Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #1

Need some assistance/info quick 2018 Primetime LaCrosse 325REB

Have a 2018 Primetime LaCrosse 325REB. Trying to get my trailer out, and found that the power scissors wouldn't work. Battery reads 12.5V, so should be "good enough" to operate them. Also found that the power tongue jack also does not operate. It is directly wired to the battery (secondary wire).

I found an inline fuse for the tongue (30A), corroded - cleaned it out with electronic cleaner spray, got another fuse, used dielectric grease on it - still no go.

So, I'm down to either replacing the positive terminal connection at the battery (tongue jack wire goes into that) - or manually overriding everything to get it "out" and finding a mobile tech to look it over.

There's probably a fuse with a button reset somewhere, but with the "manuals" provided (useless), this is something that takes a "been there, done that" so it can be quickly found, etc.

I don't have time in the next couple weeks to crawl all over and look at it, we're supposed to go out May 6/7 for a "shakedown" (looks like it'll be quite the shakedown this year). That's why I may need to get a mobile tech.

Anyone got any advice on just WHERE that stupid resettable fuse might be? Or if there's a mobile tech in the Wichita, KS area that they could recommend?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...ic154394_1.gif
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

Oh - and yes the battery disconnect is "connected". Unless it isn't working properly. No fuses blown at the panel.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrwd View Post
So, I'm down to either replacing the positive terminal connection at the battery (tongue jack wire goes into that) - or manually overriding everything to get it "out" and finding a mobile tech to look it over.
Some of those fuses are very difficult to find. Since you don't have time to look it over and replacing the terminal connection at the battery might not work, your best bet might be to manually override everything to get it out and find a mobile mechanic.
You might want to fully charge that battery and try again.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #4

A bit more info. The trailer is connected to 110V via an adapter. Battery disconnect has label "Pull to Disconnect".

It was pushed in the while time I've been messing with it - so - connected.

I pulled the switch - then the jack worked, and the stabilizers worked. So - connected the truck up, lowered the jack, etc all via electric.

Pulled it out so it's easter to get at, and now - if the battery is "Connected" - you get nothing. Disconnect the battery - then the stabilizers work - but now the jack does not. Won't even light up now trying to use light switch.

Guess I could connect the battery to my truck battery with jumpers - see if it's an amperage problem - but when it's dead - it's dead. No sound of anything even trying to come on or work. No clicks, nothing. So not too sure that's it, or that it's a voltage/amperage problem.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:25 PM   #5

Still no joy, I'll mention a thing or two that might help (I hope).

Last fall, in winterizing the trailer, I took the filter/trap off the water pump. This water pump is located in the bunkroom, under the lower bunk. Access panel to get to it - pretty tight quarters for me. Got the filter/trap off and put it on a table beside the bed, and left off the access panel as a "reminder". The other side of the lower bunk contains the furnace. Its certainly possible I bumped something under there last fall.

What puzzles me is why AC electric works for the stabilizers and the tongue jack when the battery disconnect is DISCONNECTED. When you use the battery disconnect to CONNECT the battery - these devices are inoperable. Not even a sound as if they were trying to work.

The tongue jack now doesn't work whether battery disconnect is connected/disconnected - but that could be the switch - it's feeling a bit funky. But then - the light doesn't work now at all either (with disconnect in either position). Is there another fuse/reset IN the jack housing? I've got the external inline fuse replaced - and it still looks ok, and continuity check with voltmeter shows good.

Ideas?

Old 04-24-2022, 05:35 PM   #6

If the tongue jack has one wire, it is grounded thru the frame. Check the 3 bolts for tightness or jumper from battery- to jack metal.
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:09 AM   #7

If I understand your post, your trailer was connected to 110v AC. The converter should be charging the battery while connected to AC. Take a volt ohm meter and check the voltage at the battery.

Switches can get corroded as well, so I'd check voltage on both sides of the switch. If it is charging, it should be over 13 volts.

I installed my own battery disconnect that separates the battery from the frame, so I don't understand how yours is wired. Many trailers have a fuse or circuit breaker under the frame near the hitch.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:37 AM   #8

Ok, at long last - I have a solution. Turned out to be a "comedy of errors".

Trying to get trailer out, took battery out of garage after winter, and mounted it in box on tray. Tried to use tongue jack - no go. Tried to bring stabilizers up - no go. Fiddled and fought it on/off for a few days. Unfortunately, weather hasn't been terribly cooperative, and I'd miss a couple days here and there while working on it.

After calling and visiting some local techs - I told them what I was experiencing (some of which I'd already come to conclusions on - but wanted to be "safe"). The FIRST issue was a label that was flat out wrong. Trailer has battery disconnect (first I've had). I just take the battery out, or disconnect positive side when I want battery disconnected. This disconnect was a push/pull switch. Label said "Pull to Disconnect". I don't know if this was done at factory, or previous owners did it. Anyway - after talking to techs - they said they've never had that - always "Pull to Connect". I didn't get to the point of pulling open things inside to access the back of the switch (it's housed in a "water closet" plastic contraption. I'd already come to that conclusion, as anytime I pulled the switch - things would try to work. I didn't push it much - as it's opposite what the label says.

After confirming the general situation with 3 different techs (Pull to CONNECT) - I got it pulled, tested voltage again, and hooked it up to test voltage drop when "working". Got stabs retracted, and THIS time, the tongue jack would move up/down, so I got it hitched (before, stabs would start to work, tongue jack wouldn't).

Pulled trailer out, and the tongue jack wouldn't work again. Looked it over, and decided to order a new one. Old one is about 5 years old, switch felt wonky, and decided due to age, I'd probably just break plastic on switch trying to get it out. Had to wait a few days for new jack to come in - but got it installed this last Saturday.

Everything works now - when you PULL TO CONNECT. I tore the incorrect label off, made a new one, and put it on the trailer. Also got a hood for the tongue jack - the old one had never seen a hood to protect it. Probably why it failed. So - problems were a label that was incorrect (sure looked factory installed to me), and a tongue jack that gave up the ghost in about 50 feet of movement.

At this point, everything seems ok. Thanks all.

Tags
lacrosse