Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

onboard gen problem

we're at a rest area in Iowa with a generator that will start but will not run on both circuits (same circut when flipped on makes gen shut down). So no A/C and it's 105 degrees.

Any suggestions? HELP!
Susan
(quite wilted)
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
we're at a rest area in Iowa with a generator that will start but will not run on both circuits (same circut when flipped on makes gen shut down). So no A/C and it's 105 degrees.

Any suggestions? HELP!
Susan
(quite wilted)
DH has disconnected all the electrical from it - still trips and shuts down. Breaker trips when reset and generator gives an 27 error code. Verified wiring in plug end.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Oh and we tried cutting the power (think hard re-boot) to the gen to allow it to "re-set" which also didn't work.

We were told that Ornan generators can only be fixed by Cummings dealers. We found one in Des Moine open until 11pm, however the first available spot isn't until Monday.

Susan
still quite thoroughly wilted
Now in a reststop 90 miles West of Des Moine, Iowa where it's 100 degrees. It's dropped along the route to 97 and risen as high as 107.
Onwards towards Mt. Rushmore
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

Susan the error code 27 is a voltage sense code. The computer is unable to detect output voltage. The repair manual says "see authorized Onan dealer" Sorry I havn't had time to go into my generator (I just got my 2005 georgetown) so other than that I am unable to give you any other help.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #5

Found a powered site for the night in South Dakota (and the a/c is working - so I'm no longer as wilted). Hopefully will be able to find someone to do a generator repair in the morning but this is cutting into vacation - Wall Drug Store, and Mt. Rushmore on schedule!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #6

Found a Cummings dealer in South Dakota.
Didn't end up needing the generator repaired. Turned out the problem is the junction box which the generator connects to - mounted along with the generator in the same compartment. The cheap wire nuts used inside the junction box fell apart. The wire part still on the wire ends but exposed because the plastic bit fell off. The wire bits shorted to the side of the junction box and the generator was shutting off when it detected the short. Fortunately the generator was working as it should. Where else in the coach are these cheap wire nuts used? Time to find and replace!

So those of you with generators - take the time to open up the junction box and either tape the existing wire nuts in place or replace them with a good quality one! I have pictures if any one is interested.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Lottery Non-Winner

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It's never good when something interferes with vacation. I would like to see at least one of those pictures as I have no idea which pieces/parts you are referring to. Thanks.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

I would like to see pictures if possible. I'm having problems with my generator. My code is 32 and I've been told that I should check the brushes. But heck, while I'm in there I might as well look for loose wires or nuts too.
Flyboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #9

Don't have the pictures on the computer yet. Perhaps if I explain better. The generator plugs into a junction box (think household wiring where wires meet - metal square box). There the generator wires are connected to the camper wires. The connections - held together by cheap wire nuts - were the source of the short. The plastic bit on the outside of the wire nut simply fell off. The metal screw inside of the wire nut was still holding the wires together - but bare. This bare metal connection was shorting out against the inside of the metal junction box - evidenced by sooty char marks. Pictures will follow thank you for the reminder. OK to get to this (at least on our unit) you have to lie on the ground and look up and sort of behind. My suggestion is for everyone to replace those wire nuts with know to be good quality ones.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #10

Wirenut primer--- Marrette (black in colour) twist-on (33, 35 etc) are good, so are Ideal (yellow in colour) but the best I have found is 3M. Difficult to find but you could try an electrical supply/wholesaler. They have a rubber skirt, blue fits everything the 31, 33 and some of the 35 wirenuts by Marr. One trick, after tightening the wirenut by hand, use plyers to to get about 1/2 more turn. The nuts will NOT fall off. By the way it is not necessary to pre-twist the wire, just make sure the ends are even and stripped the same length 3/8th inch so that the copper does not show with the wirenut installed. Tape is optional but unnecessary.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
10Isola

Susan. I too am having generator problems, but my issues are with the overall mounting of the unit. It is very wobbly. Looks like it is missing a bracket to stabilize the unit. I too would love to see the pics when you get around to it. Additionally, I believe we have the same units. When you get the time check the your orange hydraulic leveling lines. I'm finding out that it is common for these to blister as mine already have. Take care. Thanks.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote