Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #1

Not at full power

So I started my generator on my Vengeance 377V and all was well....now doesn’t seem like I am getting full power on shore power. For example, my microwave starts out strong then dims as iff its not getting enough power. Start up generator and I have full power and microwave works great. Kind of seems as though my outlets aren’t at full strength. I’ve tried resetting breaker panel, resetting GFI outlets and unplugging and reconnecting to shore power....same outcome. Anyone have this happen or know what it could be?
Derrio2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Please provide a little more info. Where is shore power being provided from. What type of plug. Sounds like there is a poor or loose connection in shore power connection. How are you accomplishing transfer from Shore power to generator? Is shore power permanently connected on one end or is both end plug-in?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

If you have a voltage meter, multi-meter or a Progressive brand EMS you can verify your line voltage and/or amperage. If you do not have these things, you should. Right now, it appears to me as if your shore power is not full voltage. What else is running when the microwave dims? Why does it seem that the outlets are not at full strength? Are you using an extension cord to get to shore power? If so, what size wires does it have?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Please provide a little more info. Where is shore power being provided from. What type of plug. Sounds like there is a poor or loose connection in shore power connection. How are you accomplishing transfer from Shore power to generator? Is shore power permanently connected on one end or is both end plug-in?
The power is coming from 50amp pedestal from campground....I made the mistake of not unplugging before running generator
Old 03-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
If you have a voltage meter, multi-meter or a Progressive brand EMS you can verify your line voltage and/or amperage. If you do not have these things, you should. Right now, it appears to me as if your shore power is not full voltage. What else is running when the microwave dims? Why does it seem that the outlets are not at full strength? Are you using an extension cord to get to shore power? If so, what size wires does it have?
I turned everything else off to see if maybe I was overloading but it was same result. The reason I say it’s something with outlets is because my fridge light is dim too. I’m plugged straight into 50 amp pedestal.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrio2006 View Post
I turned everything else off to see if maybe I was overloading but it was same result. The reason I say it’s something with outlets is because my fridge light is dim too. I’m plugged straight into 50 amp pedestal.
You must verify the voltage at the pedestal. 120 volts line 1 to neutral.. 120 volts line 2 to neutral. 240 volts line 1 to line 2. Then do the same at your transfer switch. Then do the same at you breaker panel.

Tell us how you transfer voltage from Ped to Gen.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You must verify the voltage at the pedestal. 120 volts line 1 to neutral.. 120 volts line 2 to neutral. 240 volts line 1 to line 2. Then do the same at your transfer switch. Then do the same at you breaker panel.

Tell us how you transfer voltage from Ped to Gen.
Ok I’ll have to check those.
My generator is wired in already it’s a toyhauler so it automatically switches over when generator is turned on.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

Check the shore connections in the transfer switch box. May find a problem there with a meter.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #9

Definitely sounds like the transfer switch.
Disconnect the shore power, no generator. Open transfer switch cover and check all the connections. Also inspect the contacts if visible.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Since you said you have a transfer switch, you should not have to worry about running the gen when connected to shore power. The transfer switch should select one or the other. If the pedestal voltage and the connecting plugs are all OK, it is possible that you have corroded contacts in you transfer switch on the shore power side. The breakers and GFCI will not contribute to this problem as they either work or they don't and they work when on Generator. There have been instances where the screw connections on the connector where the shore power cord enters the RV are loose. This can also cause the issue you are seeing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok I’ll have to check those.
My generator is wired in already it’s a toyhauler so it automatically switches over when generator is turned on.
First, iI keep a$15 AC volt meter plugged in an outlet, in ain view.

Second, how old is the rg and is it an automatic change over switch when the genset starts, or like my old rig and many class c rigs, do you pull the power cord, from the pedestal and plug in to a generator socket/outlet in the rig.

With auto transfer switch, your failure/short/or loose connection is the transfer switch itself, connections,cord or plug. That assumes that the pedestal is good. If this is a first time one time issue. Start by checking Park power.

Fourth of July a few years ago, an initially great pedestal, dropped from 120v in the AM, to 100 volts by afternoon when we all had AC running. On generator I Was fine.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:45 AM   #12

Quote:
The power is coming from 50amp pedestal from campground....I made the mistake of not unplugging before running generator
Why would that, in and of itself, normally be a mistake, if all connections, plugs and transfer switch are good?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #13

For fun I would try my 50-30 amp dogbone plugged into the 30 amp plug.

Some of the camp plugs I have seen do not look good. Loose etc.

One of the things a service tech does on your home ac unit every couple of years is tighten all screw in connections. The transfer switch is where I would look first.

Be careful with a voltmeter. This is serious stuff.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
So I started my generator on my Vengeance 377V and all was well....now doesn’t seem like I am getting full power on shore power. For example, my microwave starts out strong then dims as iff its not getting enough power. Start up generator and I have full power and microwave works great. Kind of seems as though my outlets aren’t at full strength. I’ve tried resetting breaker panel, resetting GFI outlets and unplugging and reconnecting to shore power....same outcome. Anyone have this happen or know what it could be?

I've had exactly the same problem in my Georgetown where I'm currently staying. I noticed it last October just before we left and nothing had been done to fix it when we arrived again this January. When I hooked up, I followed the recommended procedure of shutting off the circuit breaker for the 50A outlet before I plugged in. When I turned on the breaker, I heard a crackling sound from the breaker box.

An examination of the breaker showed that the feed line to the outlet was loose and badly corroded where it's inserted into the breaker's output connector. I cleaned up the oxidation on the wires and properly tightened the locking bolt after reinserting the wire in the connector. This solved the problem.

Somewhere in your electrical system, you have a loose/corroded connection. As already pointed out, the transfer switch, mains connection in the rig's breaker box, shore power socket, and shore power breaker are the first places to look for an issue. If you don't find it there, the microwave outlet is the next place to check for a problem.

A bad contact in the transfer switch is another place that could cause this problem. As pointed out already, a voltmeter applied to different locations should help you isolate the location of the issue. You'll need to use the meter while the microwave is running and drawing full power to locate the poor connection. An alternative to the microwave is to plug a space heater into the microwave outlet to provide a load on the circuit.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #15

if you find the voltage good at the pedestal, you may need to look further
this is what i found on mine after the 3 day of use and flaky power
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017050695152124.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	198245  

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
if you find the voltage good at the pedestal, you may need to look further
this is what i found on mine after the 3 day of use and flaky power
Isn't it nice that you pay rent on an RV space and then have to repair the electrical system for the park. Might want to make one send them a bill at regular electrician hourly rates.

Between loose electrical connections at the power pole and leaky faucets I've made countless repairs just so I could enjoy my time at various campgrounds without puddles or blinking lights.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #17

EMS is great, but for 10$ this is nice to have inside the coach as an instant moniter (plug it in amywhere).. From A'zon

DROK 90538 Flat Plug AC 80-300V Voltage Panel Power Line Volt Test Monitor Gauge*
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Isn't it nice that you pay rent on an RV space and then have to repair the electrical system for the park. Might want to make one send them a bill at regular electrician hourly rates.

Between loose electrical connections at the power pole and leaky faucets I've made countless repairs just so I could enjoy my time at various campgrounds without puddles or blinking lights.

Take a closer look at the picture. It looks like the connection on the side of his rv.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power