Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 10:36 PM   #1

New to

Hi everyone! We are fairly new to RVing and have a few questions to ask as newbies. We have a 2016 Windjammer 3006wk and love it. Here are a few questions

1. Our furnace seems to run in short bursts when trying to get up to a temp. I assume this is to give time for the air to travel and warm the unit, is this true or are we having issues? For example it may fire up 3-4 times over a 30 min period to get up a degree or 2.

2. How do people find batteries. We just put in 2 new 6 volts and after 2 days and running the Honda Eu2000 on eco 2 hrs a night, we were getting the low voltage beep from the detector inside. With all LED seems strange but maybe the furnace running all night kills them?

3. Anyone get larger than 20lb propane into the unit? Seems like tiny bottles for this large trailer.

Thanks everyone!
Jase
JaseVernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:01 PM   #2

Furnace should not cycle that much, I don't think. I have read that if your vents are not clear, it may not move enough air out of the lines and cause the heater to shut the overheat switch off. Once it cools enough it will start again. Make sure vent are clear, and if you can, check to make sure none of the ducting is collapsed, or crimped. Also make sure your cold air intake is clear. It is all about move the proper amount of air into and then out of the system.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

On your batteries, are you sure your battery cutoff switch is allowing the current to get to the batteries? If the switch is off, then the convertor can't send the power to the batteries to charge them.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseVernon View Post
Hi everyone! We are fairly new to RVing and have a few questions to ask as newbies. We have a 2016 Windjammer 3006wk and love it. Here are a few questions

1. Our furnace seems to run in short bursts when trying to get up to a temp. I assume this is to give time for the air to travel and warm the unit, is this true or are we having issues? For example it may fire up 3-4 times over a 30 min period to get up a degree or 2.

2. How do people find batteries. We just put in 2 new 6 volts and after 2 days and running the Honda Eu2000 on eco 2 hrs a night, we were getting the low voltage beep from the detector inside. With all LED seems strange but maybe the furnace running all night kills them?

3. Anyone get larger than 20lb propane into the unit? Seems like tiny bottles for this large trailer.

Thanks everyone!

Jase
It sounds like you have no shore power and are strictly on 12v battery power.
The furnace is the biggest 12v power hog, in your TT. So if you're running it all night, then yes, the batteries will be down after a couple of nights.
And I'm not aware that bigger propane tanks can fit on a V-nose TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
Furnace should not cycle that much, I don't think. I have read that if your vents are not clear, it may not move enough air out of the lines and cause the heater to shut the overheat switch off. Once it cools enough it will start again. Make sure vent are clear, and if you can, check to make sure none of the ducting is collapsed, or crimped. Also make sure your cold air intake is clear. It is all about move the proper amount of air into and then out of the system.
Thank you! Any chance you know where to look for those lines? Lol I will dig into it through Google as well but just in case you know already!
Old 06-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #6

And Thank you to the others too, yes likely the batteries are also draining because the cycling of the furnace. As the fan stays on in-between as well
Old 06-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #7

I just timed it....2 min run on the furnace then 1min 40sec off and continues like that.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
Site Team

Sounds like the furnace is cycling off on hi-limit. Or the control board is bad.

Will it run continuously when running the generator, or does it do the same thing?

You need to inspect the ducts to make sure they're not blocked and that all the registers are not blocked, even the small ones in the bathroom, etc..
Old 06-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaseVernon View Post
I just timed it....2 min run on the furnace then 1min 40sec off and continues like that.

You furnace is cycling on high limit; or possible poor positioning of the thermostat detecting the hot air flow from the discharge vents. Make sure all vents are open +/or not blocked.
Batteries will run low with the furnace running all night. A typical furnace draws 10amps. If the larger 30# or 40# bottles fit replace the 20#ers. Keep in mind your weights increase.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 PM   #10

We have a 2016 Windjammer. Different floorplan ( 3029W ). It came with two 30 gallon propane tanks.

Found this old sales video. Shows your model with 30 lb tanks.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #11

Thank you everyone! We are going to try and fit the 30's into the front, we will just need a better tie down.

For the furnace, it does it even plugged in. Checked and no vents are blocked. Everything looks good.

We are getting very poor air movement though, I think. Not sure how hard the air should come out of the Vents. The last trailer we had it seemed to move more air.

Going to try and test the limit switch etc today.

Jase
Old 06-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #12

When we updated tanks to larger size a longer 3/8” all thread rod was needed.

Did you ever have the gas Psi checked?
Old 06-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #13

Try using the generator in normal mode not eco mode!

Check to also see if the blower wheel is clean.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #14

Thanks everyone, I am definitely upgrading the propane tanks. I test fit them this weekend, but I am going to look for a better fastening system other than the threaded bar as they are such a pain. Also with the Vnose I cannot see the gauge.

As far as the furnace goes, if I bypass the high level switch it works fine, also when I take the back cover off to expose the limit switch when the blower kicks on its moving a ton of air. So I am going to assume it is blowing well. My multimeter battery is dead, and it is some strange battery, so I am just going to replace the limit switch since it is cheap, and see what happens.

thanks!
Jase
Old 06-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #15

Hi everyone,

I changed the limit switch, and still not working. Blower seems good...anything else I can look at before I pull i out? thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 01:34 AM   #16

Years ago I had a camper that did this same thing cycle on/off:
Dealer added 2 more discharge ducts; same problem.
DC voltage check near furnace if this is a dc unit: 10.5 v min.
If all ductwork/blower wheel is clean and not crushed.
Gas PSI check : inches of wc
Confirm the heat exchanger is not blocked.
Control board?
Blower motor amp draw
Dealer was going to derate the furnace and put a smaller gas orifice in it.
I stated as long as the heater mfg authorized this in writing!
A bandaid approach!
It should work as designed. Were all of the correct parts used during assembly/who knows without a teardown....
Maybe you just need to pull it if problem can not be determined and bench check it.
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #17

Here’s the brochure for the 2016 Windjammers. It shows that all Windjammers came with two 30# propane bottles.

https://forestriverinc.com/brochures...rkbrochure.pdf

Bruce
Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #18

I've already replaced the lp reg on my 2016 V. It came with 2 X 30# tanks
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote