Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

New RV defects - pre and post recession

I've seen a bunch of threads here about people having major problems with new components of their new toys. To the RV veterans, was the quality and quality control a lot better before the recession? Has it improved over the last few years?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Great question...subscribing to hear responses

Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

I feel this is a great topic and would really like to hear what everyone thinks about it. Surely someone has an educated opinion on it.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

Just experience. My 2007 Starcraft just started showing rust on the frame and everything is tight. My 2012 Coachmen started rusting before it was a year old. Don't ask me about things that needed to be fixed. Grrrrrrrr...
Coachmen (Viking) customer service? Purr Purr Purr
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Great question...subscribing to hear responses
Me too. It did seem as a kid my dad never had to fix our TT's as much as we do today, or maybe we just simply got lucky

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Several Good RV Mfg. went out during that period,one that really stands out was Sunline. They were very well made,heavy by todays standards,but (They Went Out)! The reason Warren B invested in F/R was to (Make $$)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

I have a 2010 Rockwood Mini Lite. No complaints. It has been problem free.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #8

I don't see any difference in quality in my 2011 Flagstaff fiver and a 1997 fleetwood Mallard TT I owned.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Several Good RV Mfg. went out during that period,one that really stands out was Sunline. They were very well made,heavy by todays standards,but (They Went Out)! The reason Warren B invested in F/R was to (Make $$)! Youroo!!
We had quite a few Sunlines...maybe that's why I never remember my Dad doing many repairs!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

We just upgraded from a '96 Jayco. It was all original, and everything still worked. I haven't had any issues out of my Salem yet, and I am hoping it holds up as well.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #11

I don't know if you are just talking FR or not. However, we had two fivers prior to our Georgetown, both different manufactures. The first one was an 07 the main complaint was the adhesive they use on the cabinet covering, it shrank bad, all the decals on the outside came off too. The second fiver was a 12 we had problems from day one, the roof had to be replaced because it was not sealed right, the water system was messed up, jack issues, and a host of other things. I saw a big difference in quality between the two with the first one being much better, and the first one was a more lower end (cost wise) then the second fiver and it was more higher end. That being said I must say that I have had very minor issues with my Georgetown we are now happy campers

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Actually, Buffet is pretty much a hands-off investor. He usually buys businesses that are profitable and helps them grow.
Peter Liegl is the one who started swooping up companies at great discounts in '96. I have seen some unsavory comments about him from people who "know" of him. I take all with a grain of salt, but I also think of the character that Richard Gere played in "Pretty Woman."

Just as CW has taken over dealerships, FR has become the Godzilla of RV's, for better or worse. But it does seem that everything is made cheaper, lighter, and to maximize profit.
Are there folks that are willing to pay for quality? Yes, but they usually aren't looking at Pop-ups, Hybrids, or stick and tin TTs.
Spacecraft, New Horizons, Continental, DRV, Newell, and many others are doing just fine despite their products being into the six-figures! (Newell are in the seven-figures, even used)
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
Me too. It did seem as a kid my dad never had to fix our TT's as much as we do today, or maybe we just simply got lucky
Agreed. We had several RV's when I was a kid - much less maintenance - but, they were smaller, much heavier, and much simpler. No microwave, stereo, tv, slideouts, power awning...

Seems like RV's have gone the way of a lot things - lighter, cheaper (if you adjust for inflation), and not nearly as durable. Appliances stick out as being in the same category. All of our appliances were 15-20 years old (same age as the house) and started to have issues and parts & service can be more than a new one. Bought upper end washer and dishwasher - shiny stainless steel on the outside, both full of plastic parts, energy star approved - which just means they dont use enough water to actually clean anything. Dish washer doesn't actually dry the dishes. They weigh half what the old ones did, and have lots of bells and whistles, but I can't imagine any of them are going to last 20+ years like the old ones.

Seems to be the way of the manufacturing world - except the auto industry. Competition there seems to be making the products better.

Otherwise, its lighter, cheaper - replace it rather than repair it.

I think the recession weeded out some financally weaker players and drove consolidation (in RV's and other industries) but I think the decline in durability was already going on. And in large part, its driven by buyers that shop more on price and "bells and whistles" than on quality.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #14

We owned 12 new RV's, many before as well as after the recession. I see no difference and all four ( 2 prior, 2 post recession)of our diesel motorhomes took a year or so to get totally sorted out! Kinda a sad commentary but as they say--"it is what it is"!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Agreed. We had several RV's when I was a kid - much less maintenance - but, they were smaller, much heavier, and much simpler. No microwave, stereo, tv, slideouts, power awning.
Exactly what I was going to post regarding the "didn't work on them as much back then".

We encountered a local elderly gentleman yesterday when we were gassing up to head to S'port. He was interested in OC's awning poles.

He previously owned a "Newmar". He showed us pics of it on his cell phone. It was a 1990 5th wheel that he paid $78,000.00 for new. He bragged that it was 40' long and the interior was SOLID oak, no paneling, no veneer, built like a rock (and probably as heavy as a rock that size ).

Unfortunately a storm came through and dropped three trees on it. He claimed that had that not happened he'd still be towing it. He ended up selling it for scrap for $1,500.00 to a guy who is most likely going to use it for a hunting camp. He'd cancelled the insurance on it long ago "since it was paid for", so there was no ins. settlement.

He recently bought a new Jayco 5er and isn't nearly as happy with it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

Definitely no where near the same today as it was. Today, the only thing I can think to describe the modern RV, is they are "throw away" RVs. They are not built to last. You'll see some 20-30 year old MH's or trailers still on the road, having been remodeled twice and still holding together. Take a modern RV, and let's take a look at it in 20 years or so. Scrap heap, if it lasts half of that. I second what youroo said. A lot of the "good" manufacturers are gone. All the brands I would buy today, are gone. Carriage / Mobile Scout (the older ones) being just a few.

Why should they build them to last a lifetime, that doesn't make money. The general consensus on this forum and in the world today, is people will buy and trade every couple of years. I'm not exempt from that. We've had a class A, class C and this present fiver all since January 2012. 7 total RVs since 2003. So why should they be built to last. Looking back, I know for a fact if I'd kept my pre-recession Mobile Scout, it'd still be in tip top shape.

Now, if you baby your new RV, take extremely good care of it, wax it, clean it, store it, never tow it down terrible roads etc. etc., you stand a chance of it possibly lasting a while. But, it still won't compare to the older ones.

I won't bore anybody with it, but I could post pictures of same manufacturer, different years, and it's obvious where they got cheap. Box frame to I-beam, thick fiberglass to thin, front fiberglass caps to filon, 1" thick slide fascias to 1/2" thick or less. Solid wood to laminate. I can go on and on.

I do like RV's, obviously, and I'll continue to buy them, maybe, but the way things are, we're still leaning towards building our own, due to the "throw away" style of today.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Site Team

As long as we the consumer continue to buy them, Im sure they the manufacture will continue making them with the same high quality we see today

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Pretty much sums it up. You buy one, build one, or don't go RVing. I'm shocked at the rate they are bought / sold / traded, somebody hasn't come up with a lease program yet.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I'm shocked at the rate they are bought / sold / traded, somebody hasn't come up with a lease program yet.
Or maybe its not so shocking - with a car, the lease company has a pretty good idea what the resale value is in 24 or 26 months, and the thing should be in good shape since its under factory warranty the whole time.

Can you imagine the risk / depreciation hit a lease company would take on 2-3 year old rv? Although, it does seem like dealers put pretty high asking prices on used units on their lots. And we looked at motorhome rentals a couple years ago - they were crazy high too.

Never thought about it before, but it is pretty interesting (telling, maybe?) that nobody leases them.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote