Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #1

Need Input On Selecting GPS System

I am looking to buy a GPS system. I have checked reviews on most manufactures and It looks like Garmin navigation system is the way to go. The two models I am considering is the 350 and the 660. Any input would be great! Thanks in advance.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #2

I use a Garmin nuvi 360 so far works very well, calculates and recalculates pretty quick if you travel off your destination. I use this for work and traveling to a new campground. The 360 has bluetooth which I have setup and use instead of holding the cell phone while driving
cma659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Site Team

I've owned several brands & models. I agree that Garmin is probably the way to go. If you're considering the 660 be aware that it doesn't have multiple waypoint routing. Samsclub haas the 750 for $299.00 which does have multi waypoint routing. It doesn't have bluetooth but I found that I never use it on mine anyway. If you require bluetooth you'll need to go with the 760. You can go to the Garmin site and do a comparison.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I've owned several brands & models. I agree that Garmin is probably the way to go. If you're considering the 660 be aware that it doesn't have multiple waypoint routing. Samsclub Haas the 750 for $299.00 which does have multi waypoint routing. It doesn't have bluetooth but I found that I never use it on mine anyway. If you require bluetooth you'll need to go with the 760. You can go to the Garmin site and do a comparison.
Thanks, I just learned something new. Was not aware of multiple waypoint routing. I am new at this. Is there anything else that I should consider that has importance?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
What type are you looking for? Auto? Hiking? Combo?
What will you mainly use it for?

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

I guess I'm old school or something. I use a laptop with Delorme Street Atlas and a USB GPS receiver. Paid about $50 at Fry's.

And I already had a laptop. And we take it with us, anyway. Just needed a table to put it on and we're set.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Thanks, I just learned something new. Was not aware of multiple waypoint routing. I am new at this. Is there anything else that I should consider that has importance?
Multi waypoint routing isn't a big deal unless you want to stop along your route or want to manipulate your route through vias.

Here's my list of what's most important to me.

1) Map accuracy (duh!) An address that's actually where they say it is.

2) POI's (Points of interest) and lots of them! The Nuvi has a good number and you can add to it. The Lowrance Iway 600 has the most factory loaded I've seen but you can't add to them.

3) Decent routing. (To me Garmin is the best at this).

4) User interface. Big and easy to navigate the functions.

5) User interface customization. (placing things on the screen that I'd like to see.) I'm a tinkerer but have found out that this isn't nearly as important as I once thought it was. The Nuvi's aren't customizable but I don't have a problem with that. The Iway is the most customizable and TomTom is pretty good too.

6) Bells and whistles. (MP3, bluetooth, traffic, video, etc.) These are at the bottom of my list but you'll have to decide where they fall on yours.

Here's my list in order of importance. Your's might be different. I've owned the Nuvi's, Iway 500/600's, TomTom Go's and Cobra gps units. They all have their good and bad points. I'll be glad to discuss any other points you have questions about. You can PM me or we can put it here so it'll benefit everyone.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
What type are you looking for? Auto? Hiking? Combo?
What will you mainly use it for?
I have had problems getting on the Forum, so I am sorry for the delayed responds. I am going to use the GPS for auto travel and camping. Walking is out of the question, I do enough at work almost a 1,000,000 sq ft.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Multi waypoint routing isn't a big deal unless you want to stop along your route or want to manipulate your route through vias.

Here's my list of what's most important to me.

1) Map accuracy (duh!) An address that's actually where they say it is.

2) POI's (Points of interest) and lots of them! The Nuvi has a good number and you can add to it. The Lowrance Iway 600 has the most factory loaded I've seen but you can't add to them.

3) Decent routing. (To me Garmin is the best at this).

4) User interface. Big and easy to navigate the functions.

5) User interface customization. (placing things on the screen that I'd like to see.) I'm a tinkerer but have found out that this isn't nearly as important as I once thought it was. The Nuvi's aren't customizable but I don't have a problem with that. The Iway is the most customizable and TomTom is pretty good too.

6) Bells and whistles. (MP3, bluetooth, traffic, video, etc.) These are at the bottom of my list but you'll have to decide where they fall on yours.

Here's my list in order of importance. Your's might be different. I've owned the Nuvi's, Iway 500/600's, TomTom Go's and Cobra gps units. They all have their good and bad points. I'll be glad to discuss any other points you have questions about. You can PM me or we can put it here so it'll benefit everyone.
I am going to review your list, I think you hit all on the head. This is a great Forum and I think everyone will benefit from this. If I need extra help I will PM you. Thanks so much.....Wade.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
The Jolly Mon

I love GARMIN products. For an auto navigator...I like the GARMIN NUVI line. The higher the number...the more bells & whistles you get. Nice big touch screens, simple to use.

I love my GARMIND LEGEND C. I use it in the truck, hiking, paddling, jetskiing, on cruise ships, in aircraft, fishing, geocaching, on my bike...possibilities are endless.
It's completely portable...and there are mounts for everything. There are several different type maps you can use. (extra $$) I can make up a route with the GPS, or do it on my computer and feed it in. I've owned 2 GARMIN'S...and they have never had any problems.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #11

I just found out that the wide screen version is not programed to tell when to make a turn just that the turn is a head in footage, where the stardard screen model tell you exactly when to make the turn, is this true? The reason I am asking is because I was in Wal-Mart checking out there GPS system and a salesman from Comcast was in front of the GPS display, this is who gave me that info.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
The Jolly Mon

That information sounds incorrect to me. That's what navigators are for...to get you to your programmed destination. You tell it where you want to go...and it tells you how to get there. Whether it's voice prompts...or visual/beeps like my Garmin Legend C.

I just compared some specs on the Nuvi 260 & Nuvi 260 widescreen. (at Garmin.com) The specs are identical except for screen size.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #13

I did not know about Garmin.com. I just checked it out, fantastic site now I can see the difference between all of the models. Thanks for the web site.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #14

I juet got a garmin and it works well. i need to learn how to update maps and see if differet routes can be added.

we didnt get an expensive unit, about 150.00 i think. i like it but it has taken some weird routes on a couple of recent trips and doesnt recognize some roads i just travelled on in sc. i will read the manual and check its capabilities. it probably will do all i need.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
The Jolly Mon

Any GPS is only as good as the map that's in it. One of the reasons I buy the models I do...upgradeable maps and POI. I can also select the roads I want to take using my home computer, and feed it into the unit. (make my own routes and waypoints)

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #16

It has been suggested to take a look at the Garmin 760, and so far it looks like a winner. I think I can set up my own routs as well. Most stores do not have the 760 as a stock Item, mainly an on line order, however a member of this Forum suggested checking Sam,s club and I did, I check the Northern Virgina and Maryland area and came up with only one Sam,s club that carried it in stock but of course they were out and waiting for more to come in. The price at Sam,s is $299, on line it is $349 and higher. I am still researching.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #17

Well, I did it today I bought the Garmin 750 model, nice piece of equipment. I am charging it as I am posting. Can't wait to try it out, I was going for the 760 but it is not compatible with my cell phone ( LG 8300 ). Thanks for everyones input, the help here has been fantastic.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
The Jolly Mon

Very cool. Keep us posted.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #19

First things first, I see I forgot to log out on Thursday, I just came back from a hot camping trip. I used the GPS just for fun of it on the same route that normally take, I did not pay attention to it's instruction just to see what it would do, Well it's pertty darn smart it would NOT let me get lost. My wife liked how it worked and how easy it is to operate now she wants one for her car. No more paper maps or Map Quest. I fell sorry for the kids that are growing up today, everything is computer and Webb related no more basics. Reading maps are a thing of the past, but of those of us that know the basics, I suggest buying a GPS, you will be COOL...
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #20
The Jolly Mon

I used my Garmin Legend C to navigate a trip 4 hours from home this weekend. Works great.