Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

No dc power when unplugged

I know this has probably been covered in the past, but I couldn't find it.

I have a 2010 northridge 5th wheel. I have 2 batteries 125 vmax tanks. They are currently at 12.8v. When I am plugged in to shore power, everything works. When I unplug from shore power, I Don't have any 12v power.

We replaced the converter recently. I think the batteries should be higher than 12.8, but they are not dead.

Where do I start looking?
If the converter is dead again, wouldn't the battery at least run the lights?

Please help. Have a trip planned for Sunday. We will be plugged into shore power, but I still like my battery backup.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #2

A good place to start is a pull the face off of your AC/DC panel and check to see if you have 12V coming in to your panel. Not the converter. Derp. The converter plays no part in 12v only electric.

This may be kind of stupid, but something to ensure is to make sure the battery on/off switch that is installed by the factory is actually functioning correctly. I don't know where that is on your model, but you may THINK it is turned on but perhaps it is still off. Again, use a multimeter to test the voltage.

I am assuming you checked all the 12V fuses in the panel as well.
BitReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitReaver View Post
A good place to start is a pull the face off of your AC/DC panel and check to see if you have 12V coming in to your converter. Assuming of course your converter is in the panel. If not trace the 12V wires from the panel to find your converter. If there is voltage coming in but not FROM the converter than that is your culprit.

This may be kind of stupid, but something to ensure is to make sure the battery on/off switch that is installed by the factory is actually functioning correctly. I don't know where that is on your model, but you may THINK it is turned on but perhaps it is still off. Again, use a multimeter to test the voltage.

I am assuming you checked all the 12V fuses in the panel as well.
12vDC does not come in to a converter… it goes out from a converter. 120vAC goes in to a converter.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Check this. There should be a reset button on the side (small black button). It is in line from the batteries. Just trace the wires from the batteries back.
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #5

No 12 v power when "unplugged usually has one of these three causes:

Battery Disconnect switch off;

Circuit breaker pictured in earlier post needs to be reset;

Reverse polarity fuses in power distribution center blown.

Start with a multimeter, with shore power disconnected, at the battery and check power along the main wire at every connection you can find. Make sure the 12 volt power is making it all the way to the power distribution center's fuse board.

Also check ground connections to the frame at the battery and from the Power distribution center to the frame (probably hidden by under belly cover. Hard to get to so save it for last in case you find the issue earlier in your search.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
When I am plugged in to shore power, everything works. When I unplug from shore power, I Don't have any 12v power.

If the 12 volt items work when plugged into shore power, but not when disconnected from shore power..this probably eliminates the converter being the culprit.

It sounds like you are not getting any 12 volt DC power when the converter is taken out of play. This will be usually the 12 volt DC circuit breaker as has been pointed out and is described in more detail here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...et-154141.html

or you possibly have a battery disconnect somewhere turned OFF, a few examples of which are here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ff-217978.html

It does sound like something is not allowing the battery only to power the RV, or for the converter to possibly recharge the batteries, explained here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #7

Problem solved

Thanks to everyone who responded. I checked the power coming out of the batteries and had 12.8v. Not full charge, but enough. I checked power coming into the fuse block. Nothing. The is a cover in the pin box storage that serves as a junction box. I pulled that and power going into one connection and none coming out. I asked dh what was on the other side in the basement. He said oh yeah, there is a generator switch over there. I asked him if he had messed with it. Yep. He had turned it to off. We don't have a Generator, but I guess it serves as a battery cut off as well. He says he had forgotten about it. Jeezy. Anyway, easy fix and I am happy again. Each time I run into a problem I learn something, so in the end I guess it's worth it. Also, now the converter is charging the batteries.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I checked the power coming out of the batteries and had 12.8v. Not full charge, but enough. I checked power coming into the fuse block. Nothing. The is a cover in the pin box storage that serves as a junction box. I pulled that and power going into one connection and none coming out. I asked dh what was on the other side in the basement. He said oh yeah, there is a generator switch over there. I asked him if he had messed with it. Yep. He had turned it to off. We don't have a Generator, but I guess it serves as a battery cut off as well. He says he had forgotten about it. Jeezy. Anyway, easy fix and I am happy again. Each time I run into a problem I learn something, so in the end I guess it's worth it. Also, now the converter is charging the batteries.
Good for you! Thanks for coming back and explaining your findings.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power