Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #21

Our 5th wheel sits on our lot from march till about oct. When it gets close, i just use the portable tank, and take that down to the dump site. We can leave the trailer set up in the hottest time of the year, and don't have issues.
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
dustym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #22

No problem... If you have good treatment in. I use the little pouch drop in type and they deodorize and digest. When I have left mine for 3 to 4 weeks before going back out... when I get out and finally dump... it is nice and liquid... no solids, paper all broken up.

Black tanks always empty better and clean out better when you have them at least 3/4 full when you dump. When I get to camp I don't even dump right away, I get more volume in there so it really flows when released.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #23

No real concern about dumping because as we all know the longer " it " sits in the tank, the better it is broken down before going into the sewer.
Of more concern is the extra stress you are putting on your tank and the tank support system you have in your rig.
Travelling with 20 gallons in your tank is somewhat of a good thing as it allows for a good cleaning of the tank but to travel with 40 or 50 gallons of sludge adds too much weight and as was mentioned earlier, do you want your black tank to end up on the road as you travel?????
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
No real concern about dumping because as we all know the longer " it " sits in the tank, the better it is broken down before going into the sewer.
Of more concern is the extra stress you are putting on your tank and the tank support system you have in your rig.
Travelling with 20 gallons in your tank is somewhat of a good thing as it allows for a good cleaning of the tank but to travel with 40 or 50 gallons of sludge adds too much weight and as was mentioned earlier, do you want your black tank to end up on the road as you travel?????
...end up on the road...! What is behind me is of no concern! LOL

But you bring a good point.
Tanks do sag and break loose. Ewww

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 dump every time and never travel with waste or gray. Hopefully you don't have a tank drop also as we have read here on the forum. Later RJD
That could be a problem for the chuckle head who is tail-gating / drafting your trailer....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I traveled with a half full black tank and I will never do that again! My flush valve got plugged with ‘material’ in the tank so I had the joy of pulling the flush valve out and cleaning it and fixing it so it doesn’t happen again. It was behind the pretty cover back into bay that I had to remove a lot of other things in order to get access to that valve. It only took me six hours to remove, fix and replace the valve back like it was so for me, waiting even an hour is a cake walk togoingvthrough that again.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #27

A few week ago we were at fort desoto and checked out on a Sunday. The lines were unbelievable. I called the KOA that I was passing on the way home. They had no line they were super friendly and it was only 10 buck. I would do that any time then deal with that circus. Plus I even had time to sit and do a black tank flush. I probably wouldn't have done that if I was in a line.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #28
D W

X6. I'm not about to haul sewage around. Besides, I 've had some of the most interesting conversations with fellow campers in the dump station lines. It's all about leisure time, and not being in a hurry. All in all, I've had to wait longer waiting for tables in restaurants than waiting to dump.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #29

you guys are making me nervous... but what's done is done. so far no smell or any other issues. We leave Monday for a CG that's approx. two hours away, fingers crossed, I'll post how it goes when we get back but I think going forward I'll wait in line.

Cheers
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #30

I do this all the time. Sometimes I boondock, and sometimes it's a campground. When I boondock, the goods will sit in the tank until I get to a campground - most times weeks, not days. Never had an issue and never expect to.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #31

I never get to concerned about it. I used a Class C for a job site trailer for a couple of years, and found the tank emptied better and more completely the fuller it was. Besides that, the extra time for stuff to break down, and sloshing around in the tank helps for a more complete dump.
We always make sure and keep an inch or so of clean water in the bowl. The tanks have a vent, so up the vent is where the fragrance goes, if it’s going anywhere.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #32
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
I never get to concerned about it. I used a Class C for a job site trailer for a couple of years, and found the tank emptied better and more completely the fuller it was. Besides that, the extra time for stuff to break down, and sloshing around in the tank helps for a more complete dump.
We always make sure and keep an inch or so of clean water in the bowl. The tanks have a vent, so up the vent is where the fragrance goes, if it’s going anywhere.
But what goes up always comes down. Law of Physics on this planet.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #33

Always wait my turn and dump black and grey tanks. We use our fiver a lot but do have times that planned trips get cancelled for various reasons. Don’t get in a rush. Bad things always happen when getting in a hurry
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #34
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Personally, I prefer not to drive with half or more in the waste tanks, so in your scenario I would probably have just waited in line. If, for some reason, I was unable to wait then I would dump at home. (Fort DeSoto is down the road from me )Several years ago I had a tap to the sewer installed next to my RV pad. Makes it very handy for routine cleaning, mostly, but also for dumping if necessary.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #35

The biggest downfall on this is traveling with the weight in the tank. I have seen on several occasions where the straps have broken while in transit due to the weight being bounced around. I personally don't think it's an issue with it sitting for a week.
bbevins79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #36

We have used free dump stations along CA rest areas and some low cost dump stations at service stations and truck stops en route to our home.
Coolrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #37

Sometimes I dump and sometimes I don’t, it depends on the circumstances. I use the geo-method in my rig so either way I add 5 gallons of “geo-method solution” prior to traveling. Haven’t had any issues, but I try and be cognizant of weight, if I’m traveling far I really don’t want to be hauling 50 gallons of poop @nearly 8 lbs per gallon.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrvers View Post
We have used free dump stations along CA rest areas and some low cost dump stations at service stations and truck stops en route to our home.
Some of the CA rest stops have closed the dump stations. There's only four of them on I5. There are only 10 for the entire state.
http://www.californiarestareas.com/c...-stations.html
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike968 View Post
Sometimes I dump and sometimes I don’t, it depends on the circumstances. I use the geo-method in my rig so either way I add 5 gallons of “geo-method solution” prior to traveling. Haven’t had any issues, but I try and be cognizant of weight, if I’m traveling far I really don’t want to be hauling 50 gallons of poop @nearly 8 lbs per gallon.
what is the "geo method"??
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #40

I try not to travel with anything in the waste tanks. Only exception would be like pulling the camper back from Florida. Two day trip so I would use the facilities in the camper during the trip.
There is a State park about 2 miles from me and I can just take it over there and use their dump station.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote