RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsbarsCT View Post
Sorry, I was asking Leeboat if he could please post his "after" photo...
I've attached a photo if the system allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	244486  
leeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #62

Mice and other rodents do tons of damage to cars and trucks also
rommroma557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #63

When we leaved in Mass. Over the years i had to constantly check the popup, then TT, motorhome and our cars every few months especially during the fall and winter. I'd find everything from mice to chipmunks nestled under the engine cowling, inside the air filters, and as for the RVs just about anyplace. I'd clean them out of all paper and cloth goods but they always managed to find something and build their nests. I used everything n the RVs from peppermint oil, dryer sheets, I'd hunt down every hole i could find and fill it with steel wool and caulking but in the end it took traps to clean house. Retired to Florida in Jan 2019 haven't had one issue, so far. Though I checking though unlike NE I'm not surrounded by acres of woods. Though I miss NE I don't miss that aggravation along with the winters.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #64
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

A couple of these work wonders for us.
We have plenty of surplus inventory, just send me your shipping address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Twist July 2020 (2).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	245461  
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #65
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

But really, Fresh Cab (available in the pest section at Menard's) and peppermint oil works great for us in winter storage.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #66

Agreed....but Florida has the immortal cockroaches. The only insect known to survive nuclear blasts. And they are just as difficult to get rid of as critters in the NE. Don't ask me how I know.

On our camping trip to Indiana this past October, we got infested with stink bugs. In our clothes, camper, everywhere. 4 months later, we are still finding one or two a week in the Colorado house. Gained a new appreciation for lack of bugs in Colorado.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
A couple of these work wonders for us.
We have plenty of surplus inventory, just send me your shipping address.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #68

When I tried "Cab Fresh" the mice thought it was gourmet food. Gone in a week. Can't beat anti freeze, 13 one year and they don't decay and smell!
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:38 AM   #69

I had the same problem with my 2018 wildwood 27dbk. Tried all the peppermint stuff , dryer sheets , Irish spring , ect.. Now I just have regular mouse traps set under the cabinets. Inside every unscrewable panel . Finally caught them. Then I went underneath the camper and used gorilla tape and blocked everything with that and real fine steel wool. I'm good now.
John68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #70

Nuclear Mouse War

I had a couple of findings.
1) when I slide my kitchen / living room out the slide seal travels out with the slide and at the end of its travel a small hole is left in each lower corner. If I go back and push that slide seal in toward the trailer interior that hole almost disappears. I suspect this will become a part of my opening procedure from now on.
2) the large chunk of expanding foam missing from the passenger front corner was an opening at the stabilizer jack and was quite large. It also happened to be the shortest distance to the ground due to the terrain, and, I suspect the little critters were able to climb the stabilizer and make a jump to the belly through this hole. I think the plug of spray foam was likely removed by a larger rat, but could have also been another critter since this mooch dock location is under a shed on a farm.

Remedies:
I plan to remove virtually all my spray foam plugs in the Coroplast belly plate and replace them with Coroplast covers screwed to the surrounding belly plate and cut to size to fit tightly into the openings. Any gaps will be sealed with silicone versus spray foam.

Slide seal manipulation listed above.

I've got to remove the electrical panel which is in a trough shared by the shower pan, furnace, vents and open air space and seal between the various elements with expanding wire mesh, Coroplast panels, or both.

Find any remaining penetrations between my floor and and belly (furnace, water lines, etc.) and plug the balance of those openings with steel wool.

Lastly, I will probably spring for the $170 - $200 for a Goodnature A24 mouse and rat trap and mount it somewhere near the driver's side tandem axle as that seems to be their best method of getting onto some of the frame elements for their underground railway of sorts. I'm going to ask my father, who lives on the property, to cart away the carcases but I suspect they may be hauled away as food for other wildlife. And thus ends with the "nuclear option."
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote