RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Need new Captains chairs

I have a 2007 forest river 38XL that is perfect for our family.

The quality is much better than the Georgie boy I replaced it with.

Shortly after buying it (used about 3 years ago) the driver side captains chair vinyl started peeling off.

Also they are the most uncomfortable seats I have had any of the motorhomes Iíve owned.

I tried switching them out with the flex steel seats from my old bus before I sold it but they were too different to make it worth the effort. It should be noted the flex steel seats were almost 20 years old and had over 80,000 miles on them and still looked like new.

Can anyone recommend a simple bolt in replacement? Or should I just try to have these rebuilt?
Bsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

I would get them re covered and they can add padding to make them more comfy. I did that with our folding couch. Better material and more padding.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

The new captains chairs

I have thought about doing that but it just seems like the seats are ergonomically not correct to where they could be made comfortable.

And then I probably will be out a grand or so and if I donít like them Iíve thrown good money after bad.

I think I will just pull the trigger on some flex steel seats and make them work at least then I know what I am getting.

Curiously it seemed the drivers seat was installed too far to the left which required you to sit kind of on the side of the seat. This broke down the right side of the seat. Not sure if it was a construction defect or if they do that on purpose to make it easier to step around the doghouse
Bsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote