on it which I did not take a picture of It and I noticed that the same small wall is starting to warp.
I do not know how the hole got there nor do I know how long It has been there, so I put a piece of duct tape on It for the time being.
The camper was removed from the site the 3rd week of June and headed South to Myrtle Beach for two weeks then return back to the seasonal In Hershey PA and has been there now for about 3 weeks, I am wondering If some thing hit the roof while traveling.........The reason for this thread is to get people to inspect there roofs on a regular bases, especially If you are doing a lot of traveling and watch out for low limbs.
As far as the problem I am having with the bubbles under the back window, I still don't know where It is coming from. The first pic is under the rear window, the next two pic is new, and the last pic is the hole on the edge of the roof over the slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black under wall paper.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3107   Click image for larger version

Name:	another shot.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	3108   Click image for larger version

Name:	more bubbles.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	3109   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole on edge of roof.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	3110  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #2

What a shame. All manufacturers use luan (cheap wood sheeting) in the walls and under the first layer of the roof. One drop of water and it warps and starts to rot .The only fix is to tear off the wall material and replace the luan. I've seen the fiberglass on the sides of campers get huge bulges behind the fiberglass after water has leaked in through the roof or window casing. One has to make sure the caulking around the windows is good.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #3

rockwood06,

You know I've been through the same thing, so I feel for you. It's amazing how one small hole can be the cause of that kind of damage. Your right, we need to consistantly look for things like that.

Good luck to you. Hope you get things worked out OK.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #4

We have had many problems with our rig and things seem to be getting worse as time go's on. We were talking this weekend about buying a a park model that is all ready on a site in the same campground where we have our seasonal site and then take our camper home and use it for traveling until the last trip it can make then drop it off at the junkyard. Before this issue came up we had considered trading it in on a Windjammer, but now we have to think about this. I am not sure if the small hole in the roof cause this problem, but It can't be ruled out, but since the damage is all ready done I don't fell like rebuilding the camper. I posted a pic of the park models we are considering, It's the one in the middle but all three are the same and the ones on each side have all ready been sold. The veiw from the front windows looks across the pond and directly at the seasonal site that our camper is on right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	site #72.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	3117  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

It's bad when you can't enjoy your tt. The park model looks like a nice set up.

Good luck.

check your pm's.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
What a shame. All manufacturers use luan (cheap wood sheeting) in the walls and under the first layer of the roof. One drop of water and it warps and starts to rot .The only fix is to tear off the wall material and replace the luan. I've seen the fiberglass on the sides of campers get huge bulges behind the fiberglass after water has leaked in through the roof or window casing. One has to make sure the caulking around the windows is good.
Not all manufacturers use wood backed luan. Finally, there are manufacturers that are using composite materials for their walls, roofs etc. ( gulfstream (visa model), earthbound RV, evergreen RV to name a few ). This should take care of the rotten wood part, only time will tell if there is still delamination problems due to bad glues etc.

To me, this is a much welcomed and way too long in coming change. I'm sure every manufacturer is going to have composite models in the near future!
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #7

I hear you, shineysideup.

With all the delamination problems, leaks (not referring to water pipe leaks) and so forth that I have experienced and read about on this forum, plus the costly damage it can cause, it's becoming clear that all manufaucturers need to look for a better way.