RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #41

To prevent a rodent problem every avenue of defense must be pursued. Every hole needs to be stuffed with metal mesh and glued in, all expanded foam areas should be covered with metal mesh and than something like RTV to hold it fast. Poison and glue traps in and out. Food inside should be removed when the RV is not in use. I would even get a cat, except my neighbor feeds about 5 stray cats that regularly patrol my property. Did I miss anything? Do that too.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #42

Mouse Stories

Just today I heard from my mother who discovered mice in her two year-old Hyundai - she's mortified. But she had a sack of dog food in the truck and they chewed through the bag to get the kibble. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't have a hole through the firewall, or elsewhere, through which mice could not make entry.

I've been steadily waging the battle with mice in our 33 KRLOK and have made some headway, but the little buggers still manage to find a path. I suspect they're gaining access to the underbelly through the frame where the slide rams pass. They are then getting into the furnace enclosure from the underbelly and from there into the living space.

The best solution I've found thus far is steel wool. My drains and fresh water lines have been surrounded by steel wool where they pass through the floor; the plumbing trap under the sinks have also been covered with a steel wool carpet, for lack of a better term. I've also installed my steel wool carpet on the floor under the furnace, but that will come out when I fire up the furnace as I'm concerned the SW could catch fire in that environment.

My main tool though is to keep anything edible away from any accessible space and making sure there's no access to water.

Best of success with your battles. I feel comforted when watching veteran RV YouTubers and full timers discuss the same problems as I know I'm not alone and it is a continual battle.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #43

“You’d think” scenarios abound with near everything. RVs are no diff. One can pay 7 figures & have performance & quality issues, including rodents. Mice squeeze into 1/4” gaps, hard to mitigate that. No one is complacent, they simply manage expectations. Go over your unit with a fine tooth comb, mitigate everything you can find, even redo original manufacturing specs & I assure you a mouse will get in in a few days.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #44

A mouse can fit through any opening it can get it head through. No RV ever was made that tight. Use baited traps place outside of the rig, not in it.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #45

While Fresh Cab has worked well for me in years past, I have found it less expensive and more effective to hire a professional to treat the area around the outside of my RV (and inside, just in case they break the outside “barrier”). I do this every year after I have packed up. I will return after closing up to meet with the pest control people to open and close slide outs as needed. I also minimize the number of things connected to my RV that can touch the ground, such as stabilizers, making it easier for mice to gain access.

Bruce
Old 11-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #46

Mouse free

No one has mentioned the use of Mouse Free!
I am ready for my first winter with my Forest River Salem FSX 181rt toy hauler.
I used Peppermint oil and solid traps inside after foaming any apparent gaps.
I sprayed peppermint oil everywhere outside after spraying everything under the unit with Mouse Free. Everything is so slippery now there is little way for a mouse to climb up anywhere. I also purchased a 40 foot rope light that I placed on bricks under the unit and used a dusk to dawn timer. Finally, I have 2 patrol cats that are let out periodically early morning and late at night.
I also can definitely state that Mothballs have absolutely NO deterrent effect on mice as I had a box of mothballs in an outside small storage box for my oil drain pan and used oil that they made a nest IN the mothballs!
MapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #47

Cats are probably you best defense against mice. I battled this for over 40 years in NE from pop ups to TTs to Class As. We tried everything from peppermint oil, dryer sheets, moth balls. I crawled under the RVs and stuffed steel wool everyplace I could find even the smallest opening. I put mothballs, peppermint oil, etc.. inside,
outside but in the end the only thing that seem to work in the Class A was the old process of elimination with traps. Heck I'd set up 4-6 and check them weekly. After a few weeks of emptying them weekly they're seem to stop coming. Heck I'd check my cars monthly especially the kids being parked outside if it wasn't the field mice it was the chipmunks. Usually found one sooner or later nestled in one of the air filters or nesting under the engine cover on top of the engines. I've since retired and moved to Florida and so far so good with the Class A down here but I'll take nothing for granted. If anyone ever came up with a permanent solution they'd become very very rich...
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #48

Mothballs an Irish Spring soap are useless. Actually mice will eat soap, any kind even Lava bar soap.

Peppermint oil is good and so is Fir Needle Oil used in Fresh Cab packets - mice do not like the aroma so stay away.
Dakota 1120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #49

The best thing I have done for mice is: Take a 2 gallon bucket and make a ramp up to the top edge. Put a dowel across from the ramp to the other side. Notch the bucket to hold the the dowel. Put a 4" piece of PVC pipe on the dowel held in the center with a couple nails to keep it there but loose enough to spin on the dowel. Now put about 3" of anti-freeze in the bucket and place in the camper. One year in the spring I had 13 mice in the bucket, all preserved and no smell or slime.Leave your cabinet doors etc. open so they can get to the trap if they enter. Just dig a deep hole to dispose of the mice in the spring deep enough so that wildlife won't get to the dead bodies. Good Luck. Every other thing I have tried has just been treated as food by the mice. Things like D-Con just end up in my boots thanks to them saving the pellets for later. Tried "Cab-Fresh" and they ate the bags of it and made a horrible mess. Anti-freeze bucket has never failed!
Also, be sure not to let any pets into the camper B4 you remove the trap!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
The only time I've ever heard my wife scream, and I ran to her rescue, she was dancing around on one foot next to a dark basement closet with a sticky mouse trap stuck to her foot with a live black snake hanging out of it.

Now that’s entertainment
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
The best thing I have done for mice is: Take a 2 gallon bucket and make a ramp up to the top edge. Put a dowel across from the ramp to the other side. Notch the bucket to hold the the dowel. Put a 4" piece of PVC pipe on the dowel held in the center with a couple nails to keep it there but loose enough to spin on the dowel. Now put about 3" of anti-freeze in the bucket and place in the camper. One year in the spring I had 13 mice in the bucket, all preserved and no smell or slime.Leave your cabinet doors etc. open so they can get to the trap if they enter. Just dig a deep hole to dispose of the mice in the spring deep enough so that wildlife won't get to the dead bodies. Good Luck. Every other thing I have tried has just been treated as food by the mice. Things like D-Con just end up in my boots thanks to them saving the pellets for later. Tried "Cab-Fresh" and they ate the bags of it and made a horrible mess. Anti-freeze bucket has never failed!
Nice idea - have a picture of the trap?
VR51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #52

Rope Lights and a Falcon

We use LED weatherproof rope lights under the ENTIRE RV, pooling them near the engine (Class C), we have solar spot lights and solar rope lights around the grassy area of where ever we camp and we have 2 garden falcons weighted with sand in the front and the back of our motorhome. For fun, I have 3 holiday strobe lights controlled via bluetooth that allow you to select colors and themes on a timer. Call us crazy, we don't care. We light our camper up at night like the Eiffel Tower. You can't miss it. We don't use the light under the awning because it attracts insects and frogs. Yes, FROGS. We use a product called Fresh Cab in all outdoor storage and under cabinets. They need replacing every 6 months but they are cheap. We have these inexpensive but bright motion activated battery LED lights we bought at Menards that we mounted in every dark cabinet of our RV. Especially, the kitchen cabinets. They mount with 2 tiny screws or 3M tape. We find the tape doesn't work well. We put steel wool or expanding foam in any holes. We spent an entire week looking in, under and around to try to seal off entry points. So far, so good. 2 of our friends we camp with have no lights and have repeat mice issues. We have not (knock on wood) I don't do rodents.
katanajo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
You can buy that kind of trap on ebay.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #54
ADKROCKS

2013 saw major damage to our trailer since then we use approximately twenty sandwich bags with essential oils of peppermint, lavender and cinnamon and have never seen any evidence of mice since. The trailer does smell like a peppermint patty in the spring but it goes away. Poke small holes in the baggies.
daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
Poke small holes in the baggies.
Some of those oils can melt their own holes through baggies. It’s best to not place them on anything that might get damaged should they leak. Put them in or on ceramic or glass bowls or plates just to be safe.

Bruce
Old 11-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #56
NH Horseman

Mice

Over the years I think we have tried everything recommended. Mouse traps work but they have to get inside first. We used dryer sheets and the mice made a nest out of them. Since we put in packets of "Fresh Cab" in several places we have had ZERO mouse or rodent issues. This stuff works! It is used in commercial Silo's to protect grain and it's available at several places. We get ours at Tractor Supply. It smells like PotPourri and we re-use the year old packets in other places while we put in new yearly.
Camping since 1971
NHHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #57

Copper wool is recommended in the points where mice chew to enter. Steel wool rusts however copper wool does not and the mice can not chew through it without injuring their mouths. A mouse can enter any opening that a pencil can fit in.
2005 Subaru Outback

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #58

mice getting into RV

If you are using spray foam in areas where mice chewed through anything, try using steel wool and spray foam, in other words make sure the foam is injected into the steel wool while filling the gaps. they dont like getting a bunch of metal while chewing!!!
Joeski3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #59

Another mice tread

Hi,
The day before we stored our 2004 Georgetown in an indoor storage facility, I cought one mouse in a mechanical trap. I had inkling that the little sucker had invaded ou rig, so I had put a couple of traps the night before.

So we took our RV to the storage facility, and set the traps up again, just to be sure. A few weeks after I went back to check on the four traps, lo and behold, three mice were caught. I was a bit in dismay, and the facility owner told me he would check them up again and let me know if he found anything. So far no new, but I'm a bit leary.
So today I went out and bought Rat and Mice poison

(https://www.wilsoncontrol.com/en/pro...ilson-wilsarin)
hoping it would be more effective than mechanical traps that have to be reset.

I heard of "Warfarin" that has the "side effect" of drying up the corpse, avoiding unpleasant odors.

I know there are opponents to using chemical warfare, but the facility being closed and indoor, I assume the rodents will not see the outdoors after they die.
So my question is: is this the right product to use inside my rig?
Thanks everyone,
Maurice
Old 12-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #60

MouseX or RatX are rodentacids that are sate for people, dogs, cats, and birds of prey to consume. It costs the rodents stomach and doesn't allow the cillia(hair like strands) in the gut from drying out. This stops the rodent from knowing its in need of drinking water. The pellets are super high in sodium so they dehydrate and mummifies the body. No smell no blood leak. Available at Lowes and Home Depot.
B-Rave98 is offline   Reply With Quote