Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

No response from customer service

I have a brand new 2015 Forester 2861. On my first outing last week, I noted that on level highway and road, it pulls rather strongly to the right. The steering also seems "loose" in that it wanders back and forth in the lane, requiring constant correction. Tires are inflated properly and the load is average and well-distributed.
I've sent two emails and made a phone call (left voicemail) to Forest River to find out who to take it to to get this addressed. So far three days and no response to anything. I am VERY annoyed at this lack of customer service.

First - anyone have any input or personal experience with these steering findings?

Second - who do It take it to for this kind of warranty work? I'm quite far from my RV dealer. Do I take it to a closer "authorized" Forest RiverRV dealer or to a Ford repair facility (E-450)? How about another local shop that specializes in tires, alignment, etc for trucks and commercial vehicles (have great RV experience and reviews). I want to make sure it's covered by warranty and that they know what they're doing in this area?

Third - If FR is reading this, please get on the ball with your support! Extremely unhappy new customer.

Thanks,
Russ
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

I would try taking to a Ford dealer for that issue.

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

I agree. It's on a Ford chassis, so any issues there would have to be done at a Ford dealer, whether you take it there or the RV dealer takes it there for you.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Angry Forest River Reply

If you get a reply from Forest River, you should consider yourself lucky. So has been my personal experience. I'm out of warranty so I'm the new red headed step child in their fold. Good Luck!!
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Thanks all.

Forest River -I know you watch these forums. I have right in front of me this very nice welcome letter I got in the mail from you a couple of weeks ago. Thank you so much for your purchase and please contact us should you have any questions. So far, just empty words.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmd View Post
Thanks all.

Forest River -I know you watch these forums.
Are you sure? I've read here several times that they do not. We had a "factory man" as a member here but he moved to another company and I've seen nothing from a replacement.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks all.

Forest River -I know you watch these forums. I have right in front of me this very nice welcome letter I got in the mail from you a couple of weeks ago. Thank you so much for your purchase and please contact us should you have any questions. So far, just empty words.
please inform us on how you know FR watches these forums.
we have a 2 or 3 reps that are members here, but that's a personal choice.
never seen any evidence or corporate statement that they "watch" this forum.

Remember what's at the bottom of every page here:

DISCLAIMER:"ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

Why haven't you enlisted your dealer in helping you out, by finding another FR dealer or Ford dealer to sort out the problem? that's where you should start first, they're the ones that you paid for the RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Remember this is not a Forest River corporate forum. It is not connected with them.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #9

Russmd
I don't want to be a ***** but your dealer did a lousy job of getting you ready to own a MH. All chassis and drivetrain are taken care of by ford. If it's tires go to a dealer that carries the brand. Also get e mails and phone numbers from fellow owners so you can contact FR directly.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

Forest River

Go to the new Forest River website and look up the type of rv you own and then go to contacts and you will find your customer service reps phone #. I called Mon and this afternoon and was called back within an hour, and they are very helpfull.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:59 AM   #11

Thanks for all your input. I guess I had assumed they keep an eye on the forums as I've occasionally seen responses from some of their tech people. My error.
And you are correct Phil 57, my dealer walk-around was absolutely terrible (Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA). Guy was not very familiar with my type of coach and gave vague, general information. Missed a lot of specifics. Very disappointed.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all your input. I guess I had assumed they keep an eye on the forums as I've occasionally seen responses from some of their tech people. My error.
And you are correct Phil 57, my dealer walk-around was absolutely terrible (Mike Thompson RV in Colton, CA). Guy was not very familiar with my type of coach and gave vague, general information. Missed a lot of specifics. Very disappointed.
That dealership lost my brother & sister-in-law's business and later on also mine.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:20 AM   #13
Site Team

Well, having been to Mike Thompson in Colton and having read so many negative reviews about them on various RV forums, I can believe your experience.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Get an alinement done as soon as possible. FR will cover it if it is completed within the first 90 days of ownership. I would suggest taking it to a place like Cummings Coach Care, if you take it to a Ford dealership the alignment will be done to the specifications of the truck chassis not the motorhome. Whoever you take it to ask them if they have the Forest River specifications for the wheel alignment. Also you might want to think about getting a heavy duty sway bar installed .

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Chas69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Go to the new Forest River website and look up the type of rv you own and then go to contacts and you will find your customer service reps phone #. I called Mon and this afternoon and was called back within an hour, and they are very helpfull.
Russmd, Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc. is the link to which Poppytoymaker is referring.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #16
Always Learning

No response from customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Russmd, Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc. is the link to which Poppytoymaker is referring.

*Unless that brand has its own website or was acquired after a certain date. Then you have to go there instead.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #17

Quote:
I bought my Georgetown XL from Mike Thompson RV in Santa Fe Springs, Ca and I can tell you that they lied to me about ordering parts from Forest River. I personally contacted Forest River via phone and was told the parts were never ordered. I had other complaints about them that I will not bore you with. I sent letters to Mike Thompson's home, business address and to their managers attempting to get help and I can say I will never go back to them.
As far as Forest River is concerned, I believe they should be monitoring this forum as a way to judge whether they are doing a good job in public relations and as a way to better their product. If they are not monitoring this forum, they should be. That's my opinion and if I owned a business, I certainly would be.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

I have a new 2015 2300 Sunseeker. I questioned the tire pressures listed on doorsill and was told that was proper. It's not. The pressures are for the apsolute max load. My steering felt weird which caused me to ask. Have you weighed your rig? Go to the tire manufacrurers website to get the appropiate tire pressures for your current tire load. The tire pressure listed for my front tire is 75 PSI. Present weight requires 45 PSI. Overinflation makes your footprint round instead of flat. I have not been able to weigh my rig yet so this is just an opinion at this time, not a fact. I will know before my next trip. Good luck..
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryW View Post
I have a new 2015 2300 Sunseeker. I questioned the tire pressures listed on doorsill and was told that was proper. It's not. The pressures are for the apsolute max load. My steering felt weird which caused me to ask. Have you weighed your rig? Go to the tire manufacrurers website to get the appropiate tire pressures for your current tire load. The tire pressure listed for my front tire is 75 PSI. Present weight requires 45 PSI. Overinflation makes your footprint round instead of flat. I have not been able to weigh my rig yet so this is just an opinion at this time, not a fact. I will know before my next trip. Good luck..
Under inflation is one of the leading causes for premature tire failure.
By your own numbers you are now 30 PSI per tire under the manufacture's spec's, this could cause your tire warranty to be canceled or revoked.

The PSI chart is what you should be following not the amount your rig weighs at any given time.

I would never run steering tires under inflated, in a hard sharp turn the bead could break loose from the rim and could cause you to loose control.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #20

So you are saying you keep the same tire pressure in your truck whether it's loaded or not? According to Ford Help Line the pressures listed are for a GVWR of 12500 lbs. If my rig weighs less (about 10000 lbs) then it seems to me that the tire load is less and so should the pressure. I keep reading (over 18 years) to weigh my vechicle and then inflate tires accordingly. I can certainly entertain opinions from experience..
GerryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, service