RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #1

Newbe question

Greetings, I purchased a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3050S

I donít have all the required plugs yet for hookup to an electrical drop box so Iím using our generator to charge my batteries. After several hours the status light registered a full charge. I shut down satisfied I did good. The next day I entered the RV and the batteries were dead. Next I started the rig, got the generator to fire up and Iím charging again.

Prior to cranking the rig I heard a high pitch squeal from my hot water tank area. I thought to myself every thing was charged and turned off prior to calling it a day but after investigation found the hot water rocker switch was left on. So to wrap up my question, can the power on switch to the heater alone cause the The batteries to die? Maybe what I heard was the hot water heater running off battery power maybe? Thanks
Olderb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #2

Leaving the water heater on, as well as the other things that are 'parasitic drains' can drain the battery overnight.
Which batteries are you draining - chassis or house batteries? Unfortunately, the only way to stop draining the house batteries is to put a disconnect switch directly on the batteries themselves.
It's also possible that the batteries have not been charged properly in the past and have lost their ability to retain a charge.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderb4u View Post
Greetings, I purchased a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3050S

I donít have all the required plugs yet for hookup to an electrical drop box so Iím using our generator to charge my batteries. After several hours the status light registered a full charge. I shut down satisfied I did good. The next day I entered the RV and the batteries were dead. Next I started the rig, got the generator to fire up and Iím charging again.

Prior to cranking the rig I heard a high pitch squeal from my hot water tank area. I thought to myself every thing was charged and turned off prior to calling it a day but after investigation found the hot water rocker switch was left on. So to wrap up my question, can the power on switch to the heater alone cause the The batteries to die? Maybe what I heard was the hot water heater running off battery power maybe? Thanks
Thanks for your knowledge and explanation. Makes sense to me. I didn’t realize that by leaving the hot water switch on could/ would kill my house batteries. I also turned off the propane tank shut off valve as well. When we purchased this we did have it inspected and in passed but the seller wasn’t helpful in giving me a down and dirty system briefing. I’m sure this will not be my first mistake and through reading instruction booklet will help me understand how it all works. Thanks again

J
Old 10-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #4

Well, to be honest, the water heater switch alone probably won't drain the battery. When you left the switch on, the electronic ignition for the water heater continued to light the hot water heater and how often that happened depended on the temp. Things like the propane detector, radio indicator lights also continue to drain the battery. I'd be more of something else being left on or the batteries not holding a charge.
That's why many put a battery disconnect switch on the batteries or disconnect the negative cable.
You can try charging the batteries, disconnecting the negative cable and then checking the batteries the next day. That should give you an indication if it's the coach or the batteries.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Well, to be honest, the water heater switch alone probably won't drain the battery. When you left the switch on, the electronic ignition for the water heater continued to light the hot water heater and how often that happened depended on the temp. Things like the propane detector, radio indicator lights also continue to drain the battery. I'd be more of something else being left on or the batteries not holding a charge.
That's why many put a battery disconnect switch on the batteries or disconnect the negative cable.
You can try charging the batteries, disconnecting the negative cable and then checking the batteries the next day. That should give you an indication if it's the coach or the batteries.
Well it passed our inspection but I’m finding out that doesn’t really mean much at all. I will tell you that the generator ran and (by indication lights) showed a full battery bank charge. I also heard the hot water tank cooking this morning with no electric source other then batteries since the hot water switch was left on and the indicator light was faint when I looked at it. I’m just trying to troubleshoot with my common sense. The only constant so far is the switch was left on and the batteries were dead.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
The only constant so far is the switch was left on and the batteries were dead.
So if you charge the batteries again and turn off all the electric (lights, water heater, etc.) and you have a charged battery in the am., you've probably found the problem. Those indicator lights may not indicate what you think. You need a volt meter to tell if they are truly charged.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #7

My 2015 sunseeker 3170DS has a disconnect switch on the lower panel just left of the entry door. I use it all the time unless actually out RVing. I also ensure all switches are off when parked or in storage.

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Ladaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

I have a volt ohms meter in my arsenal. My two 12 volt batteries in series should indicate 24 volts Correct? I’ll look for that with my volt meter and let you know what I have. Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

The batteries are not in series; they are in parallel, so you should treat the pair as if they are a 12 volt set in terms of voltage measurements. If they are wired in series and you read 24 volts, you have a big problem. Report back on your actual voltage readings. The panel voltage indicator lights will probably be inaccurate, and not useful for troubleshooting, so definitely use the multimeter. Your Sunseeker should already have a battery disconnect switch but it doesn't necessarily disconnect all loads.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I have a volt ohms meter in my arsenal. My two 12 volt batteries in series should indicate 24 volts Correct? Iíll look for that with my volt meter and let you know what I have. Thanks
No!
Your two 12v batteries are wired in PARALLEL and will measure at 12v. (nominal)

Also, if you are depending on the control panel indicator lights to tell you battery state of charge with (or without) the generator running you aren't doing yourself any favors.

With the generator running, you are seeing converter output voltage and with the generator off the indicator lights are not accurate enough to show proper state of charge.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
No!
Your two 12v batteries are wired in PARALLEL and will measure at 12v. (nominal)

Also, if you are depending on the control panel indicator lights to tell you battery state of charge with (or without) the generator running you aren't doing yourself any favors.

With the generator running, you are seeing converter output voltage and with the generator off the indicator lights are not accurate enough to show proper state of charge.
13 volts DC on each battery is what I’m reading. I ensured I ran the generator to bring them up to full charge, also double checked all switches , fans etc. the only item that is on is the Time display my coach sound system. I also wanted to thank you for reminding me the difference between series and parallel circuits. I had a brain cramp. Anyway what do you think? Sorry I haven’t figured out the reply to all yet so forgive my redundancy
Old 10-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Probably closer to 12.77 at full charge. Set your meter to show the decimals

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #13

All you ever wanted to know about RV electricity: https://www.youtube.com/c/RVelectricity/videos. He can be a little long winded at times, but makes it easy to understand.

Mask it or Casket?
What is in your future?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #14

A reading of 13 volts is of no meaning!

Batteries at 12.0 volts Are 50% depleted. 12.6 or a little more is full charged.

It generally takes more than 24 hours to fully charge your batteries with the converter. Unlikely with a generator in hours.

To read voltage you have to let the batteries sit off charger several hours to get the non residual charge.

Four lights in the control panel means the charger Is on. One light means the batteries are doa. Lord knows what 2 or 3 leds means. You need a battery monitor. Modern rvís are serious battery users. Got to have information. You are flying while blind. Likely your batteries have been abused.

I would check battery water level if you can. Charge for 48 hours using the converter.

Install a monitor. You might be swell. Might need batteries.

Find out how much battery you have. Amps. We have 430.

Modern rvís are getting awfully complicated. Parasitic loads grow every year. Battery monitors should come with rvís.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #15

Good morning everyone who assisted me in figuring this electrical issue out. Happily to report its working as it should. Batteries held charge thanks to everyone help and to the gentleman (s) who mentioned the Battery disconnect, thanks! That, I think was the lynchpin right there. The previous owner told me that was to be used only if placing the unit in long term storage. However I can see that parasitic drag can be an issue. I’ll invest in a quality battery tender.

Now on to flushing the hot water tank. Any step by step instructions out there? I have my Atwood user manual but some areas are vague in the description. In order to flush I have 3 water hose ports. 1. City water, 2. Holding tank water, and the last one has me stumped. It says on the placard “caution” don’t use the tank flush valve unless the fullway termination valve is in the open position. Not sure I understand this one. FYI my model is a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3050s. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Now on to flushing the hot water tank. Any step by step instructions out there? I have my Atwood user manual but some areas are vague in the description. In order to flush I have 3 water hose ports. 1. City water, 2. Holding tank water, and the last one has me stumped. It says on the placard ďcautionĒ donít use the tank flush valve unless the fullway termination valve is in the open position. Not sure I understand this one. FYI my model is a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3050s. Thanks!

it means that you should not put water into the black tank thru the black flush valve (ie doing a black tank rinse) without opening the black tank dump valve.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Good morning everyone who assisted me in figuring this electrical issue out. Happily to report its working as it should. Batteries held charge thanks to everyone help and to the gentleman (s) who mentioned the Battery disconnect, thanks! That, I think was the lynchpin right there. The previous owner told me that was to be used only if placing the unit in long term storage. However I can see that parasitic drag can be an issue. Iíll invest in a quality battery tender.

Now on to flushing the hot water tank. Any step by step instructions out there? I have my Atwood user manual but some areas are vague in the description. In order to flush I have 3 water hose ports. 1. City water, 2. Holding tank water, and the last one has me stumped. It says on the placard ďcautionĒ donít use the tank flush valve unless the fullway termination valve is in the open position. Not sure I understand this one. FYI my model is a 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3050s. Thanks!
The last one is the black tank flush. Do not use the same hose you use for city water. The termination valve is the dump valve. It is wise to have the dump valve open when using the tank flush to clean the black tank. You don't want to find out what happens if you are flushing the tank with the dump valve closed then get side tracked.

You can either buy or make your own device to flush out your water heater. It is nothing more than a smaller diameter hose or tube with a shut-off valve that fits in the drain plug hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH Flush Tool.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	241457  
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
it means that you should not put water into the black tank thru the black flush valve (ie doing a black tank rinse) without opening the black tank dump valve.
So this hose port is only used for flushing the black tank only if I’m reading your response correctly, and the black tank lever pulled to open?
Old 10-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #19

that is correct.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The last one is the black tank flush. Do not use the same hose you use for city water. The termination valve is the dump valve. It is wise to have the dump valve open when using the tank flush to clean the black tank. You don't want to find out what happens if you are flushing the tank with the dump valve closed then get side tracked.

You can either buy or make your own device to flush out your water heater. It is nothing more than a smaller diameter hose or tube with a shut-off valve that fits in the drain plug hole.
I’d like to introduce some vinegar to help clean mineral deposits. Any advice?