Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #1

Question New member, first-time owner, looking for advice!

Hi all,

I hope this is the best place to post this. I am a single mom and just bought a 2014 Forrest River Wildcat Maxx 28RKX. I a have a six-month road trip planned that will begin in the spring. I'm looking for ANY help and advice you all can point me to. Please feel free to pretend I've never even seen a trailer before - and that's about how much I know. I learn fast, but this is very new to me for now. (Yes, I've already considered the possibility that I'm certifiable for jumping into a huge "project" like this, but that's kind of how I roll. )

The trailer is winterized, I have it parked, have access to water, I have a heated hose, and I have a plug (the regular kind, not the big huge weird looking one - just plugging in to a house). I need to move into it for a couple months so I can get accustomed to trailer life for this year.

What do I do first - besides move my stuff in? What advice can you share with this SUPER GREEN new owner?

Thank you all!

Jemma
Jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 PM   #2

Welcome Jemma! Bold steps are taken by remarkable people!

The most sage advice for now is for you to bunker down and spend many hours reading this forum! Search is your friend! Think of a list of questions, write them down, and then search one by one. Those will spawn more questions, and search some more. When you head is spinning and questioning your sanity, step away, sleep on it, and come back and ask away about subjects you are still foggy on!

We are here to help!

Happy future camping!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 AM   #3

Your first few nights will teach you a lot. Try to make it without going into the house except potty and showers. Without a sewer connection the stay will be short. IMHO pretend you are using the trailer facilities and conserve all you can. Besides space you sacrifice the utilities more than anything. You will be surprised what you don't "have" to have to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

When it comes to to de-winterize make sure you sanitize the water lines and fresh water tank. Make sure you read your manuals for this as there should be a bypass valve on the water heater. If you do not turn the valves you will not get hot water and will ruin the water heater element. As Iwannacamp mentioned. driveway camping will get you accustomed to your camper and you will find out what you really need and what you can live without.

Happy camping!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #5

Welcome

You'll want all the same stuff in your camper as you have in your home. The trick is to find the lightweight and compact versions of all these items. Take the time to explore all the nooks and crannies inside and outside of your TT. Turn on, utilize and understand ALL the systems in your rig...making sure that everything functions as designed. If it doesn't, fix it now before you head out for that six month trip. As stated above, use this forum as a resource...lot's of good information to be gleaned. Finally, when it comes time hit the road, keep in mind that the most important lesson to have learned is to keep the right ATTITUDE....it will become the difference between ordeal and adventure on your journey!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on the new unit!
You'll get great advice here all you have to do is ask.in the meantime there's a lot of great threads on here to read and learn from!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #7

Congrats on your 2014 Forrest River Wildcat Maxx 28RKX. Take it slow and easy. Everybody on this forum was new to this camping stuff at one time. Many have learned either by mistakes or experience. Read the manuals for the appliances. As stated above spend several nights in your camper as if you were actually camping. Driving and backing up are things you'll need to learn. Best place to practice backing up might be a school or church parking lot when no activities are going on. There are lots of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here willing to help you with your questions. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of all this stuff quickly.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

Welcome to the forums. Like has been said here many times read and ask questions, there are no dumb questions! None of it is rocket science! Be safe and happy travels.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma View Post
Hi all,

I hope this is the best place to post this. I am a single mom and just bought a 2014 Forrest River Wildcat Maxx 28RKX. I a have a six-month road trip planned that will begin in the spring. I'm looking for ANY help and advice you all can point me to. Please feel free to pretend I've never even seen a trailer before - and that's about how much I know. I learn fast, but this is very new to me for now. (Yes, I've already considered the possibility that I'm certifiable for jumping into a huge "project" like this, but that's kind of how I roll. )

The trailer is winterized, I have it parked, have access to water, I have a heated hose, and I have a plug (the regular kind, not the big huge weird looking one - just plugging in to a house). I need to move into it for a couple months so I can get accustomed to trailer life for this year.

What do I do first - besides move my stuff in? What advice can you share with this SUPER GREEN new owner?

Thank you all!

Jemma

Before departing on your epic journey I would recommend a weekend jaunt with your rig loaded as if you are not returning home for a couple of weeks. This will accomplish several things:
1. Hooking up the trailer to the tow vehicle.
2. Go to a public scale and weigh tow vehicle and trailer to be certain that you are below maximum weight ratings.
3. Become familiar with how your rig tows. Also find an area where you can practice backing and parking.
4. Practice leveling the rig at the campsite.
5. Practice unhooking trailer from tow vehicle.
6. Hook up to shore power and water at campsite. Also, add a few gallons water to freshwater tank and verify that pump works.
7. Add water to black and grey water tanks to practice sewer dumping.

Good luck.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

I recommend reading all the manuals while locating the components on the trailer. This will give you a head start if a problem arises. Be familiar with insurance on the trailer, getting "replacement value" may be the best. When hooking up, never talk to anyone and triple check what you did. Most important: Have fun!
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

Hi Jemma, congrats on your new Wildcat Maxx lots of good advise on this web site , a question for you as you did not say what you were pulling it with and what sort of hitch you were using , I have tried different hitches as many people have and the best bar none has been a Hensly Arrow . they are not cheap but when we were towing units of 30 and 35 feet we never worried about cross-winds or anything passing like semi's etc ,and the truck felt more stable with the trailer on the back and with a rear cam no problems hitching up .
Enjoy it is great fun and lots of people will help .
427creston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

Good Luck and have fun!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #13

If you are using electricity at home for your camper make sure you have the right amperage outlet. It should be 30Amps I would think.
If you don't use the air conditioning a regular outlet should work I believe.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 AM   #14

Congrats Jemma, I'm very excited for you (being i just purchased a Coachmen Freedom Express LE 2015 myself and i get to pick it up in 33 days) and I've been reading many things here. Alot of helpful information. Me personally have made a list of the things i definitely need and have studied on how to use those needs first. Needs like sewage hoses, electrical cords for hooking up (learned that it's a great idea to purchase a surge protector) etc.. Hey congrats again and may you and your kids have great and fun adventures.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #15

Yup,lots of good advice here! ......there are no "Stupid" questions......answers are a different story.....
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #16

I recommend carrying 2 water pressure regulators. They only seem to clog when there is no camping store nearby, and only a few walmarts seem them.

I also carry a portable fire pit with a cover/lid. We rely on a campfire for most of our cooking, and we seem to always be under burn ban down here. Most places will let you still use your pit as long as you have a cover.

I also recommend checking trailer tire pressure every time you leave a campsite. I think it is even more important on double axle trailers.
lowreyfarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #17

Thank you all for the welcome, and for the advice!

I'm searching now, but if someone knows of a thread that will help teach me about the HVAC in a 2014 Forrest River Wildcat Maxx, that would really help me. I'm trying to figure out why the heat only comes out of the vent under the kitchen counter - but none of the others in the trailer.
Jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #18

If your rig doesn't have a built in surge suppressor, buy one ASAP. Use it every time you are hooked to electricity, even at home. It should cost less than $100. I bought mine at Camping World but you can find them online also. Also buy a cordless drill for the jacks if you don't have electric jacks. Another item I love is my crockpot. Nothing like coming home to dinner cooking! I replaced my mattress and that well worth the money spent.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote