Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
JJT

No DC Power with Good Batteries

We have an 05 8241SS which has been fairly reliably with only a couple of minor issues until now. We just got back from Yellowstone Park and the first night it froze. That is when I discovered that I had no 12v power and thus no furnace! Good think we had plenty of blankets. I hadn't thought about the 12v power as the jacks and slider worked on my fully charged batteries. I ended up using an old extension cord I had to run a wire (+ wire only) directly from the battery to the correct lug in the converter and everything worked. So I'm thinking there is an in-line fuse somewhere in the positive wire from the battery to the converter. I had hoped for a wiring diagram but reading other posts it appears there are none. Since the jacks and slider work I suppose there could be a loose connection at the slider since I think the positive battery cable powers the slider before heading to the converter?

Does anyone know about hidden fuses? Or am I missing something? I haven't tried to trace the wire as it goes out of sight and I have the belly cover I need to remove. Thanks for the help, my first post.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #2

Happened to me on our 1st trip. Turned out there is a 40 amp fuse on the converter; that needed to be replaced. It's an automotive type fuse that is NOT on the fuses panel-face but rather on the converter behind the panel.
I'd look there first!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #3

I have a connection towards the front of the trailer on the right hand side facing the trailer (it's not covered by the belly liner) and it is 2" square with a couple of bolts to connect the battery cable on one side and the power cable going to the converter on the other.There is a reset button on the side that you push.I'm not sure if this will help,but it's easy to get at and would be a start before taking the belly cover off.
djalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

I've had the same problem, with the junction block/reset button the culprit. Follow your battery power wqire to the junction block- mine had to be replaced- 4 months old! I have one now with an auto reset, and haven't had any more problems. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
JJT

Thanks for the tips. I have pulled the converter and there is a 30 amp fuse but it feeds the tank heaters. I have seen the terminal block but didn't realize there may be a reset associated with it. I'll be checking that next.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #6

If you're Boon-docking, not plugged into shore power, your problem is most likely the main 12 Volt breaker located under the front of the trailer, at the inside rear of the "A" frame tongue.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
JJT

Thanks everyone for the help. It looks like I'm going to have to drop the belly covers to try and trace the wire and worst case I'll just run another wire from the battery to the converter. I just can't imagine what happened over the winter. Everything was fine when I winterized last fall.

Tags
battery