Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #1

Newbie needs help! with water heater and other

We just bought and are living in a 22 Cedar Creek Cottage. The walk through they gave us before delivery was minimal and not much help. Figured out most on my own, on you tube and through forums here but I am still stuck on a couple of things. We have gotten 3 hot showers and thats it. It seems like the water heater (fully electric) only works when it wants to. Have tried checking breakers, reset on tank, bypass. Its brand spankin new so I shouldnt have to be replacing things already should I? The tank was full and hot the first time we used it. After the first couple of showers it seemed like it didn't want to work. About a week later we got 1 more hot shower out of it and a couple of luke warm ones and thats it. Help! Oh... and can anyone explain what the set up is in front of the water heater. I can't remember if they even touched on it during the walk through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater cubby.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	281479  
77kbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #2

Bet you money the lower element is not working. Or the bottom one is off.

Only having a top element acts that way. Should provide a second shower after an hour.

Loose wire or something backwards.

Be careful. Hot wires everywhere when the cover comes off.

Five minutes with a voltmeter? Get a wiring diagram. Easy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #3

Now a days all kinds of stuff happens.

I assume you have. 120 volts to the water heater. Most water heaters are 220 however!

Read the wattage on the side of the heater. And see if you have. 220. Which I do not know. Rv’s do not.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #4

The stuff in front of your water heater look like hydrylics for your slides and levelers.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #5

May have burned out the element. Be sure the water is turned on to supply the W/H from park or pump. Element will burn out in the blink of an eye if tank is dry.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #6

You've got a 22 and it's probably still under warranty. Contact your dealer and see if they'll send out a mobile mechanic to check it out.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you give us a better photo of the lower water connections to your water heater. Looking at the photo, it "appears" the bypass valve in the blue PEX line is in the incorrect position but we need to see the lower cold inlet to be sure how your tank is plumbed.

The stuff in front of the water heater is the hydraulic pump and controls for your slides/levelers. The three black knobs allow you to put each slide in/out individually by turning the knob(s) and then running the pump.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77kbrady View Post
We just bought and are living in a 22 Cedar Creek Cottage. The walk through they gave us before delivery was minimal and not much help. Figured out most on my own, on you tube and through forums here but I am still stuck on a couple of things. We have gotten 3 hot showers and thats it. It seems like the water heater (fully electric) only works when it wants to. Have tried checking breakers, reset on tank, bypass. Its brand spankin new so I shouldnt have to be replacing things already should I? The tank was full and hot the first time we used it. After the first couple of showers it seemed like it didn't want to work. About a week later we got 1 more hot shower out of it and a couple of luke warm ones and thats it. Help! Oh... and can anyone explain what the set up is in front of the water heater. I can't remember if they even touched on it during the walk through.
Can you take and post more closer pictures of the water heater plumbing ?
from the pictures i can only see the hot out but not the cold in . is that a tee up where the pex turns from red to blue ?

This is a 120 electric water heater guess 19 gallons . normally a cold inlet on the bottom with the hot out on the top like in the picture . there is only 1 element in this water heater . there is a thermostat under the panel on the right that can be increased or decreased .

Still the plumbing doesn't look right but can't tell in the pictures which is why i requested more pictures .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #9

This is likely the same setup except in post #1 the hot and cold legs are in front of the water heater, and in this photo the hot and cold legs run behind the water heater:

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	281500

My vote is a faulty thermostat or heating element.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
This is likely the same setup except in post #1 the hot and cold legs are in front of the water heater, and in this photo the hot and cold legs run behind the water heater:

Attachment 281500

My vote is a faulty thermostat or heating element.

Good picture shows what could not be seen . my guess valves wrong sine he seem to get hot or warm water . but could be T-stat .
Normally the cold is below the hot outlet but can not see it in his picture
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags