Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #61

Ahh, this is such a classic oil thread. The original questions were answered in post #2, using three sentences, and then the original poster said, “Thank you”. Now it is up to, what, post #61?

I wonder if the questions were about brake fluid or coolant instead, if people could have this much to say about such simple questions.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Ahh, this is such a classic oil thread. The original questions were answered in post #2, using three sentences, and then the original poster said, “Thank you”. Now it is up to, what, post #61?

I wonder if the questions were about brake fluid or coolant instead, if people could have this much to say about such simple questions.

The OP is still engaged in this thread which has evolved to talking about other things. Is that OK with you?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The OP is still engaged in this thread which has evolved to talking about other things. Is that OK with you?

Yes, it's quite alright. I just said it was a classic oil thread.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #64

Whether it's talking about oil, diesel vs. gas, motor home vs. 5'ER or any other subject that comes up on this or any forum, its called conversation. As long as the initial inquiry gets answered by someone that knows, what difference does it make how long the thread goes on for. Another way of looking at it since this is an RV Forum is think of a group of dudes, and ladies too, sitting around a campfire with a beverage of choice in hand. Easily a subject from oil for diesel can morph into who makes the best oil filters, to fuel filters, to how and when do you change your oil and probably the reason why and so forth. The conversation will end when either the beer is gone, ran out of firewood, or, the Mrs'. yell get your a.. in here now!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Whether it's talking about oil, diesel vs. gas, motor home vs. 5'ER or any other subject that comes up on this or any forum, its called conversation. As long as the initial inquiry gets answered by someone that knows, what difference does it make how long the thread goes on for. Another way of looking at it since this is an RV Forum is think of a group of dudes, and ladies too, sitting around a campfire with a beverage of choice in hand. Easily a subject from oil for diesel can morph into who makes the best oil filters, to fuel filters, to how and when do you change your oil and probably the reason why and so forth. The conversation will end when either the beer is gone, ran out of firewood, or, the Mrs'. yell get your a.. in here now!
That sounds like the "Voice of Experience".................It mirrors mine!!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Since my 2015 RAM is no longer under warranty, is that something I should consider? When I was at one dealer, he told me to have something removed after truck is out of warranty so that I no longer have to use DEF. Is this the same thing?

Thank you.
A Ram dealer suggested you should violate EPA laws?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #67
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yes, a small dealership in the mid-west. Some people are more practical than others.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #68

Quote:
Yes, a small dealership in the mid-west. Some people are more practical than others.
In the SW, it's harder to find a stock diesel than a deleted one. My family deletes their new trucks as soon as there is a delete kit for them. And the dealers still do warranty work on them. All of our trucks get much better mpg and produce more power, and have far fewer failures. Most engine failures are related to the epa emissions add-ons.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most engine failures are related to the epa emissions add-ons.

Have any examples of actual engine failures due to emissions equipment?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #70

Quote:
Guess I have to be specific. The engine is fine, the problems are caused by DPF, DEF, EGR, and related emission systems failing, causing the engine to shutdown or go into limp mode. But then you knew that....
Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #71

Great reading ... thanks to all .... my first oil change will be done at dealership in the am ... I am being given a loner since they will do a recall also and I will not be allowed to wait{thanks} ... keep posting helps with my shelter in place
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #72

Synthetic Rotella or Delo is what you want for diesels.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #73

Quote:
In the SW, it's harder to find a stock diesel than a deleted one. My family deletes their new trucks as soon as there is a delete kit for them. And the dealers still do warranty work on them. All of our trucks get much better mpg and produce more power, and have far fewer failures. Most engine failures are related to the epa emissions add-ons.
A highly debatable declaration.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #74

Quote:
Guess I have to be specific. The engine is fine, the problems are caused by DPF, DEF, EGR, and related emission systems failing, causing the engine to shutdown or go into limp mode. But then you knew that....

Yes, I knew that. The point that I was getting at was claiming "engine failure" when the engine is fine is a bit of an alarmist thing to do and doesn't really help anyone new to diesels understand what the potential issues are.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #75

Quote:
Nice to hear FCA will still honor the factory warranty after doing a delete.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #76

Quote:
Nice to hear FCA will still honor the factory warranty after doing a delete.
I didn't say anything about the manufacturers. Certain dealers will do warranty work on deleted diesels. They get work approved by wording things appropriately for their goal. I guess they want to keep their customers.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #77

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the manufacturers. Certain dealers will do warranty work on deleted diesels. They get work approved by wording things appropriately for their goal. I guess they want to keep their customers.
I was being facetious. Rephrasing, it's nice to hear dealers will do warranty work on deleted trucks as long as you have the right connections..wink-wink.
During my last service visit at a Ram dealer, the service writer plugged into my OBDII port which connects directly to FCA in Auburn Hills. I'm thinking they will know rather quickly if I am running a tune.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #78

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how these things go in the future.

From Spokane, in eastern Washington State: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ompanies-agre/

Summary: three diesel "speed shops" in the Spokane area were fined a combined $180,000 by the US EPA for selling more than 70,000 parts between 2016 and 2018 which were designed to bypass air quality standards. The parts included tuners, exhaust parts that eliminated emissions controls, and parts that alter the function of the EGR system.

The fines were intended to let the shops stay in business, but what are the chances that they are still in *that* business? I would imagine that a second round of fines might be a lot more punitive.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #79

Dodge ram motor oil

I use Shell Rotell
my truck is a 2000 dodge dully 5.9 47re when i got the truck it was ruff
Old black betty used oil all most a qt
i started using
Shell rotela 15w40 full synetic

Now Old black betty she dont use oil any more i change it every 1,500 Max 2,000
we are in the snow belt Upstate Ny
black betty got 2 new rear door's New 47re trans with mutable billet parts, custom torque converter,New Air dog fuel system, all new U joints, New radiator, new clutch fan & blade water pump, new driver seat,riped out the entire carpet caned the water soaked mat, noise deadener, new black dimon exhaust.
ok ok ill shut up but theres more ..
yes Shell Rotell Full on synetic
morfed sorry:tri nk39:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #80

Quote:
I know this is not on the Cummins engines but it is still a diesel engine issues.

Yes, on VW TDI diesel engines that are equipped the 2010 emission systems. VW did updated the software for the ECM in 2017, that was required by the FEDS which help.

Tags
3500, 500, diesel