Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

Outdoor Speakers Intermittently work

Hi,

I have a Heritage Glen 312qbud. The outdoor speakers intermittently work. I've had the radio replaced once but are still having the same issue. I'll be getting a 2nd radio this weekend. If it happens with this new radio again, what else could it be?

When it does work, sometimes the volume is really low (even if I have it at max volume) but then the volume fixes itself. After I shut it off and put it back on at a later time, sometimes it won't work. Could it be a wiring issue?

Thanks
ijnasrallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
The "Easy" things to check ...
  • Make sure speakers are wired "properly" - they are NOT DC or Common grounded, so if the +/- pairs are not where they belong, stange things will occur.
  • Likely, the speaker wires are color-coded pairs between the radio head, and the speakers themselves (i.e. zip cord pairs with one of pair striped) so validating the proper pairings is easy.
  • check DC resistance of speakers - should be in the 2.5 - 3 ohm range for "typical" 4-ohm mobile speakers (expect 6-7 for house-type 8-ohm speakers.)
  • Repeat check of speaker impedance from radio end - you are looking for a short in the speaker wires.
  • Failing speakers - intermittent or burned voice coils - could give symptoms such as you report.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Thanks. This trailer is new, so I'm hoping it's not the wiring. If this new radio doesn't fix it, I'll have to take it back to the dealer.
ijnasrallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

Had one non working speaker on our new Lacrosse and found a bad crimp at the speaker. Who woulda thought that you needed to strip the insulation from both wires before attaching the connector?
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Bene Gesserit Rule

I have had the radio replaced twice and the outside speakers still failed. The problem is with the radio. I got fed up, replaced the whole thing with a cheap after market radio/DVD player and wired in my own switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV & Radio 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	713.1 KB
ID:	149076  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Had one non working speaker on our new Lacrosse and found a bad crimp at the speaker. Who woulda thought that you needed to strip the insulation from both wires before attaching the connector?
I just discovered a similar issue this weekend. I thought I blew one of the exterior speakers.
I removed the speaker from the wall to find out the factory ran out of female spade connectors used to plug into the speaker. They had a connector on one wire and just bent the other wire into a "U" and slide it through the hole on the male speaker terminal.
I added a new spade connector, all is well now.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door