Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

OneControl Wifi Hotspot DC Power Connector

I have been looking and looking. I can't find the correct part to connect the Lippert Wifi On the Go DC power adapter. I pulled the faceplate from the TT. I bought this from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure this is the correct one yet. I will find out tomorrow when we go by the storage yard.

I can't believe that there is ZERO documentation for this. I have asked if anyone has done this, but I guess not. Once I find out, I'll do thread just for that. It's crazy.

I'm looking for the DC connector that goes from the DC 12V/ DC In-Line Power Supply 716722 to the OneControl Hotspot plate. There are 2 - BNC connectors for the 4G antenna and one for the 12V DC connection. I need the corresponding connector.

Here is the PDF for the Wifi unit: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001295.pdf

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_124714.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	231496  
SeabrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #2

I ended up ordering these from Amazon. Fingers crossed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee
Old 06-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #3

So, I finally found the correct connector. You will need a 2.5mm connector, like this from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...d-b31d6b1bfbee.

Also, you can use an old Wall Wart and cut off the end of its plug and use it, which is what I'm doing. I hope this helps someone!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

Did you ever write a thread on this device? I have just bought a rig and found this very device. I was hoping to find out just what I needed to connect to it to get it to work, and what it even does! Are you able to share more details? Your thread here is the only reference about this specific device that I can find.
sav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #5

My apologies.

So, the WiFi-on-the-go gear will allow you to have internet using either T-Mobile (which I use and will discuss), AT&T or Rogers in Canada.
It will NOT use Verizon, so please don't waste your money trying. They use different radio bands for their 4G connections. There is another one that does the same thing but adds the remote connection to the rig from anywhere, subscription free. I don't need that, so I went with just the Internet.

You get the power supply, the "router/gateway", and antennas for 4G/3G and WiFi. If your rig is pre-configured with the black plate on the roof for the external antennae, all you have to do is get up there, mine is accessible from the side with a ladder without having to actually walk on the roof. Once you connect the external ears to the 2 wires up there, make sure you seal it with some silicon, I didn't the first time and we got rain inside the rig.

As for the inside, with the power connectors I spoke on, just wire those up to the included power supply, you only need one, it comes with 2. Plug it in and you got Internet after you get an Internet provider of course. If you follow the instructions that comes with it, you'll want to change the Wireless network name and password from the default. ALWAYS RECOMMENDED! Then connect your gear like at home.

As for the wireless carrier options, I chose T-Mobile, first because I'm a T-Mobile customer and love them. Secondly because for $10/month on a post-paid plan, you get 2GB of 4G data and then UNLIMITED 3G or slower data, which you can up the amount you want at any time. You can also choose to get the same $10/month 2GB plan as a pre-paid account. That works for those that don't plan to camp much. There is a $10 SIM card fee to get a new SIM card from T-Mobile unless you have a spare somewhere. We have had it running since my last post and have used about 25GB of data streaming movies from home and Netflix along with SlingTV and have not seen a slow down in speeds or quality of the stream.

I didn't want to use AT&T because they are MUCH MORE RESTRICTIVE on their data allotment and I don't believe they give you unlimited data after you go over your limit. I have them in my RAM 1500 as it came with the truck and when we hit the free 3 GB, it turned off, which turned me off. LOL!

One last thing. With the unit, you do not have to mount it or use the external ears, it is a fully portable unit with the wall wart that comes with it and in fact that is how we used it the first trip out with it. It will decrease your range of signal picking up your 4G data, but not that much, it is still better than trying to use your phone as a tether.

If you have any other questions, let me know. We're heading out for the 4th to a more distant site, so I'll be testing the signal strength. Hope this helps!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #6

SeabrooksFam: The pictured wall plate is what I have in the unit that I just purchased. How does one use it? I have searched the web and this is the only thread that I could find that references it. How is it integrated into the system that you purchased? How are the 3 coax cable connectors used? This plate is located on the wall in our hallway. Lci1.com makes no mention of a "OneControl Hotspot".
cwmobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #7

That is the inside connection locAtion for your outdoor antenna on the roof. It is also the power location to power your gateway.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #8

Hi there so how did you “

connect the external ears to the 2 wires up there, make sure you seal it with some silicon, I didn't the first time and we got rain inside the rig. “
Travislockhart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Well my rig was pre-wired for the external connection for the antennae. I simply took the cover plate off and screwed the 2 wires from the rig to the external antennae. There are less screws used on the antennae than the cover plate, so you have to cover that plate with silicon after attachment or it will leak. It's in the documentation for the kit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

Here is the Hotspot kit, we are considering purchasing. How is the T-Mobile coverage going?

https://store.lci1.com/onecontrol-ho...it-805592.html
NovaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSam View Post
Here is the Hotspot kit, we are considering purchasing. How is the T-Mobile coverage going?

You can also look up the external antenna part number 722255 and just but that, maybe the cables for inside and use a different modem if needed.
NovaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSam View Post

Sorry for the delay, never got a notification of the reply. But T-Mo has been solid, but we haven't gone too far from civilization recently.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #13

Question

I see this thread is pretty old did u figure it out
tintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintodd View Post
I see this thread is pretty old did u figure it out
I'm sorry, but figure what out?
Old 12-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #15

Dc power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabrooksFam View Post
I'm sorry, but figure what out?
Hooking up your one control to dc power I just ordered mine yesterday sorry for the confusion
tintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintodd View Post
Hooking up your one control to dc power I just ordered mine yesterday sorry for the confusion
I got an old 5V brick power supply with the same plug that would fit the power connector on the plate. had my electrical department at work wire it nice and secure with heat shrink wrap on the 2 wires. The hard part was figuring out the positive and negative from the brick wires.

I also ran into issues lately that the battery would drain on the RV, not sure what's going on, could be the cold, wet weather we are having in NE Florida. But I had a battery backup from another project I was doing at home, that helps, but my cameras are still going offline. We are camping this weekend so I'm hoping to figure that out. I know my better half left the fridge on and I left the water pump on from our last rip, so that drained the battery. We have solar that usually would keep the battery charged, so I'm hoping a weekend of camping will charge the battery back up to normal. I'll look for that littel battery backup I have online and add the link here.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #17

Battery Backup

This is the battery backup I have that I am using for the RV now.

https://konnected.io/collections/sho...backup-battery

There maybe others that aren't branded because this is a later model with Konnected's logos on it.

You simply plug the battery in, it comes with a cable to plug into the RV, then plug the power supply that would normally go into the wall plate into the battery and power the battery on. Now you have backup battery supply.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #18
Retired Army MSG!

I know this thread is about a year old now but I just purchased a new 5vr that is prepped for the hotspot. I would like to know if it is really worth spending the extra dollars to complete the kit. I am a T Mobile cell and home internet user currently. I have been working remote since last March and taken several week long trips and used my cell phone as my hot spot with pretty good results. I like the idea of having the RV hotspot but just trying to weigh the pros and cons.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I know this thread is about a year old now but I just purchased a new 5vr that is prepped for the hotspot. I would like to know if it is really worth spending the extra dollars to complete the kit. I am a T Mobile cell and home internet user currently. I have been working remote since last March and taken several week long trips and used my cell phone as my hot spot with pretty good results. I like the idea of having the RV hotspot but just trying to weigh the pros and cons.
Here is the thing. If you are doing week-long trips, the answer is YES! But to be honest, I have found that we still use our phone's hotspots on SOME trips because the weather is foul and spend more time inside so that means more streaming. T-Mobile can be awful nice on the throttling, or they can be brutal. Depends on the area and other factors which they explain somewhere on their site. But for the sheer convenience of the setup for the RV, it's like being at home...most trips. :-) ymmv
Old 02-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #20

One control faceplate

I just purchased a 36BHQ Sabre that came with the wifi prep. I can't locate the faceplate anywhere. This is a 2021. I'm going to verify if they even ran cables to the antenna mount but thought I'd ask.
Kmac22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, wifi