Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

new to the camper scene and many questions

Hello I purchased a used 26' pull behind and when winterizing it I discovered it had water damage in the rear storage area. I can find no evidence of a leak in the main living quarters only in this storage area. The fresh water tank and plumbing is in this area but I do not suspect that as the problem, the fresh water tank was 3/4 full when I purchased the camper and still at that mark when done at the end of the camping season as I used the camp site water hook on camp trips. It appears as though it has been going on for awhile, I found it when I put the hitch in the storage area and it broke thru the vinyl flooring that is when I saw the wet plywood. I will get some pics and post but thought maybe someone out there has ran in to this before and could lead me in the right direction on where to start my looking.

I should also add that this area was also wet during the winter when I checked on it, right now I have it somewhat dry as the weather has started to get nice I have had the 2 storage access doors open to help dry it out.

I have several "camper" questions but this is by far the most important that I need to get addressed.

Thanks In advance.
rex316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

Rex316, sorry to hear of the problems with your wet trailer floor. Assuming the seal around the door to the storage compartment isn't leaking, here's a possible scenario. You said the fresh water tank is back there, so I assume the fill for the F/W tank is in that area, as well. You also said the tank was 3/4 full when you bought the trailer, and was still 3/4 full when you winterized. How do you know it wasn't 100% full and your F/W tank gauge is off a bit? Here's what I'm getting at...and I had this problem with mine, too. The check valve in the freshwater pump goes bad and/or gets stuck open. When you hook up to campground water, it fills your lines AND back-fills your tank. (Normally, the check valve prevents this from happening.) So, your F/W tank fills up, and overflows through a couple of small vent holes in the filler tube, and runs into the trailer...in my case, into the bedroom under the wardrobe closet, and maybe in your case, into that compartment. Fresh water tank stays full, everything appears to be working, and compartment floor remains water-soaked all summer long.

Here's one way to check it, after you de-winterize. Make sure the freshwater tank is completely empty. Hook up to campground water and wait aa couple of hours, then open the drain on your fresh water tank and see if you have water in there. If so, you know it has to be back-filling through the pump. Once you determine that, either re-build the pump or replace it, and that will prevent the F/W tank from backfilling to overflow when you are hooked to campground water.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Team

it would help if you posted year/make/model of trailer, instead of "26' pull behind".

that way owners of the same model could be of more help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

bikendan, did you move? Didn't you used to be in northern California?

(We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread )
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Since you say the fresh water tank had water in it when you dewinterized that means it wasn't really winterized. The fresh water tank should have been drained to winterize. You don't say if the tank was drained before winterizing. You may have freeze/thaw leak damage. Check for split fittings or tubing or even the tank for freeze damage.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Since you say the fresh water tank had water in it when you dewinterized that means it wasn't really winterized. The fresh water tank should have been drained to winterize. You don't say if the tank was drained before winterizing. You may have freeze/thaw leak damage. Check for split fittings or tubing or even the tank for freeze damage.
Had water in it when he finished camping, not all winter.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
bikendan, did you move? Didn't you used to be in northern California?

(We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread )
yea, we retired and move out of Commiefornia to Washington State.
the DW's family is here and we have owned 5 acres here for 8 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #8

I would drain freshwater tank for starters and never fill it while traveling nor in CG where I had water hookup. Hard on supports and tank to be full while bouncing down the highway. Holes and other stuff start to wear and get thinned out.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yea, we retired and move out of Commiefornia to Washington State.
the DW's family is here and we have owned 5 acres here for 8 years.
"Commiefornia" I love it. Smart move since everything there causes cancer, gets flattened by an earth quake, or burns up in a fire. Other than that probably a great place to live.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #10

I had that problem on a TT we had but also the back wall was soft. Found that water was coming in thru the tail lights. Did not have any damage inside living space just in storage area.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper