Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 09:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Most generator manufacturers have special jets that must be used above certain altitudes. Consult the manual or the manufactures website for high-altitude requirements.

Bob
Those special high altitude jets are merely smaller jets to reduce fuel flow for the lower oxygen content at altitude.

Some engines may run rich and either smoke, "flubber", or both when run under load at higher altitude.

The smaller jets just adjust for the overly rich condition but don't restore power lost due ti altitude.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Welcome from SoCal!

Whatever brand you get, remember to add a fuel stabilizer and run the generator under load for about ½ hour each month. DAMHIKT

I’ll be running it on propane so no stabilizer needed
Thanks
OldCarBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...s%2C138&sr=8-3spend the extra money and get one with remote start

Plus get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Adapter-G...756QF5WL&psc=1

I’ve got the 4500 champion. It’s smooth, quiet and starts with manual battery ignition or a rope.
Richard Dietzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #44
Pseudonym

Another vote for the Predator 3500. It has plenty of juice to power a 30a trailer even with a 15k BTU a/c unit. You can even buy an adapter kit to convert it to dual fuel. I wouldn't buy a different genny if I had to buy another.
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #45

I decided on using a Microair Easystart 364 and a Wen 2250. A little quieter and lighter, hope I made the right decision! $700 complete
ScarlettD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #46
Pseudonym

With the 2250 just be sure to shut off any electrical appliances when you’re running your ac. Or vice versa shutting off your ac to run the microwave/water heater/hair dryer etc
BrandonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #47

I think most of the current generators are usually reliable with proper care and maintenance. We added a Predator 3500 to the LQ horse trailer which usually only needs portable power 3-4 times a year. We did find out it was subject to shutting down when used in temperatures 95 degrees or more. We were aware of that problem before purchasing but cheap was the objective. However the solution of removing the side covers allows the generator to run cool enough even in 100+ temperatures.

For the sale price of under $800 or so I’ll be satisfied if it lasts five years. I’ve been using a 1999 Honda eu9 since new and it’s still going strong after 23 years. Use it when I have to power a hand saw doing fence work where an extension cord won’t reach.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
I looked into a SoftStartRV device, but using one would void my AC units warranty.
Only if they see the device attached. They're easy to remove and do not require any original equipment destruction to install or uninstall. Regardless with the generators you're looking at you won't need a soft start.

WEN has a gas-only inverter gen comparable to those you're considering. $650 with free shipping to your home using the $50 off code shown on the website.

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen...-fuel-shut-off
PHISHN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #49

My new Firman arrived last night.
I unpacked it and the weight was not to bad to pick up or carry through the garage by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66848491644__2D0D2205-E9C0-4011-9CBC-CFA72FA21086.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	269856  
Old 03-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
My new Firman arrived last night.
I unpacked it and the weight was not to bad to pick up or carry through the garage by myself.
Can’t beat the current Costco price on that model. It’s cheaper than I paid for my 2 Firman 2000w generators when they were on sale at $380 ea. I am very happy with Firman, and they have great customer service. They sent me the high altitude jets at no cost, though I haven’t found I’ve needed them at 5-6000’ elevation yet.
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:21 PM   #51
rfifer

I had a 3400 watt dual fuel several years ago. It handled most tasks well for supplying power to the trailer. But it was a thirsty little beast when it came to propane. I now have a 3500 watt Champion (gas only) that gives me 29 amps out and does very well. I put it in the bed of my pickup for long trips to have power and AC when we do a rest stop. The only limitation I found was that I cannot run the AC and the water heater at the same time. So, I turn the water heater breaker off and enjoy the cool air.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
I had a 3400 watt dual fuel several years ago. It handled most tasks well for supplying power to the trailer. But it was a thirsty little beast when it came to propane. I now have a 3500 watt Champion (gas only) that gives me 29 amps out and does very well. I put it in the bed of my pickup for long trips to have power and AC when we do a rest stop. The only limitation I found was that I cannot run the AC and the water heater at the same time. So, I turn the water heater breaker off and enjoy the cool air.
Water heater on generator???

I prefer to use the propane mode on my water heater when boondocking.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Some of the time yes but I turn my water heater on Ele when A/C isn't a high demand and charging batteries making use of extra watts. Kind of a 50-50 thing. Summer time it is a no. You just need to know what you needs and gen will do.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
Some of the time yes but I turn my water heater on Ele when A/C isn't a high demand and charging batteries making use of extra watts. Kind of a 50-50 thing. Summer time it is a no. You just need to know what you needs and gen will do.
I understand but in reality there is no such thing as extra watts. They have to be generated by extra gasoline consumption in the generator.

Propane burned in a water heater is a lot more efficient than burning gasoline, or propane for that matter, in a generator where the conversion efficiency is low (around 39%) to begin with.

Standard RV water heaters are almost twice as efficient and tankless heaters are 88% plus for efficiency.

Now if I had a large solar array I'd probably do what you are doing with it, switching the heater on and using that electricity to heat the water with no gasoline or propane.

A 1500w solar array could do the job after batteries are charged fairly easy.

Everyone will chose for themselves, just pointing out the differences.

It's all good as long as you don't end up with a cold shower

Old 03-11-2022, 10:49 PM   #55
rfifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I tried using the water heater on the generator only one time and switched it to propane. Any more, even when I have a full hook-up at a campsite, I'll use propane and not electricity to heat the water. It doesn't seem to use that much propane and become a full-time personal preference.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
I tried using the water heater on the generator only one time and switched it to propane. Any more, even when I have a full hook-up at a campsite, I'll use propane and not electricity to heat the water. It doesn't seem to use that much propane and become a full-time personal preference.
Charging batteries and not using A/C my gen will run Ele water heater not using that little bit of propane when wife washes dishes taking showers we run off propane it most likely doesn't save me much propane but I feel good about it. LOL. running gen for 4 to 5 hours charging batts some water can be heated.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #57

Well I received my Wen 2250 generator and could not be happier! It seems really well built, solid, quiet and started on the second pull after gas and oil. For $385 with free shipping I don't see how it can be beat!
https://wenproducts.com/collections/...-fuel-shut-off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wen.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	270467  
ScarlettD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #58

That WEN looks like a nice unit.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:51 PM   #59

I see a lot of references to the Honda EU2000 units, the newer units are 2200 watts. I have the “regular” one and the “companion” which has a 30a plug. With one running I can run the heat, TV, fridge (12v) and lights. Running them together, I can run one AC unit and the microwave if I need it. Some of HF units look ok but I’ve been a Honda fan for a long time…costs a few bucks more but never fails. I like the portability of these little units! Maybe I’ll try one of the HF units if they prove to have long term reliability.
Mr Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator